encore prohunter muzzle loader

i have a prohunter with the 28inch stainless fluted barrel. my question or problem is this, the first shot is dead on, very accurate at 100 yards but the second and third shot is not even on a 4foot by 5foot target. i have to clean it between every shot if i want to hit the target. i am using 777 powder with hornady sst bullets. does anybody else run into this? i got some powerbelts the other day and shot a 3 shot group(without cleaning between shots) at 30 yards and they were very accurate but i didnt have the time to shoot it at 100 yards. i know i need to shoot it at 100 yards to see what really happens but is cleaning between every shot normal or is that just a bad bullet/powder combo?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should NOT have to clean between shots to at least get close to your previous shot. I like the powerbelts as well. Your rifle doesn't like the SST's for some reason. Maybe the sabot's?

Can you feel a difference between the SST's (also a very good bullet) and the PB's when your ramming them? One go in easier than the other? I wouldn't think your pellets would matter but I have always used the pyrodex with great results.

they both feel the same on the first shot as far as loading them. the second shot, after the barrel is a lilttle dirty, loads harder for the pb then the sst. pyrodex is the only thing i have ever used and enjoy the easy clean up! i guess my gun just doesn't like sst. i will have a bunch for sale soon. lol i did call thompson and they said send the gun in. but i dont want to send it in and be without it during season. plus i would rather find the problem myself if possible.

Guest Jcochran88

I have the endeavor model and have no problems, I shot 777 and tc shockwaves. Can shoot 4 to 5 times before I start to become inaccurate but even then I am shooting in an 10 circle at 100yrds.

I have always shot powerbelts over 2 50 gr 777pellets through my encore. I have always had good results. When shooting at the range, I would never shoot more than 3-4 times without running a patch down the barrel. If I did my part, I would get approx 2.5", 3 shot groups.

You really need to shoot the powerbelts at 100yards. Let us know they group when you do. Also what weight powerbelts do you shoot?

i got the 245gr with the green tips. i am shooting 3 pellets of 777 as i can shoot up to 300 yards in some places. i want to try some of the hollow points (the green tip got stuck on the end of my ram rod when i loaded one of the power belts) and different grains as well. the green tip got stuck on the end of my ram rod when i loaded one of them. what grains do you think i should try with 150gr powder, i just went by using a lighter bullet with more powder.

Mine was a 45cal and I shot 195 gr powerbelts. The amount of powder can really effect accuracy. If you can not get it group with 3 pellets, you might want to consider switching to 777powder. That way you can start at 120 grains and work your load up 10 grains at a time till your trajectory and accuracy are both acceptable. If you don't have a lot invested in powerbelts already, switching to a 200-220 gr round will allow you to use less powder.

I had a problem with the plastic tips sticking in my ram rod as well. I found a set screw that fit the end of the ram rod. That way there really was not a hole for the tip to get stuck in.