Not seeing any deer .

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

I'm starting to get a complex, I haven't seen the first deer since the season started.

Seeing plenty of sign and seeing a few rubs but haven't seen a thing, not even a doe.

I'm hunting more evenings than I did last year but still a little stumped.

Hopefully things will start to improve now some colder weather has moved in.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to get a complex, I haven't seen the first deer since the season started.

Seeing plenty of sign and seeing a few rubs but haven't seen a thing, not even a doe.

I'm hunting more evenings than I did last year but still a little stumped.

Hopefully things will start to improve now some colder weather has moved in.

I think they're all in NE TN. My wife had to dodge 4 yesterday between Bristol and Johnson City.

Guest clutepc

lol..must be..It's about that way in Franklin,

I guess I was spoiled last year, by the 2nd week I was seeing a ton of doe and fawns and a couple button bucks.

Seems like most most of the hunters here have been seeing something.

Guest clutepc

being in a few different types of areas, tonight I was between 2 large fields.

All the areas I'm hunting have plenty of fresh sign, they must just be moving late I guess.

waste a day and walk the area and find out where their bedding by jumping them up. Then you'll know where to set up. I've also noted that when they feed heavy at night and get bedded down early, they usually move around noon while most hunters have come out to have their lunch. If your not seeing em early, go in around 10 am and sit to dark so you see if they do any moving mid day. This will generally be in the wooded area and they move towards staging areas to go out and feed at dark.

Guest clutepc
waste a day and walk the area and find out where their bedding by jumping them up. Then you'll know where to set up. I've also noted that when they feed heavy at night and get bedded down early, they usually move around noon while most hunters have come out to have their lunch. If your not seeing em early, go in around 10 am and sit to dark so you see if they do any moving mid day. This will generally be in the wooded area and they move towards staging areas to go out and feed at dark.

Good point, I'll give that a try later this week,

clutepc,

The movement cycles have been tough. The deer were up moving between 1pm and 3pm today and then didn't move again until after dark. The full moon the first weekend of season had them moving all night and mid day. They moved well on Monday and Tuesday evening, and then moved good in the morning, between daylight and 9am the rest of the week. This weekend was back to poor feeding times not near dawn and dusk. Things should be good Tuesday through Thursday in the mornings if the weather cooperates.

I saw a lot of deer today, but I saw all of them between 1 and 3pm. Saw 4 different groups of deer with 3-5 deer per group. Problem was that I was moving stands while the deer were feeding. I had a buddy to help so I took advantage of the help and worked instead of hunting. I sat on a field from 4pm till dark and didn't see a single deer.

Guest clutepc

where do you hunt jeff??? :)

Whiskey: I didn't get out until late today which didn't help I know.

I'll try and get out one morning sometime this week, I'm lucky with having a flexible schedule and a wife that covers for me, so as long as work isn't too crazy I should be able to make it out.

thanks for the suggestions,

Guest jackdm3

Hernando, MS is flush. FIL had to go to a digital camera to record the nocturnal activities because the old one (35MM) was wasting too much money for development, there's that much visitation at night (10PM to 7AM) and we see them daytime lots, too. Almost destroyed two 8 points careening through the country roads 3 weeks ago at night.

seeing em all over the place here in Sumner and Wilson counties on the way to work. Heck, two were bedded down watching traffic go by last week just off I-40 near 109. Not 40 feet off the road. I'm missing not being able to hunt this fall.

When I first saw this thread, I just figured they were all hiding from your .458 SOCOM :). Guess the ones around you know it's only bow season.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I managed to get that one 8 point on the second day of season but other than one little fawn running by herself I have not seen ANY other deer in my area. This area is usually good for at least seeing some movement every single day. They do seem to be moving at irregular times - not typical winter movement patterns. Although, I am starting to see more on the sides of the roads in early morning/late evening times so I think in the next 2-4 weeks we should start seeing things "normalize" a bit.

When I first saw this thread, I just figured they were all hiding from your .458 SOCOM :). Guess the ones around you know it's only bow season.

They better! Still waiting on upper #2 to come in from RRA and getting a little something special in a lower, but it's all coming together now. Should be up and running well before opening day!

Guest clutepc

well I saw plenty of deer tonight, finally!!

drew back on two doe, one turned and I didn't have a shot on her, the other had a fawn on her heels so I let her walk.

saw 7 deer today hunting, made me feel better I was starting to get a complex...