S & W M&P 9c

ovaltine52

Hi, folks:

Okay, heater here at the house wouldn't fire up & had to call a tech. Got me taken care of, then I saw a holster in his belt. Then he was very gracious to show me his two S & W M&P 40's he had with him, one being the "compact" which spun my beanie.

For all purposes I really believe the 9mil will suit me best. Just checking it out, I liked everything about it. He hadn't had the compact long but said he's gone thru 2K rounds with no mishaps with his M&P 40. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an opportunity to fire an M&P 9c later this month.

I'm really thinking hard about bagging an M&P 9c.

So let me hear from you; pros/cons, etc.

I appreciate your time! :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman

Welcome to TGO! The M&P series is spoken about quite often here, and the search feature will likely bring you good results as to the pros/cons, etc. I've read lots of great reviews on them and although I don't own one personally (yet), I don't think you would be making a bad choice necessarily.

I own a M&P 9c and it's one of my best shooters. Easy to carry and conceal in a pancake or IWB holster. I know of some who carry it in an ankle holster.

If you are a fan of the .45, you might also want to look at the M&P 45c as well. I have one that is my EDC and it is one of my favorites.

I have am M&P9c as well and am well pleased with it. My wife carries the Bodyguard 380 but loves to shoot the 9c and I must say she is very good with both. I had to tweak the rear site just a tad to bring it to center but it is a sweet running auto. It is my EDC and also resides on the night stand at night.

i've had my 40c for about 6 months or so now, and i love it. i would recommend putting in the APEX sear, though. the trigger was "ok" until i did that, and now it's awesome. i've heard putting in the other APEX upgrades turns the entire trigger pull into magic, but i haven't tried one with them, yet.

Wow, thankew folks! Getting a good education here.

Yes shspanthers; I did check out the APEX sear & saved the website to favs. That's the advice/stuff I'm looking for, & I appreciate that.

Sent you a PM, SWJewellTN. I'm new to the TGO forum "controls", so I'm not sure it took. :-\ Pleez lemme know if you did/didn't get my PM.

Appreciate the advice! :D

i shot the m&p 9mm (full size) for the first time today. I was every impressed. I shot it a lot better than my G26 (not sure that's a fair comparison since one is a compact and one is full size.) It was impressive enough the m&p9c has moved way up on my wish list.

Guest motonut
I went with 40 S&W in compact. I was then able to purchase a .357 Sig barrel and use the mags it came with. Then I got a 9mm conversion barrel and use my wifes mags from her M&P 9c. You can also use the full size mags in the compact for more capacity.
Just to make Tarheel's comment a little clearer w/ a .40 cal pistol you can get conversion kits (a barrel usually) and 9mm mags and then shoot .40 or 9mm w/ the same gun. I've done that with both my Sig 229 and XD40 Sub Compact. You CAN'T go the other way (put a .40 barrel in a 9mm gun). Also, if you choose to go w/ a 357 kit (on a .40 gun) you can still use the .40 mags, you don't need to get special 357 mags.

The only downside to this is it adds to your mag collection, I've got 3 or 4 mags of both .40 and 9mm for both guns. I have to remember to check which ones I'm grabbing when I head for the range.

I've owned a 9c for over a year now. I absolutely love it. I have the crimson trace grips and a Hogue slip on grip on top of them. The combo in addition to a mag with the factory pinky extension makes it very controllable during double taps. It has been a flawless performer and surprisingly accurate for a 3.5in barrel. Get one when you find the deal that is right for you. Remember, the trigger on a new M&P gets much better with use. It really comes in to its own at about the 500 rnd mark. Good luck!

Thankew, motonut, tbone, & everyone else for that matter. I get it with the break in period, & yes, the barrels are more/less interchangeable (conversion kit), like you can go down from a 40 to a 9, but can't go up from 9 to 40. Good stuff to know.

Definitely getting my ducks in a row, thankew folks! :)

i've had my 40c for about 6 months or so now, and i love it. i would recommend putting in the APEX sear, though. the trigger was "ok" until i did that, and now it's awesome. i've heard putting in the other APEX upgrades turns the entire trigger pull into magic, but i haven't tried one with them, yet.

The sear is the biggest improvement, but the whole duty carry kit is the best way to go.

Guest Underground

I have a "medium" size M&P 9mm I got a couple of months ago, lovely pistol. About 1600 rounds through it so far with no unintentional malfunctions. Defnitely install the Apex hard sear and ultimate striker block, it makes for an incredibly sweet trigger, very short reset.

About the only complaint is that all the sights I've found for it that I like have the silly Novak style ramped rear sight.

Oh yes, and the mags sit more or less flush with the bottom of the grip which doesn't really leave anything to grip or snag on a belt to rip out a mag. That was easily remedied though by carving out the front bottom edge of the grip so that it exposes the nice front lip on the floor plate.

Edited by Underground