Taking my 3yr old son on his first deer hunting trip this weekend

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I know, sounds crazy right? At 2 years old I took him squirrel hunting ( he had to take his BB gun of course) and we hunted for nearly 2 hours and he did absolutely everything I told him to do and stayed perfectly quiet. We even got a few shots at some tree rats, but they were too far away and the iron sights on my .22 weren't cutting it. I have been promising him a deer hunting trip and he is not letting me forget it. Since I harvested a nice buck on opening weekend, the pressure is off and I can relax and take him out there, not worrying if he gets antsy and scares any off.

About 3 weeks back I brushed in a ground blind in a good transition area that is covered in trails. Saturday will be the test to see how the little guy does. I remember going with my dad at about that age and it didn't matter what we saw, I just got the biggest kick out of "hunting with my dad". Now it is time for me to pass that joy on to my son.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats cool! I took my daughter with me last year she was 2-1/2 I had to laugh at myself walking back to our blind, because in my back pack instead of my ropes, knifes and hunting gear I had barbies coloring books and baby dolls. WE HAD A BLAST! After about 3 hours, Im scanning the tree line I dont see anything and she kept tugging my shirt telling me to "look down at the creek daddy that deer has horns" I blew it off because everything that moved was a deer. Come to find out it was the biggest deer that I shot all year a nice 8pointer. So now I have a new hunting buddy cause it seems her eyes are better than mine. This was one of the best hunting trips that i have ever had.

thats cool! I took my daughter with me last year she was 2-1/2 I had to laugh at myself walking back to our blind, because in my back pack instead of my ropes, knifes and hunting gear I had barbies coloring books and baby dolls. WE HAD A BLAST! After about 3 hours, Im scanning the tree line I dont see anything and she kept tugging my shirt telling me to "look down at the creek daddy that deer has horns" I blew it off because everything that moved was a deer. Come to find out it was the biggest deer that I shot all year a nice 8pointer. So now I have a new hunting buddy cause it seems her eyes are better than mine. This was one of the best hunting trips that i have ever had.

Thats awesome.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Well bummer, little dude has come down with a cough and cold like symptoms. gonna have to roll this trip a week it looks like. ;)