To Trade or Not to Trade...

East_TN_Patriot

Well, I have a Springfield XDM in .40S&W that is pretty much like new. I love it. I recently purchased a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in .40S&W that uses the Glock 22 mags. It would be sweet to have a Glock 22 so the mags would be interchangeable. I can't get the Glock without trading the Springfield. So the question is: should I make the trade for a NIB Glock 22 or keep the Springfield? :shake:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a range that rents Glocks. I did to compare my 1911 side by side, handling and shooting. Still have the 1911 and will never own a Glock. See if someone around you has one and will let you shoot it. I think you will stick with the XD, but find out for yourself or you'll always have that itch to try a Glock. I also prefer my XD over the Glock not only for the fit and feel, but the grip safety is another piece of mind while carrying. People who have the Glock swear by them because it fits them. Try one out yourself and see if it fits your style and feel. It's all about personal preference, not others opinions. Most ranges that have the HCP class should rent a Glock.

Edited by flyanything

I would make the trade. Glock 22 is as fine a defense weapon as there ever was. It is lighter by over 9 ounces. The Glock is much easier to find accessories and aftermarket parts for. Mags, holsters, sights etc. Read some reviews and comparisons between the two guns. Not a lot of difference but most give the edge to Glock. If you have to hit the woods in a SHTF scenario it would be much easier to keep up with one set of magazines. JMHO

I'd trade, XDM's are nice, but besides the mags in-common, It'd cost you about a couple hundred bucks sending it off to Springer Precision or Springfield to make the trigger as nice as you can with a G22, a $15 connector, and 15mins of polishing... and the reset might still not be as nice.

Plus, FWIW, if you decide to ever shoot IDPA the XD will have you in ESP division at a significant disadvantage running against single-action 1911s and CZs and such.

Must admit, I do not like XDs though so guess I'm biased.

JMHO.

Guest cmchap76

I have an XD9, had a Glock. I agree with flyanything. Find somewhere where you can try one on and see if you like it. I didn't like the feel of the Glock in my hand. So, I sold it.

I like my XD, but if you want the Glock remember the guy you trade with needs to make money. You should come out better selling the XDM and buying outright. Just a thought.

Joe W.

If the good ole TN tax were not involved this would be true. The XDm probably would not bring as much as a new G22 would cost after tax. Then there is the hassle of selling the gun. JMHO

Guest The Highlander

I love the looks of the XDm, never cared for the XD. Well, I liked the HS-2000 imported by a company in Knoxville, and about $100 cheaper than the Springfield version of it. Own a bunch of Glocks.

The XDm was nice until I tried to pick one up, and the word "anvil" came to mind. I'll not have one until the thing goes on a diet. I believe (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) that a loaded G22 will weigh the same or less than an empty XDm. I do believe you are quite well-armed with either, and I would not trade just based on "which is a better gun" because they are both excellent.

That said, I'd make the trade in a minute just based on the "carry-ability" of the G22 over the XDm. The Kel-tec mag thing would just be icing on the cake. And the Glock has all kinds of stuff to play with accessorizing and holsters and such.

You folks are echoing the exact arguments I am having in my own mind. I am very familiar with Glocks from my years in policing as a firearms instructor, and I know I can shoot them as well as the XDM. I went through this debate in my mind before I got the Springfield. I bought the Springfield due to the grip safety, chamber loaded indicator, and the ease of disassembly. I do agree that the thing does feel a little unbalanced, but I like the look of it and it is a great shooter. I do like the availability of parts for the Glock that you don't get for the XD. The ability to interchange mags is a plus, but I agree it should not be the only consideration. I guess I just need to ease over to the gun store and fiddle with one of the Glocks to get a better feel for it, see what kind of deal I can get, and decide from there. Or better yet, maybe I can hit the Powerball and just buy a Glock too!

One plus for Glocks is the GSSF purchase program. Join GSSF for $35 and get 1 Glock per year for below dealer cost. A G22 is $425. I wouldn't let mag preference steer me away from a gun I love though. It's all about what fits you and what you can feel comfortable with. For me it's always a Glock.

One plus for Glocks is the GSSF purchase program. Join GSSF for $35 and get 1 Glock per year for below dealer cost. A G22 is $425. I wouldn't let mag preference steer me away from a gun I love though. It's all about what fits you and what you can feel comfortable with. For me it's always a Glock.

Do tell? I'd like more info on this. :poop:

Guest The Highlander

GSSF is a HUGE benefit of the Glocks. Sign up for a shoot, have a blast (no pun intended), get your Glocks checked out by a Glock Armorer while you are there, cool hat included with membership too. The purchase program is a great way to add Glocks, then you can go to Armorer's school, which qualifies you to buy another Glock at reduced price, great program.