sportsman like shot...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Man how this thread hits home (sort of). A neighbor/acquaintance of mine told me a few days ago how his uncle shot a wide 8 in the chest head on and has not yet recovered the carcass. I was bothered by this. I'm no archery hunter but I've seen people play them on TV and a frontal shot head on to my knowledge isn't the best. This head shot fits that ticket too. This neighbor of mine also brags about trespassing too. I wanted to like this guy but dang what crummy ethics. I suspect no buck tags ever get filled by this guy either .

I saw my first deer suffer real bad from a crappy rifle shot into the gut. I tracked him for 400 yards and saw him expire in front of me horribly. This was the greatest and worst thing to ever happen to me in my hunting career.

i just talked with him and told him i didn't like his shot and that it wasn't a very good choice. he only stated that it was his only shot, and he also told me he shot another deer from the back side and it went straight through him and tore up the heart. again, another shot i don't think was a good choice, oh, boy.

Man how this thread hits home (sort of). A neighbor/acquaintance of mine told me a few days ago how his uncle shot a wide 8 in the chest head on and has not yet recovered the carcass. I was bothered by this. I'm no archery hunter but I've seen people play them on TV and a frontal shot head on to my knowledge isn't the best. This head shot fits that ticket too. This neighbor of mine also brags about trespassing too. I wanted to like this guy but dang what crummy ethics. I suspect no buck tags ever get filled by this guy either .

I saw my first deer suffer real bad from a crappy rifle shot into the gut. I tracked him for 400 yards and saw him expire in front of me horribly. This was the greatest and worst thing to ever happen to me in my hunting career.

I have gut shot deer before and luckily I have found them but I feel real bad when when I made those bad shots. I guess I would feel just as bad taking a head shot thats why I won't do it. I know if I had friends like that I wouldn't take them hunting.

In summary, what have we learned?

People are crazy. Some of them hunt.

People are disrespectful. Why would they carry a different sense of ethics into the world / woods?

People are short-sighted. They don't take into account any ramifications beyond this very moment.

And often, those people are elected to national office.

:P

Guest Drewsett

Let me preface these remarks by saying I've never hunted before, or even really been around a whole lot of hunters

I can understand why one wouldn't necessarily take a head shot in bowhunting (I assume it's because of the skull being so thick and the likelihood of an arrow penetrating being slim), but why wouldn't you take a head shot with a rifle, beyond the likelihood of ruining the potential for mounting the head? I would think that destroying the animal's brain would be the quickest, most painless way to die.

Please educate me, as I do eventually want to learn to hunt.

...why wouldn't you take a head shot with a rifle, beyond the likelihood of ruining the potential for mounting the head? I would think that destroying the animal's brain would be the quickest, most painless way to die.

That is a valid point. Your rationale is correct. Look at how slaughter houses do it. Head shots / shocks.

The problem lies in the fact that the vast majority of hunters are not marksman, and most only dust off their 'good ol deer rifle' on opening morning and away they go...

Most lack the ability to carry out shot placement in an area the size of a baseball at any distance, and opt most often for a higher percentage shot at an area the size of a basketball or larger.

My opinion.