sportsman like shot...

today a friend sent me a picture of a doe he shot. the only shot he had (that's what he said) was a head shot, so, he shot the doe between the eyes with an arrow. he sent me a picture saying what a great shot he was(this is after he missed 6 deer in a row in 3 days) and also said "this must be a unicorn deer." i am not very happy at all with his shot choice or his "skill" of hunting as he calls it. am i over reacting? to me, it doesn't seem like an ethical shot or any sort of sporting chance. the last thing i want as a hunter is to have some wounded animal running around because i made a poor shot choice. i always wait until i have the best shot, and i have passed on some good deer because of this. what do you guys think?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty unsportsman like. A friend of mine killed a buck one time that had an arrow stuck through it's neck. Not a pretty sight! I'm glad he's your friend and not mine. I USED to know people like that. You should sit him down and have a little chat with him.

well, he is my dad's age and he is hard headed. my dad let him know he didn't agree with his shot and that it wasn't very sportsman like. he didn't seem to care what we thought, that's what makes me so upset and the fact that i am hunting on the same mountain that he is hunting on.

Taking a 'head-shot' and explaining it off as being the 'only' shot he had, shows poor judgment and reckless immaturity.

Thinking it was funny, poor character.

Wouldn't last long in my camp.

Guest billwilly73

I wouldn't shoot for the head, I'd wait for a better shot. I have shot a deer in the head with a bow to finish it off. After a buddy of mine shot high and clipped its spine and then he shot it a second time to try to finish it off and gave it a flesh wound. The deer couldn't get up and was very much still alive and suffering.

i could buy it if he were finish the deer off, but he wasn't, it was just poor judgement. if i had any control over it he wouldn't be there, but he bought the 15 acres right beside my dad's land that i hunt on. i am glad to know that i am not over reacting and that you guys feel the same way

I wish every hunter was ethical. I wish every driver on the road was polite too. Not much chance of either of my wishes coming true.

Sounds like you are stuck with the guy. I would be polite, but I would let him know often that ethical hunting was important to you and your family and that you think it helps the image of our sport. Maybe next time a deer steps out he will remember your words.

I believe that bad hunters are more likely to take questionable shots. Because their hunting skills are inept, they see fewer deer and when they do see one, they feel they have to shoot no matter the conditions. They never get the chance to just sit and watch deer within range without shooting. I do understand wanting to take a deer. I didn't shoot one last year because I let many walk by waiting for a big buck. Today I was tempted to shoot a young 7 pointer that has taunted me the past 3 days. Needless to say he didn't get shot. Instead I got to watch him eat, interact with a smaller buck and alert to a coyote. I believe this is a progression for hunters and some of them, like your buddy, never get there.

I guess I find it more disturbing that he thinks it is funny and his comments about it. To me, that demonstrates gross disrespect for the animal. I hunt, and I do not mind killing stuff. However, he seems to gather some kind of sick pleasure in killing the deer in perhaps a unique or unconventional way. Bottom line, this guy is a dik. You should tell him so, or at least show him this thread.

I guess I find it more disturbing that he thinks it is funny and his comments about it. To me, that demonstrates gross disrespect for the animal. I hunt, and I do not mind killing stuff. However, he seems to gather some kind of sick pleasure in killing the deer in perhaps a unique or unconventional way. Bottom line, this guy is a dik. You should tell him so, or at least show him this thread.

+1 and after seeing that picture of the deer with the arrow in it's head, well that just makes me sick. And to think he thought it was funny.

Guest tnpanscraper

Next time he's walking through the woods. Stick an arrow through his arm and pin him to a tree. Then say " Oh, sorry. Thought you were a deer and that was the only shot I had".... Really, I'm kidding. But it would get the point across...

I know guys like that too. Real A$$ Hats. No respect for the sport, the animal or anything else.

All though I dont agree with head shots on deer, or any other big game, I just dont know if I would call him unethical. To me (and this is my opinion) shooting a deer in the head be it with a bow is no more unethical than sitting back 400-500 yards away with a rifle and shooting deer that has no idea that your are even there. I always thought that part of deer hunting was to draw the game in as close as you can before the shot no matter what your hunting with be it a bow,or gun. Im not taking up for him Im just saying that calling someone unethical is a little harsh dont you think. Some of us if not all of us at some point in time have made a bad shot on animals before some that weren't recovered and some that were. I guess the thing Im trying to say is that if the man had made a gut shot on the deer and never recovered it would this post been started. One reason that Im replying is that I have a hunting buddy that takes head shots on deer (granted it is with a 300mag so not much of a head left because he dont bow hunt anymore) and I wouldnt call him unethical, however me and his dad bitch every time he does this. Before you guys rip my ass I DONT THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE HEAD SHOTS.

All though I dont agree with head shots on deer, or any other big game, I just dont know if I would call him unethical. To me (and this is my opinion) shooting a deer in the head be it with a bow is no more unethical than sitting back 400-500 yards away with a rifle and shooting deer that has no idea that your are even there. I always thought that part of deer hunting was to draw the game in as close as you can before the shot no matter what your hunting with be it a bow,or gun. Im not taking up for him Im just saying that calling someone unethical is a little harsh dont you think. Some of us if not all of us at some point in time have made a bad shot on animals before some that weren't recovered and some that were. I guess the thing Im trying to say is that if the man had made a gut shot on the deer and never recovered it would this post been started. One reason that Im replying is that I have a hunting buddy that takes head shots on deer (granted it is with a 300mag so not much of a head left because he dont bow hunt anymore) and I wouldnt call him unethical, however me and his dad bitch every time he does this. Before you guys rip my ass I DONT THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE HEAD SHOTS.

1 if it is ethical to shoot them in the head, why do you and his dad bitch at him when he does it?

2 look at the picture of a deer feeding with an arrow through its head-unethical shot choice.

i understand you don't think head shots are ok to do, if you don't think it is unethical why do you think people shouldn't do it? i understand missing and making a shot that you weren't happy with but only taking bad shots is different.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Adam, I can see your point but the unethical part of this guy is 1. his attitude toward the animal and apparently hunting, & 2. he hit the deer in what most of us consider a "bad" place on purpose. If a hunter makes his best effort at a true good shot and happens to end up with a gut shot (been there, done that), that is not unethical at all - that is just misfortune. Even if the deer is not recovered.

Smokeyjoes and My82cam you both have very good points and I understand what your trying to say, and respect it, but how can one say that it is an unethical shot if the shot serves its purpose and brings the game down. But as far as a mans attitude being unethical; yes if one goes around bragging and laughing at the shot its unethical and arrogant no matter where the shot hit head or heart and lungs.As far as the reason we bitch at my friend is that it is a mess and is nasty but he dont bragg about it. And please understand Im not one of these people who think hunting is a crime or sin, I am a avid hunter I am in the woods year round and enjoy mother nature and do think you should respect her.

You know, this is why I like this forum:

I am not, nor probably will be, a hunter. I do not like the taste of deer meat and have had no desire to freeze my rather large butt off while sitting in a tree waiting to nail Bambi. That being said, when I first read the OP I was wondering what the big deal was until I saw those pictures of the doe with the arrow in her head. I would have thought that a head shot would either be a kill or a miss up until I saw the pics. My FIL hunts with bow, and he's shown me the extremely lethal heads that are available today, (compared to when I shot a bow in the 70's), and that's what led me to the aforementioned impression. It's hard to imagine those new heads doing this. Thanks for being informative, ya'll.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Smokeyjoes and My82cam you both have very good points and I understand what your trying to say, and respect it, but how can one say that it is an unethical shot if the shot serves its purpose and brings the game down. But as far as a mans attitude being unethical; yes if one goes around bragging and laughing at the shot its unethical and arrogant no matter where the shot hit head or heart and lungs.As far as the reason we bitch at my friend is that it is a mess and is nasty but he dont bragg about it. And please understand Im not one of these people who think hunting is a crime or sin, I am a avid hunter I am in the woods year round and enjoy mother nature and do think you should respect her.

I guess my thought is that, in this case yes, the shot did bring the animal down which was fortunate. The unethical part is that there is a better than average chance that it would not have (in my opinion) or it could have wounded the deer (imagine a shot going threw the jaw etc...) so that it wandered off not to be found. I don't for one minute believe that this was truly his only shot. Perhaps he just wasn't patient enough or who knows but, even though I have only killed 4 deer in my hunting career, I have seen very many walk around/by/under me and not ONE time did I think "man, the only shot I have is a head shot".

Smokeyjoes I agree with with you. I dont think that a head shot is the only shot he had should have been more patient. But like was stated in the first post he had already missed 6 deer in 3 days, so I bet his patients are out the window. Still dont think the shot was unethical( although I wouldn't take) more of his attitude.

Hunter safety courses only test for hunter and firearm safety. Too bad we can't give people tests for attitude and moral character BEFORE they are licensed and sent into the woods to do harm to animals and other hunters!

Thing is an unethical hunter is usually taught by another. My step-father taught me how to hunt and he never let me take a bad shot not even a shot when the deer was facing me. I always had to take a broad or quartering away shot.

I grew up the same way. I was always tought to respect the animal we hunt, and that, that animal deserves to die with dignity and respect. When I run my Taxidermy shop, I've had customers come in with the same kind of attitude. A couple of them was asked to leave and never come back. One guy came in with a beautiful 12 pointer wired to the grill of his truck. Drove all over town like that, pulled into my driveway, and laughed about upsetting my nieghbors! SEE YA DUDE!!!