I have a question about Garands...

Guest Jon-L

So I've been considering getting one for DMR purposes (attaching a scope and whatnot) this next tax season and I've come across this delima time and time again: 30.06 or .308?

I've looked at some ballistics charts and they seem to be the same, except 308 is much more plentiful in my area (and easier to find online--the good stuff) and also flatter-shooting. But I like the 30.06 for the fact it was the caliber that the rifle was originally chambered in during the wars it fought. It's a hard decision for me, especially since I don't want to seem like I'm insulting a classic by wrapping it around another caliber.

Make sense?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what I was afraid of, some people wouldn't agree with me doing something like this.

Darn Skippy! I am by no means an expert, but I do know something about Garands and mil-surps in general. You might want to check the CMP forum or gunbroker and find either an M1C or M1D (which is gonna cost ya) that was originally drilled & tapped if you want a collector's piece or find a Garand made by Springfield Armory in the past few years and have your way with it.

Have you considered and M1A? You'll have the same amount of $ into when done?

Thanks for the info, Loon, but I really don't want to replace the rear sight. I would like to have the option between irons and magnification (sounds silly, doesn't it?).

If you want a Garand, get one. It'll have a 1 in 12 twist barrel, only be able to be cleaned from the muzzle of a non floated barrel. Also the clip loading system will limit scope mounting options as long as they're offset to the left.

However, if you're looking for a semi-auto DMR, I would suggest the AR-10 platform. Endless barrel options; free floated too, box magazine feeding system, rail mounting points for any accessory your heart or mission desires and finallly, parts galore.

Ever since I've posted this I've been thinking, and searching, and came to the realization that the AR-10 is more of what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help, people.

Guest achingass
Thanks for the info, Loon, but I really don't want to replace the rear sight. I would like to have the option between irons and magnification (sounds silly, doesn't it?).

i have a springfield 30-06 from cmp. i have both mounts super scout mount and the mount replaces the sights. with the scout mount i have a eo-tech mounted to it.

to use the iron sights i just take the eo-tech off. to use the scout mount you have to get a eye relief scope. i have not been that far with it yet. the 30-06 ammo needs to be around 150 to 168 grain ammo or you could have damage. i vote for the 30-06 you could down the road find something else for 308.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is how I mounted a scope to my Garand. It required no permanent mods.

I also have an AR-10 type (DPMS .308 panther), but they are totally different and you need both. :D

You can get a Garand in .308. The Navy had a bunch of them converted, but you will pay a lot if you find one of those. I would love to have one.

M1Garand2089.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was actually looking into the DPMS line of .308s (Possibly the Oracle, if they ever came out with an 18" version). Seems like a great price and equally good reviews. Which of the line do you have, and what do you think of it?

Also, that set up on your Garand would be nice if I could co-witness with the irons. Of course, co-witnessing was unheard of back when these rifles were first introduced.

Also, that set up on your Garand would be nice if I could co-witness with the irons. Of course, co-witnessing was unheard of back when these rifles were first introduced.

Military issue M1C and M1D's had the scope offset so iron sights could be used.

Military issue M1C and M1D's had the scope offset so iron sights could be used.

Actually, it was so you could load clips into the magazine. A scope directly over the bore would have to be at least three inches above the receiver sides in order to easily load the rifle. We still had M1Ds in my battalion of the 1st Cav in 1981. In 1982 we finally turned them in for M21s.

I was actually looking into the DPMS line of .308s (Possibly the Oracle, if they ever came out with an 18" version). Seems like a great price and equally good reviews. Which of the line do you have, and what do you think of it?

I bought the LR-308AP4. I have had it for 3 years now and been extremely happy with it. I wanted it because (to me) the .308 is the ultimate rifle round. Mine has performed flawlessly and is a blast to shoot. The .308 in a semi-auto is not nearly as brutal as trying to fire 50-100 rounds of .308 from my 700 VLS.

At first I thought I wanted the longer barrel. But when I went to see Joe at Hero Gear he put both the model I was looking at and the AP4 in my hands; I liked the AP4 much better.

Apparently the street price has gone up because I see some for sale used for more than I paid for mine new.

I haven’t shot mine past 300 yards because I haven’t had the optics on it to do that. But some claim it should be as accurate as my 700 VLS at long range. That’s a bold claim; someday I’ll have to find out.

Iron sights are for handguns. :)

I don’t use iron sights so that isn’t an issue with me. You would need some way to rig it off to the side to do that.