Long Guns in Vehicle

Guest vanman2004b

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks OhShoot. However I wonder, would that hold up in hunting season.

I am looking forward to Deer season more this year then when I was 10 I think. Mainly cause I am going to be carrying a pistol on my side.

Lets say I was with my .270 with 4 in the Mag, none in the chamber. Think a Game Warden could get me in trouble? Same going to and from my hunting spot?

I know in years past, dad always had me unload but I believe the game wardens at the time told us having them in the Mag was ok but not in the gun. I remember having the mag with 4 in my hand and even being checked before with no problems.

Edited by vontar
Thanks OhShoot. However I wonder, would that hold up in hunting season.

I am looking forward to Deer season more this year then when I was 10 I think. Mainly cause I am going to be carrying a pistol on my side.

Lets say I was with my .270 with 4 in the Mag, none in the chamber. Think a Game Warden could get me in trouble? Same going to and from my hunting spot?

I know in years past, dad always had me unload but I believe the game wardens at the time told us having them in the Mag was ok but not in the gun. I remember having the mag with 4 in my hand and even being checked before with no problems.

I think hunting from the road concerns was one reason for the "no round in the chamber" part of the law.

I know of the term road hunting. I know I can state I would never do it and all that, of course this being the internet take it with a gain of salt.

I was just wondering if that meant I could actually put the mag with 4 in the gun while driving to the parking spot now, leaving the chamber empty.

I get it that I can drive from my home to my dads for example with them in the mag, chamber empty. I was just wondering how that law relates to hunting.

39-17-1307 makes no mention of hunting.

AFAIK there is no wildlife law that prevents you from having it loaded minus one in the chamber while in the vehcile (as long as it is ok to have it with you in general). But Title 70 laws aren't my strong point and they would still apply.

The Wildlife Management Areas in Tennessee do have a little bit stricter rules than state law when it comes to long guns, even with a handgun carry permit.

Of course, if you have a handgun carry permit, you can carry your handgun loaded now legally whether or not you are using it as a hunting device.

These are the WMA rules from page 42 of my 2010-2011 TWRA hunting guide as far as firearms and hunting tackle:

Firearms: Use, possession or transportation of firearms, bows and arrows

or other arms and ammunition is expressly prohibited except when

authorized. Firearms loaded with ammunition in either the chamber or

magazine may not be transported in vehicles, see page 17.

Prohibited Acts Page 17 TWRA Hunting Gude

9. Possession of firearms is prohibited while

chasing coyote, fox, and bobcat with dogs

from the first Saturday in November

through the end of the deer season (Jan.

16, 2011)

11. On WMAs and PHAs, all guns must

be unloaded while being transported.

A muzzleloader is considered to be unloaded

if the cap or primer is removed.

A crossbow is considered to be unloaded

if the bolt/arrow is removed from the

device.

14. Persons with archery tackle may not

carry firearms or be accompanied by a

person possessing firearms during the

archery-only season, except those with

a handgun carry permit.

Handgun Carry General

Regulations

Persons with a handgun carry permit pursuant

to TCA 39-17-1351 may possess a handgun

the entire year while on the premises

of any TWRA refuge, public hunting area

or wildlife management area, including the

North and South Cherokee. Nothing in this

subsection shall authorize a person to use

any handgun to hunt unless such person is

in full compliance with all wildlife laws, rules

and regulations.

For all other Federally managed properties

such as refuges and military installations,

contact that specific facility or location.