Recommendations for a carry gun and holster

clarky07

I've been planning on getting a carry gun and my HCP for a long time now, but I've been putting it off due to the expense. Well, my car got broken into this weekend, and while it is not something that carrying could have stopped, it very much reminds me that anything can happen to anybody anytime or place. So I'm going to get on the ball and get this done.

All that being said I'd like some suggestions as to what I should get. I've shot plenty and I'm familiar with almost everything. As a starting point here are my thoughts:

I had originally planned on going 1911, but right now i'm leaning towards 9mm over 45 and i just can't wrap my head around getting a 1911 in 9mm. My reason for 9mm is simple. It is cheaper and has a higher capacity. I'm not worried about it not being enough. I really plan on practicing A LOT. I want to become as good as I can, and that means shooting a bunch. The 9mm is just more economical for doing that.

Second, I don't really like glocks. I know, blasphemy, but i've shot them and it just isn't what I want.

Third, this may be silly but i'd like it to either have finger groves by default, or interchangeable grips so that I can add them. I really prefer the way they feel.

Finally, I'd really like keep it around $500. The budget is stretched atm due in part to the stuff we lost in the car. I also broke my arm last month and it turns out surgery is really expensive.

So, now that i've taken away glocks and 1911's and limited you to $500, what do you have for me :popcorn:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with ....

Springfield XD 9 Compact/Subcompact. Many can be had NIB for under $500 ... I think Bud's even has the XD9SC with 13 and 16 round mags (the essential package - none of the XD junk) for $450ish shipped to your FFL. No Tax :popcorn:

Guest Sgt. Joe

In the $400.00-$450.00 range you have the Ruger SR9c......my EDC

Rugerร‚ยฎ SR9cรขโ€žยข Compact Centerfire Pistol Models

And its big brother, (SR9) although not all that much bigger. Both have 17+1 capacity, ship with two mags, are American made and I have yet to have a problem with either of mine. The "c" version is becoming quite popular since being released in Jan of this year.

Rugerร‚ยฎ SR9ร‚ยฎ Centerfire Pistol Models

MSRP's on the site are well above any prices I have seen in the stores. They do not however have finger groove or removable grips but are very slim in the hands.

Good Luck, I am sure you will have many recommendations:)

I wouldn't go limiting myself to price, at least the 500 dollar breaking point. Try

several guns close as you can get to your price range and think how you are going

to use it, how well it fits your body size, how easy you think you will be able to

handle it, blah, blah, blah. If it takes a couple weeks and you find a gun that meets

your needs that costs 700-800, why do you want to limit yourself? You're going to

spend it, anyway. Take your time and try as many different guns as you can. It's

more the person behind the trigger than it is the gun.

And you never know, might end up with a used Glock after all:D

The new Smith and Wesson SD9 is a really nice weapon for less than $450. I have one in 40 as well. M&P holsters work well and if you go to one of the gun shows you can pick up a Don Hume for $25, I have 2 one IWB and one OWB. As for finger groves get you a hogue slip on grip. If you want to try it out let me know I'm in Columbia and we can meet somewhere to shoot. I also have a M&P 40c if you want to try that out as well.

Glock 27.....In Kholster

]

you must have completely miss the part where the OP said he doesn't like Glocks.

I will also say the XD subcompact is a good line. Although, if you don't like Glocks I don't think you will see a huge difference between it and any other polymer duty pistol. The Glocks, XD's and M&P's are all great choices.

Perhaps if you told us what you didn't like about Glocks we could help narrow down a better choice for you.

you must have completely miss the part where the OP said he doesn't like Glocks.

I will also say the XD subcompact is a good line. Although, if you don't like Glocks I don't think you will see a huge difference between it and any other polymer duty pistol. The Glocks, XD's and M&P's are all great choices.

Perhaps if you told us what you didn't like about Glocks we could help narrow down a better choice for you.

I just don't know. Maybe I should try shooting one again. Something about how it felt and shot I just didn't enjoy. No huge problems, just not what I was looking for.

Well, one option that's within your budget and has finger grooves is the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro. Thunder 9, 40, and 45 UC Pro Series That product line is based on the Walther P-88 design. The gun with 1 extra mag new in the box should retail for under $400, maybe closer to $350.

It's a double-stack magazine (13+1 capacity) so it's bit on the thick side for concealment. It is reputed to be extremely reliable. I own one of the slightly larger Bersa Thunder 45 UC Pros and so far I have found it to be a good accurate shooter on the range.

Lots of Bersa owners also swear by www.ubgholsters.com for holsters. They are custom made but the wait time is relatively short for custom leather.

If you want more pics and / or some size comparisons to other guns in the Bersa family to give you an idea, there's a thread over on the Bersa Chat forum with some more info: Compare models 380/9mm

Edited by JC57
I wouldn't go limiting myself to price, at least the 500 dollar breaking point. Try

several guns close as you can get to your price range and think how you are going

to use it, how well it fits your body size, how easy you think you will be able to

handle it, blah, blah, blah. If it takes a couple weeks and you find a gun that meets

your needs that costs 700-800, why do you want to limit yourself? You're going to

spend it, anyway. Take your time and try as many different guns as you can. It's

more the person behind the trigger than it is the gun.

And you never know, might end up with a used Glock after all:D

Well, the price limit isn't just arbitrary. I just spent about 2k on my broken arm and lost 500 bucks worth of stuff from the car break in. 500 is really about the limit right now, especially when you add in the cost of the HCP. All that being said if I got a great deal on something I may go over a little bit, it just can't go too much higher.

That CZ-82 in your avatar would make a fine carry peice...if you can find a holster.

It is a great gun, but I'm really not a big fan of shooting it. I mostly keep it around because it is a cool old gun. Also, finding a good holster for it would be at least sort of difficult. I looked into it, and everything I read were people saying get a "insert different gun here" holster, it's pretty close. That's not really something I'm interested in.

So far during my searches and through fondling at guns shows, the following are probably the guns I'm most interested in atm. Taking into account the suggestions so far as well:

S&W M&P

Beretta PX4 Storm

Beretta 92

Sig P229 - this is probably too expensive, but if I find a good deal on a used one I might go a little higher on it.

as for the holster, i hear a good gun belt is very important. Any suggestions? Also, looking around the MTAC looks really nice to me. I think I'd like it. Anybody have one and care to share an opinion?

So far during my searches and through fondling at guns shows, the following are probably the guns I'm most interested in atm. Taking into account the suggestions so far as well:

S&W M&P

Beretta PX4 Storm

Beretta 92

Sig P229 - this is probably too expensive, but if I find a good deal on a used one I might go a little higher on it.

as for the holster, i hear a good gun belt is very important. Any suggestions? Also, looking around the MTAC looks really nice to me. I think I'd like it. Anybody have one and care to share an opinion?

I think any of those guns would be a good choice. As far as the holsters go, I hear good things about the MTAC so you would probably love it.

I carry in either a Crossbreed Supertuck Crossbreed Holsters > Home or a Kholser Kholster

Both are great holsters and very comfortable however I think the Kholster provides much better value. Yes their ugly, but that doesn't really matter.

Kholster

Opps I guess I did.............I just like showing off my G L O C K lol

thx for correcting me...... :/

Here's one recommendation no one has given - when looking for a carry weapon, never take the word of someone who stands to benefit financially from recommending one particular firearm over another. If they are willing to let you decide for yourself without trying to steer you to what they think you should have, then they probably have your personal safety in mind, and not meeting a quota.