Computer help

dralarms

Yeah, I couldn't find the 9B3L on Sony's website either which sure does make Sony look bad, but saw an article saying that it should be compatible with the FXA47.

You could try running Windows updates and making sure you are on Service Pack 3, but I'm guessing by tomorrow you'll be going skeet shooting with the laptop.

No problem, I appreciate the help, but the site examined my computer and balked at it. lol

Also let me be clear on this:

THIS PROBLEM I AM HAVING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TGO AND THE OTHER HAPPENINGS. THIS COMPUTER HAS NEVER BEEN ON TGO OR ANY OTHER NON SECURED SITES.

Just wanted to make that clear. :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it's beyond my skills. It has been running for 1.5 hrs in safe mode without a lockup. tells me it is a driver problem, however windows update won;t work and sony's website says my computer is the fxa47 (until I try and download a driver) then it says wrong computer model. :D

Scrap the windows install and load a flavor of Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Redhat, etc.)

Sorry, I'm no real help. If you were closer I'd take the laptop off your hands and load Ubuntu and let the wife use it.

I am closer. I could get a live Linux cd to you and we could see if it'll boot to Linux and operate correctly. Let me know.

Appreciate the offer fellas but theprograms I run won't run under anything but windows.

Appreciate the offer fellas but theprograms I run won't run under anything but windows.

Well, you could run a windows virtual machine from within linux. Then you can still run your windows apps.

But that is not what I was suggesting. If you are going to shoot the thing, give it to a geek that will put linux on it. If it truly is a windows issue they wont notice a problem. If you wanna ship it to me, I'll pay for the shipping. Just a thought.

Well, you could run a windows virtual machine from within linux. Then you can still run your windows apps.

But that is not what I was suggesting. If you are going to shoot the thing, give it to a geek that will put linux on it. If it truly is a windows issue they wont notice a problem. If you wanna ship it to me, I'll pay for the shipping. Just a thought.

+1. There are many families with kids that can't afford a computer. Throw Ubuntu on it and donate it.

Ok I dont know if this will help at all, but everytime my comp starts acting retarded and normal trouble shooting ( replacing hardware one piece at a time ) doesnt work. I clear the cmos on the mobo its worth a shot imo and takes like 10 seconds.

Ok I dont know if this will help at all, but everytime my comp starts acting retarded and normal trouble shooting ( replacing hardware one piece at a time ) doesnt work. I clear the cmos on the mobo its worth a shot imo and takes like 10 seconds.

It takes a lot longer than 10 seconds on a laptop, if you can even do it at all.

It takes a lot longer than 10 seconds on a laptop, if you can even do it at all.

Agreed, it can be done, I jusr don't want to take this sucker apart again.

The biggest problems is the manufacture's of this crap don't put serial ports on new computers so I'm stuck buying used. I only got 5 months off this one and @ 150.00 for 5 months it's gettign expensive.

Mods. this thread has served it's purpose, please lock.

I have a Sony Vio laptop that has gone nuts.:) I use this computer almost everyday for soem of my alarm programs. However today I opened the lid to find a "locked" condition, it was hard locked, Ctl,alt, del would do nothing.

It has 2 memory chips in it so I removed one, still locks up and it's not in the same place every time.

I replaced the remaining chip with the one I removed, same problem.

I replaced the hard drive with a blank drive and did a system recovery. Did the whole recovery, booted to windows and the locks up.

From my non computer trained eye, it appears there is something wrong with the motherboard.

But I want to get someone (who works on them) elses opinion.

Is it something I can fix or do I have a new target?

I just bought this computer not 8 months ago from a "friend". I paid more than I should have but that's not the point.

Anyone local that wants to examine it Just let me know,

I'm at a loss, I haven't lost any data, the hard drive still works and I can recover the data if I find there is something on there I must have (the one that is in the machine now is a "clean" drive, nothing on there to loose or recover.

I have a little over a decade's worth of computer repair experience.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. the only other possibility is something screwing with the power supply, which on a laptop puts you in the same situation as a bad motherboard

USB serial port adapters won't work?

- OS

some do some don't.

What legacy devices are still dependent on a serial port?

- OS

Well to tell you how far back in the dark ages the alarm maunfactures keep me, I still use a hayes 1200 baud modem for uploading some of my panels. And I have some devices that allow me to "direct connect" and they don't work well through an adapter.

Yes,

Your state of the art alarm system uses a communication port for uploading and downloading that runs at 300baud. Now that's not your dialer to the central station but the communication to a programming station.

They can make your alarm turn lights on and off, page you when Jr. gets home (or leaves), monitor your freezer and even turn off your water in the event of a leak, but they can't make the damn thing communicate with me faster than 300 baud.