New Toy

Mad_Squirrell

Bought me a PT 709 today . I think this will be more comfortable to carry than My XD .

Put about 20 rounds through it today and It did ok I need to put about another 100 rds through it for me to feel comfortable for self defense im still pulling down and left getting used to the short grip . But over all i seem to be happy with it .I bought it used and the fellow i purchased it from put only about 120 rds through it so it still feels an looks as good as NIB

33684_1606224644276_1495965630_1566598_7420201_n.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my uncles got the same thing. it really is an innovative piece, youd expect something of that size and feel to blast something smaller like .380 or 32acp instead of 9mm.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go here is kinda of a range report .I put an additional 200 rds through it this past weekend not one hiccup as far as operation is concerned it was flawless. However I have some complaints 1) the trigger safety does not work .It fires without the bar depressed on the trigger 2)I am grouping consistently but it is low about 2"and left about 2-3"" off center there is no more adjustment in the sights .This particular gun is seems not to be capable of a bullseye shot with these sights(I know the tendency to pull in that direction but I am almost convinced its the gun at this point ) .I consistently put the rounds in the "kill zone" suitable enough for self defense but you have to remember to aim a little high and right to get bullseye shots.I will put the gun in some others hands to verify its not shooter error before I fully determine the gun to be at fault 2) there seems to be a little too much slop in the slide where it rides on the frame .It will "wiggle" about a 1/64 of an inch to the left side a little more to the right side with the chamber closed (Am I spoiled on my XD?) In my opinion there should be no noticeable movement in these areas. On a one to five scale I give it an over all score of a 3. It conceals easily ,and functions reliably.But it by far is not my favorite .

Guest peacexxl
Here we go here is kinda of a range report .I put an additional 200 rds through it this past weekend not one hiccup as far as operation is concerned it was flawless. However I have some complaints 1) the trigger safety does not work .It fires without the bar depressed on the trigger 2)I am grouping consistently but it is low about 2"and left about 2-3"" off center there is no more adjustment in the sights .This particular gun is seems not to be capable of a bullseye shot with these sights(I know the tendency to pull in that direction but I am almost convinced its the gun at this point ) .I consistently put the rounds in the "kill zone" suitable enough for self defense but you have to remember to aim a little high and right to get bullseye shots.I will put the gun in some others hands to verify its not shooter error before I fully determine the gun to be at fault 2) there seems to be a little too much slop in the slide where it rides on the frame .It will "wiggle" about a 1/64 of an inch to the left side a little more to the right side with the chamber closed (Am I spoiled on my XD?) In my opinion there should be no noticeable movement in these areas. On a one to five scale I give it an over all score of a 3. It conceals easily ,and functions reliably.But it by far is not my favorite .

Try adjusting the sights again, but loosen the hold down screw in the middle of the sight and then make adjustments then tighten the sight down again. This is what I had to do to zero my pt709 and it made a huge difference.

Guest Aces&8s

On the Taurus Armed forums, you will find a number of posts about these guns shooting low-left. Apparently this is a known issue with the early run guns (which if you bought yours used, it probably falls into that category), and if you send it in, Taurus will install a new front sight to fix the problem. Good news is, Taurus has a lifetime warranty on the guns, so you can get it fixed free.

Try adjusting the sights again, but loosen the hold down screw in the middle of the sight and then make adjustments then tighten the sight down again. This is what I had to do to zero my pt709 and it made a huge difference.

I'll try that when I get back to the range Thanks for the info Peace XXL

I may just do that GTV if what peace said doesn't work.I just didn't want to have to go through the hassle if I could avoid it let alone doing without my gun for several weeks.

If I can get it to shoot where I put the sights I might end up loving this gun.

Guest Aces&8s

I hope you get it worked out. I have a 740 Slim on layaway right now, probably pick it up Friday. I was very hesitant to buy a Taurus, after everything I have read about the poor QC lately, but that gun just felt so good when I picked it up and held it, and after hearing from the LGS owner that the one he test drove shot very well, and that felt recoil was less than some other sub-compact 40s (not that I worry about that much, after all, I use a PF9 right now, and to hear some people talk about it, you would think it was a mule), I decided it was worth a try. After all, what's a few hundred dollars, right? :stare: