Best live show

Glenn

OK we have done guitarists and rock bands, now how about live shows. What was the best live show you ever saw. And I am talking the musical variety. Nothing with horses if you know what I mean. It won't necessarily be your choice for best band, since you may not have seen them live.

I've seen quite a few live show but I think the best show was Bruce Springsteen. I wasn't a fan at all but my girlfriend, now wife, was and wanted to go. The show was in Rupp arena and went almost 4 hours. Bruce had to be helped off the stage. I'm still not a big fan of his music, but he sure knew how to put on a show.

Glenn

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tie:

Smithereens at Rhodes (Southwestern) in Memphis. Played everything you wanted to hear. If they hadn't played the one song I'd never heard of, it would have been perfect. The icing was that I was supposed to pay, as others were too, but they just started letting us in for free.

Monsters of Rock, Summer '88: Kingdom Come (blah), Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions and Van Halen. 12 hours of hot fun.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I have seen some good ones in my time, Deep Purple and Pink Floyd are the bigger ones, I think I most enjoyed the laid back our doors show of the Allman Brothers 20th anniversary tour.

But the best performance BY FAR was an opening act for Bad Company in Orlando........

Opening act was Ted Nugent and the Damn Yankees....they were soooo good that a lot of folks left when Bad Company started playing and I have to admit they did not sound near as good as the Nudge and the Yankees.

You didnt ask but the worst was Minnie Ribberton and that screeching bird opening for a Seals and Croft show, also in Orlando.......that woman drove a lot of us back into the parking lot until the main act started. I think I suffered permanent brain damage from that screeching.:D:eek::slap:

EDIT: Failed to mention Don Henley again in Orlando was a very excellent show

Queensryche at the Ryman. Did the Operation Mindcrime album. Chris DeGarmo was not with them and that hurt(a lot) but at a small venue like that--it was incredible. Saw Triumph at the Municipal when I was maybe 19--that maybe is my favorite show. As always hard to pick just one.

SoundGarden at Municipal Auditorium in 1997 was pretty wild! At least the parts I remember:cool:

Best show ever? Garth Brooks, at the height of his success, in 1992, at The Pyramid in Memphis. There was trapeze stunts, pyrotechnics...awesome show.

September 16th 1987 Cleveland Municipal Stadium Cleveland Ohio, still have the ticket stub

Pink Floyd A Momentary Lapse of Reason, they did not have Roger Waters but they did not need him, by far the best show I have ever been to,

Edited by willis68

Eric Clapton and B.B. King in Five Columns in New York City back in 2002. I have seen probably over 200 concerts in my life and this was the best Ive seen. Five Columns is a 20 table bar in SoHo, it was just them and their guitars and about 50 people in the bar. It wasnt even a scheduled concert when the two of them walked and hung out for a while the owner asked them if they could play a song or two, and three hours later they were done. A completely acoustic jam session.AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Really showing my age here.

Best show I ever saw was August Jam in Charlotte, NC in 1974. I was 19 years old. The show started at 10am on a Sat morning and went into the wee hours Sun Morning. Allman Brothers, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Black Oak Arkansas, Foghat, Ozark Mtn Daredevils, Marshall Tucker Band, PFM were the prominent acts.

Drove there from Orlando, FL with three buddies and got right in the middle of the infield. Set up a tent and had an amazing view of the stage. I saw things that I had never seen before, like girls running around topless.

ELP left a lasting impression on me. Their stage tricks were unmatched by anyone else, and there was a fireworks show at the end that would put anyone else's to shame.

Guest Archminister01

Best big show I saw that i really liked was Aerosmith and Ted Nugent in Charlotte N.C. circa 1986...lol. Latest was AC/DC Black Ice in Phx AZ. Ted and Aerosmith still win for me.

I can't possibly decide. How about my top 10? In no order,

Who

Led Zeppelin

Allman Brothers (with Duane)

Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters

Emmerson Lake and Palmer

Little Feat (78)

Crosby Stills Nash and Young

Pearl Jam

Radiohead

Dire Straits

Tie:

Smithereens at Rhodes (Southwestern) in Memphis. Played everything you wanted to hear. If they hadn't played the one song I'd never heard of, it would have been perfect. The icing was that I was supposed to pay, as others were too, but they just started letting us in for free.

Monsters of Rock, Summer '88: Kingdom Come (blah), Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions and Van Halen. 12 hours of hot fun.

Smithereens is a good show. I caught them in Richmond, VA at least a decade ago (probably longer). Little bar/club down in Shockoe Slip.