Airport Handgun Checkin

Guest aaron_wil

Guest RichieRich

I've flown a couple times with my XD in checked luggage. Once was no problem at all. Another, I had a really dumb counter agent who seemed to be making up the rules as she went along. I had followed the advice of someone who said to print out documents from the airline's website and the TSA's website, so they can't claim supreme knowledge.

If you email the TSA at TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov, they have a canned answer form they'll send back to you. When I was challenged on the rules, I produced the email, and told her that I had specifically asked these questions to TSA and her advice is contradicting their's . I added that I'd be glad to talk with her supervisor and let them know about the discrepancy. At that point, things went surprising smoothly. I think she was playing anti-gun games, but didn't want to play that hard.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do it all the time. I have my gun in a locked case inside of a suitcase where I place a lock on the two zippers after I close it shut. There is no reason after the gun goes through TSA for it to be opened or unlocked.

Now if you do not have a gun inside the suitcase and you lock it and walk off or allow the person to simply place it on the belt, they are not too fond of that. They do randomly inspect suitcases. If you have non-TSA locks on it and are not present they well could cut the locks off if they are determined to look inside. But if I have a gun in the suitcase I never leave until the bag and gun case have both been inspected and cleared to be placed on the belt. I usually don't carry anything else valuable in my suitcase, I keep it with me, so I do not lock the suitcase if I don't have a gun in there.

Naturally if you carry a rifles(s) or shotgun(s), then the entire case will be locked. I likewise wait until that has been cleared and locked back up before I walk off. In fact the locks I use require my key to be in the lock to lock or unlock them.

Part of the problem, at security gates anyway, is a lack of consistency between cities in the way they go about things. The lack of consistency makes it slower to get traffic through the system. I have no idea if these body scanner are really worthwhile, but it is a bigger pain in the neck. You have to remove everything from the pockets and the belt and even your wallet. I do not like to take my wallet out and put it anywhere.

I have yet to fly out of Nashville since they just acquired theirs. I will be next week though. So far anyway this has been the procedure everywhere I have been.

I don't enjoy flying anymore at all and I will drive to my meetings if less than 400 or so miles. Security was extremely lax for a long time, then since 2001 it has been better or worse, up and down. But it isn't the security as much as the hassle or increasing delays and issues that make it suck nowadays. I flew 400k miles a year for more than a decade and I am glad I don't do that anymore.

Private airplanes ROCK!

When you get to your destination, what happens? Does it come out in the baggage claim area like usual and all others or do you have to go pick it up?

Considering there is nothing on the outside of your luggage to indicate there is a firearm in it and therefore the baggage handlers will not know, my guess it would come out in the baggage claim area. But hopefully those that have done it will answer soon.

K. Interesting though, as anal as the TSA is.........pun intended...... you would think they would want you to check it out so that they have "control" of it and know that you got it and left.

K. Interesting though, as anal as the TSA is.........pun intended...... you would think they would want you to check it out so that they have "control" of it and know that you got it and left.

Well I don't think the baggage claim area is a "sterile" area of the airport.

Even if you got it out, loaded it etc.... you're not going to get into any secure area with it.

I have a hard sided handgun case that will hold two handguns. I have two small mini master locks that use keys. The last time I flew with a handgun was about a year ago. I kept the handgun box in my big luggage bag until I got inside the terminal. You just go up to the baggage check in desk, get your box out, unlock it(I guess you could already have it unlocked), and tell the check in agent you need to declare a firearm. You will sign a little piece of paper declaring the gun is unloaded and put it in your case with the gun. You may have to show that the handgun is unloaded. The gun is then locked up and that is it. You keep the keys to your gun case. No one else is supposed to be able to open your gun case. You put your handgun case in your luggage (preferably). The luggage is put on the belt. Your ammo may be kept in the gun box with your gun. I put my holster, box of hollowpoints in orig box, speed strip, and gun in the lock box.

Do not do the Express check in or any of that stuff. Of course you can't do carry on. Regular check in isn't a big deal. The check in people know what they are doing at least with Delta and I didn't have problems. When you get where you are going you just get your bags like normal.

Guest aaron_wil
When you get to your destination, what happens? Does it come out in the baggage claim area like usual and all others or do you have to go pick it up?
Considering there is nothing on the outside of your luggage to indicate there is a firearm in it and therefore the baggage handlers will not know, my guess it would come out in the baggage claim area. But hopefully those that have done it will answer soon.

That is correct. The bag came out with the rest of the sheep's luggage in the baggage claim area. No indication outside of the bag stating that a firearm was inside.