Airport Handgun Checkin

Guest aaron_wil

Guest aaron_wil

So, I am flying to a couple of other states soon and I will be taking my EDC. I have familiarized myself with their gun laws and shouldn't have any issues but I am concerned as to what to expect from the airline when I attempt to check-in my firearm. I have never had to do this before.

I checked the airlines website and read over what is expected when checking in a weapon. I was wondering if anyone has went through this process and could tell me what to expect or what/what not to do during this process.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as you get to the counter let the agent know you have a firearm to check. They will hand you a form to fill out and want to see the firearm in the case. I have had a couple ask me if it is unloaded, but usually don't even get that. They usually just look at it and then tell you that you need to take it to the TSA counter. Don't lock it until you get to the TSA counter. Pu it in the bag where it will be placed for travel, take it over to the TSA folks and remove it from the bag and hand them the gun case with the lock. I usually hang around just in case they have any questions, which they never have had. They will lock it, place it back in your travel bag and lock that. I have checked a gun literally a couple of hundred times at a minimum domestically and internationally. I have never had a problem with check-in.

It can be nerve wracking the first time you do it, but it really isn't any big deal.

I check mine all the time. Never had any problems. Like Warbird said, just have it in a locked case. Obviously make sure it is unloaded and have the ammo in a box or something to make sure it is not just loose in the bag. I always go ahead and lock the case and have it in the bag. Usually they just put the card in your bag on top of the case, but sometimes the people like to switch it up a little or something. I have never locked my bag, but there is no way to know there is a gun in it. When you hand the bag to the TSA guy, just say, "There is a weapon in this bag." The guy says okay and runs it through the x-ray machine. Hang around at there until you see the bag come off the scanner and go on the main belt with all the other bags. It is really not a big deal, but you should give yourself a little extra time. By the way, if you use Southwest in Nashville, you have to go to the main ticket counter and not to the computer counters or the curbside.

Hopefully things are getting better because when I was a LEO from 1997 - 2007, it was a major hassle every single time I tried to check my firearm. One time, I had an airline ticket agent tell me it was illegal to even have the firearm on airport property much less in my checked luggage. Another time, a ticket agent told me I could not check the ammo in my luggage because the ammo would explode if the luggage compartment lost pressure. Another called the airport police when I tried to declare the firearm. A TSA rep about had a coronary when I told him there was a firearm in my luggage. He told me in a very loud and forceful tone to put the bag down and step away from it slowly. The only time I didn't get a hassle was when I checked it on the return flight from Las Vegas. It got to the point when I just quit fooling with it. I always kept it locked in a metal case with an extra padlock on the case and a cable lock through the firearm. I kept the ammunition in a separate container. From the responses I see above, I may have been very unlucky the few times I tried to do it.

I've checked firearms a few times and had no problems. If there is a place to check in with special items like skis and golf clubs, choose that one. I absolutely avoid even making connections (you never know when you might find yourself "stuck" there) at airports in places where you may be arrested for simply having a handgun when you attempt to check it back in: NYC, Newark, DC/Reagan, Boston, Baltimore, Chicago.

Guest Broomhead

I used to work for TSA, and we/they are just human and are not perfect. Same with airline employees/agents.

With that, use a lockable hard-sided case, put the gun in it. Put your ammo in a box to keep it from being loose, i.e. original cardboard box, plastic box, etc. Use a good lock, either combination or keyed, just don't go cheap on the lock, please. When you get to the counter inform the agent that you have a firearm and you need to declare it. They will ask you to unlock it so they can inspect it and make sure it is unloaded, mostly they will just glance at it, they shouldn't actually handle it. They will give you a slip of paper to fill out and then they will place it in the case with your gun. You can then lock the case back up and put it back in your bag while the agent finishes checking you in. Then, depending on which airline you are traveling, they will either give the bag to the TSA officers or give it back to you to take to TSA. If they give the bag to TSA, tell the agent that you will wait until the bag is cleared, the agent then will inform them that there is a firearm in the bag and that you are the owner. If you give the bag to TSA, inform the officer that there is a firearm in the bag, that it is locked up, and that you will wait for it to clear. If they need to open they will ask you for the key and should direct you to where you can watch (note: you can not touch the bag after they start screening it). After they are finished they will lock the case/bag and return the keys to you.

Most of the above has been stated already, I just tried to do it more step-by-step. Hope it helps.

ETA: TSA's website may also be helpful for any other concerns.

Edited by Broomhead
Added TSA's website.
I've checked firearms a few times and had no problems. If there is a place to check in with special items like skis and golf clubs, choose that one. I absolutely avoid even making connections (you never know when you might find yourself "stuck" there) at airports in places where you may be arrested for simply having a handgun when you attempt to check it back in: NYC, Newark, DC/Reagan, Boston, Baltimore, Chicago.

Not that it has changed anything, but some are trying...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf

Make sure the gun is in a locked case and placed in a suit case which you lock as well even if you can only use a small key or combo lock on it. A pistol is just too easy to walk away with.

I think you are mistaken on having a locking suitcase. You cannot fly commercially with a checked bag that is locked.

I think you are mistaken on having a locking suitcase. You cannot fly commercially with a checked bag that is locked.

I do it all the time. I have my gun in a locked case inside of a suitcase where I place a lock on the two zippers after I close it shut. There is no reason after the gun goes through TSA for it to be opened or unlocked.

Now if you do not have a gun inside the suitcase and you lock it and walk off or allow the person to simply place it on the belt, they are not too fond of that. They do randomly inspect suitcases. If you have non-TSA locks on it and are not present they well could cut the locks off if they are determined to look inside. But if I have a gun in the suitcase I never leave until the bag and gun case have both been inspected and cleared to be placed on the belt. I usually don't carry anything else valuable in my suitcase, I keep it with me, so I do not lock the suitcase if I don't have a gun in there.

Naturally if you carry a rifles(s) or shotgun(s), then the entire case will be locked. I likewise wait until that has been cleared and locked back up before I walk off. In fact the locks I use require my key to be in the lock to lock or unlock them.

Part of the problem, at security gates anyway, is a lack of consistency between cities in the way they go about things. The lack of consistency makes it slower to get traffic through the system. I have no idea if these body scanner are really worthwhile, but it is a bigger pain in the neck. You have to remove everything from the pockets and the belt and even your wallet. I do not like to take my wallet out and put it anywhere.

I have yet to fly out of Nashville since they just acquired theirs. I will be next week though. So far anyway this has been the procedure everywhere I have been.

I don't enjoy flying anymore at all and I will drive to my meetings if less than 400 or so miles. Security was extremely lax for a long time, then since 2001 it has been better or worse, up and down. But it isn't the security as much as the hassle or increasing delays and issues that make it suck nowadays. I flew 400k miles a year for more than a decade and I am glad I don't do that anymore.

Edited by Warbird
Guest Broomhead

You can lock your bag when you check it. However, you need to either wait for it to be cleared and offer up the key/combo if they need to open it, ask for it to be locked and hand them your lock so they can lock it when done, or use a TSA approved lock.

I've wanted to check a handgun previously but didn't becasue I don't have a lockable case that I think, after reading the airline and TSA description, would be acceptable. My question is what do those of you that check a firearm in you luggage use for a case that is small enough but also strong enough, lockable and acceptable to TSA? :popcorn:

I've wanted to check a handgun previously but didn't becasue I don't have a lockable case that I think, after reading the airline and TSA description, would be acceptable. My question is what do those of you that check a firearm in you luggage use for a case that is small enough but also strong enough, lockable and acceptable to TSA? :popcorn:

I haven't used it to check a firearm, but that is one reason I got it and is good for other times as well

In Car Gun Safe

Guest Broomhead

Any hard plastic or metal case with either lockable catches or a place to feed the hasp of a lock through part of both the top and bottom of the case will work and is acceptable.

Guest aaron_wil

That figures, Chicago is one of the cities I will be visiting......I'll have to do more research with TSA I am thinking.

Guest aaron_wil
That figures, Chicago is one of the cities I will be visiting......I'll have to do more research with TSA I am thinking.

I should be fine, according to Chicago PD. Since I am not an IL resident, the FOID (Firearms Owner Identification Program) does not apply but, of course, I need to keep it locked up in a case, never to see daylight until out of IL state lines.

I travel quite a lot to Missouri. I go out of my way to go to MO from TN w/o going into IL. I will not travel their highways I will not be stopping there for gas, food, lodging. I do not accept offers from friends to hunt there. I will not give them a dime of my money. They have a great shooting complex in IL. I am sorry it is in that state.

Mike, you can...but it is best to stay with your bag untill TSA has put it through the scanner. If they need it unlocked they will ask you to do so. If you leave they will page you back to the counter and if you have already made it through the security checkpoint, this can be a major PIA. As an airline employee, I see this all the time.

Tip of the day.......if you are going to check a firearm, get to the airport at least 1 1/2 hours before your flight dseparts! This will give you plenty of time to properly check your weapon in, and deal with tose folks that may be less than helpfull regardless of what airline you choose. Then you have time to stop at Starbucks for a $14 cup of coffe like liquid.

I used to travel fairly regularly for business, occasionally internationally. I'd stick a small zip tie through the zipper pulls to "lock" my luggage. I'd also put a few spare zip ties in a ziplock bag right on top. On a few occasions, when I opened my bag at my destination or at home, I'd find the note from TSA in my bag stating it had been searched. Every time, a zip tie had been reinstalled.

Guest aaron_wil

Thought I would share the reply I got from the TSA:

Thank you for your e-mail message concerning the checked baggage screening process and how it affects passengers carrying firearms in checked baggage.

On flights that originate in the U.S. passengers can transport a firearm in accordance with 49 CFR §1540.111 under the following conditions:

. the firearm must be unloaded;

. it must be in checked, not carry-on, baggage;

. it must be in a locked hard-sided container; and

. it must be declared to the airline.

If these conditions are met, the airline will place a declaration tag inside the checked baggage containing the firearm. This notice alerts Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) to the presence of the firearm if they have to open the bag to inspect it.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is required by law to electronically screen all checked baggage that goes aboard a commercial passenger flight. If electronic screening cannot verify that a bag and its contents are safe to bring onboard the flight, TSOs will inspect the bag by hand. TSA, therefore, encourages (but does not require) passengers to keep their checked bags unlocked to facilitate the process and reduce the need to break locks.

TSA recommends that you place the locked hard-sided container with the firearm inside a suitcase or other bag before you check it with your airline. This will allow you to leave your suitcase unlocked but also to comply with the requirement that the firearm be in a locked container.

You can use a hard-sided locked suitcase as the sole container for your firearm. However, this can lead to one of the two following complications if your bag needs to be inspected by hand:

. If the TSOs can determine from the screening equipment that the bag contains a firearm, they will not open it. They will instead attempt to locate you and obtain the key or combination so that they can inspect the bag. If they cannot locate you, the bag will not be allowed onboard the aircraft.

. If the TSOs do not see that the bag contains a firearm before they open it, they may force open the lock and proceed to inspect the bag. Once the lock is forced open, the bag cannot be allowed on an aircraft until it is relocked. TSA will attempt to locate you and make suitable arrangements.

These potential inconveniences can be avoided by following TSA's recommendation that you pack your firearm by itself in a separate, hard-sided, locked container and pack the container inside your suitcase. If TSOs need to open your bag to inspect it, they will be able to do so with out breaking a lock on the bag.

Once the TSOs open the bag, they will see the declaration in your suitcase and will not open the locked container encasing the firearm. They will proceed to search the bag, close it, and (presuming the bag is free of prohibited items) will be able to allow it onboard your flight.

We encourage you to visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

TSA Contact Center

Guest DMasterson

One thing I would highly recommend is getting a screen-grab printout of the airline's policy and the TSA policy above. Be sure you carry it with you to show anyone who isn't up to speed on the laws and regulations regarding checking a firearm.

I've had experiences at both ends of the spectrum discussed here while travelling. The first time I checked in a firearm, I walked up and told the ticket agent that I had a firearm that I need to check and she looked like she wanted to dive under the counter and immediately called over the airport police in a near panic. When they told her it was legal, she started to insist that HER airline didn't allow it. After showing her the print-out of her company policy she grudgingly allowed it. Fortunately, the officers were much more knowledgeable about the whole situation.

The funny part of the situation was when the officer told the ticket agent that she had to verify that it was unloaded, she freaked out a bit, so the officer did it for her. The lead officer took my Wilson Combat 1911 out of the case.... and started to drool over it for at least a minute while they 'inspected' it for her :hat:

• 2 months later...
Guest aaron_wil

Sorry for the old bump, but I thought someone would like to know how it actually went.

I flew out of Nashville originally. I informed the person at the check-in counter that I had a firearm to declare. They asked me if it was unloaded and in a case, I told them it was. I had to then sign a piece of paper basically stating that I understood that if the firearm was loaded, then I was committing a felony. I had to put that piece of paper in my suitcase. The same process in Cleveland.

But Chicago....ugh. The same rules apply, but the process took significantly more time because they most had their head up their butts. For some reason, the lady at the check-in counter had ME open my suitcase, unlock and open my GUN CASE, and then DISPLAY my unloaded gun. Right in front of everyone.... Now I really don't mind it. I know how to properly handle my firearm and keep it discreet, but I really didn't feel comfortable doing that myself because I knew I shouldn't.

I know that they are supposed to check it (if they check it at all). So I had her restate that she was asking me to do this multiple times. I then had to place that piece of paper INSIDE MY GUN CASE? I told her that I needed to put it in my suitcase and not in the gun case, I explained that I have been to 2 different airport in the past week and she is the only one that has asked me to do this. She insisted that she was right, so I did what she asked and hoped that I wouldn't be fined for not having the piece of paper in my suitcase.

In conclusion, I come back with the following thoughts from my experience:

It wasn't really that big of a deal to check-in a firearm. You have to deal with ignorance of laws more so than people just being complicated.

It really didn't take any longer than normal check-in, except in Chicago

I think with the headache of dealing with human error and the new backscatter machines, I will just drive from now on.