Weird internet problem

TN-popo

Recently, I have had problems accessing two sites from my home computer...one is another gunboard and one is Youtube.

The gunboard won't even come up (I get that IE "there is a problem with this page notice" 100% of the time).

Youtube will come up, but the videos won't play...they just continuously "load."

Both these sites work fine if I'm not at home.

These are the only two sites that I have a problem with.

I do have Comcast at the house, but again, since these are the only two sites that I have problems with, I'm kinda mystified.

This problem just started a couple of weeks ago...before that, there was no problem with either site.

Obviously, I'm not a "computer guy."

Thoughts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn off computer

Unplug modem

Wait a minute

Plug modem back in let all lights come on

Turn computer back on

Try again

Not sure if that will work, just the first thing I do when wrud things happen. Sometimes a reboot will help.

Give us a bit more info.

I am a bit out of practice on home setups other then mine.

I am mainly in business support currently but I do have some background on the homeside.

What windows are you running, ME, XP, Visita, Windows 7?

We know you have Comcast. Do you have a router? Are you wireless?

I see you are getting these problems in IE. Have you tried Firefox for testing at least?

If only IE, do you know if it is 6, 7, or 8?

I am going to stop there and give you a breather. Before considering spyware/viri problems.

As suggested full network reboot is not a bad idea, power on the modem first, wait for it to come up, then the router, wait for it to come up, then the PC.

In the control panel, in internet options Or from inside IE Tools, then internet options, you need to clear your cookies and temporary files.

If you have IE 7 or higher I go to delete, then Delete all. Be mindful if you have saved passwords on websites this wipes them out. I don't recommend anyone save passwords on websites. Funny I work in IT and one of our number one call reasons is I FORGOT my password in some form or another, however the call normally starts out, my password isn't working for some reason.

In the control panel, in internet options Or from inside IE Tools, then internet options, you need to clear your cookies and temporary files.

If you have IE 7 or higher I go to delete, then Delete all. Be mindful if you have saved passwords on websites this wipes them out. I don't recommend anyone save passwords on websites. Funny I work in IT and one of our number one call reasons is I FORGOT my password in some form or another, however the call normally starts out, my password isn't working for some reason.

I do this pretty regularly (and defrag), but it doesn't help.

Thank you for the FireFox advice, though. I think I'll just start using it...I'm just so used to using IE.

I'm just curious as to why this IE issue popped up all of a sudden.

Recently, I have had problems accessing two sites from my home computer...one is another gunboard and one is Youtube.

The gunboard won't even come up (I get that IE "there is a problem with this page notice" 100% of the time).

Youtube will come up, but the videos won't play...they just continuously "load."

Both these sites work fine if I'm not at home.

These are the only two sites that I have a problem with.

I do have Comcast at the house, but again, since these are the only two sites that I have problems with, I'm kinda mystified.

This problem just started a couple of weeks ago...before that, there was no problem with either site.

Obviously, I'm not a "computer guy."

Thoughts?

When all else fails.. Go into internet options, click on the advanced tab, then click reset to default settings. This will reset IE to it's out od box state and disable all add-ins. Most of the time IE's issue is the add-ins that get installed. ie: search and tool bars. I don't EVER install that crap and I never have an issue using IE.

As for flash, it is funny. I just updated flash on my computer about 3 days ago. Then 2 days ago when I updated my Firefox it told me flash needed to be updated again. I was wondering if it was using a different plug in for flash. At any rate couldn't hurt to make sure your flash is up to date. It might have an impact on the youtube problem.

lowbud is right, resetting IE could help as well.

It may be a security feature in IE if you have IE 8. Some websites have issues with IE 7, where 6 works and 8 works.

I tried to post from work, and I think the site had a temp crash this morning.

Anyways, retyping it.

Next I would look for Malware/vii problems.

Some of the best anti malware programs I have found are Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes. Both are free. However I have donated to Spybot.

Anti virus programs are like Ford/Chevy. Depends on who you like the best. They all pretty much update regular. No single program will stop everything.

Personally I like AVG 9, however there are others out there that work just as well, maybe better.

I actually use the Free personal edition.

Anyways, make sure your PC is malware and virus free would be next.

Let us know what IE you have.

Let us know what IE you are using.

Firefox user here, too. I haven't used IE since Netscape.

I get asked to upgrade Flash frequently. Kind of

irritating.

Adobe Flash has been a mixed blessing since its inception.

It still hangs both Firefox and IE occasionally on LA Times crossword site. Have to end proggies with Task Manager.

- OS