Ditch everything but one

• Admin Team

So I got to thinking last night, and thought this would be fun to get some different peoples' favorites. So here's the deal. You have to ditch every knife you own but one. Which one blade would you keep?

Since I know people will throw out the different categories of knives to try to keep from narrowing it down to just one, you can list in any of the following categories. Also, since this is purely for fun, lets assume that you can own, possess, carry and use anything you want. You don't have to own the blades to post - this can be your wish list if you want. But, you must end your post with the ONE single blade that you would keep.

Here are the categories:

Fixed blade:

Folder:

Multitool:

Automatic:

Machete:

As always, pictures are a plus. Remember, you have to narrow it down to a single blade.

Edited by MacGyver
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I'll start us out:

I trend towards working knives that can do a hard job well. I like high carbon steels, too.

Fixed Blade: My trusted Rat Cutlery (ESEE) RC-5. I've trusted my life to it more than once. And probably will again.

esee-5.jpg

Folder: Spyderco Military - In my opinion, everything a working knife should be. Positive grip, fast to deploy, wickedly sharp out of the box, and able to hold a great edge. Despite the great name Spyderco made for themselves with serrated knives, I love the plain edge on this one. Serrated blades have their place, just not very often in my pocket.

military%20blk%20plain.jpg

Multitool: I'm such a tossup on this one, as I think in general multitools try to fill a lot of roles, and don't do any one thing well.. My current EDC is a Gerber Crucial. My multitool for use in the field when I've got more room is a SOG EOD. Neither has failed me yet. I gave up on Leathermans a few years ago. Despite trying to like them, I broke at least half a dozen.

SOG99102.jpg

Automatic: I love my Microtech Ultratech OTF Plain edge.

mt1211.jpg

Machete: Currently a Swamp Rat Waki. Also have to give honorable mention to the Bark River Golok. I've yet to find what I really want in a machete. One of these days I'll get my act together and some spare time and turn one out. The Swamp Rat is a great blade, though.

Waki_850x.jpg

If I had to ditch everything else, I would keep the RAT RC-5. Hands down.

Edited by MacGyver

Fixed blade: Mora Bushcraft Tri-Flex

MoraBushcraftTri-flex.jpg

Folder: German Army One Handed Trekker made by Victorinox

GermanArmyKnife.jpg

Multitool: Leatherman New Wave thought the Victorinox Line is a VERY, VERY, VERY close second!

NewWave.jpg

Automatic: Ok, not technically an Automatic, but I would never own one any way. It opens just as fast though.

?action=view&current=Chive.jpg&t=1285421616190Chive.jpg

Machete: Cold Steel Kopis Machette. They dropped it from their line, but I like the pointy sword like tip. I think it would make a dandy defense weapon!

cold_steel_kopis.jpg

The Mora Bushcraft Tri-Flex is my go-to blade. Can't beat a Mora for the price, weight, sharpness and handiest knife on the market. There is only one draw back to a Mora and that's the sheath. They are not the best in the world and most people end up buying a good after market leather sheath.

Edited by Moped
To get the images right
  • Admin Team

That Cold Steel Kukri is a great blade. Especially for the price.

Moped, I agree with you on the Mora sheath. While it definitely goes along with their simplicity, I'd probably replace it, too. Great blade, though. And you can't beat the price on it either.

1. Fixed Blade Chris Reeve Mark IV (I want one) will eventually own one

2. Microtech Socom D/A is the best auto, but I love the HaloV as well

3. Zero Tolerance 0300 series the best folding knives

4. Multitool Victorinox Spirit

5. Don't own or want a Machete

If I could only keep one, one of the Zero Tolerance 300 series, I think they are that good

Edited by willis68
I hope they send you a Christmas card. I don't think they get a better evangelist for the line than you. I'm looking forward to their new one.

Folders are the knives of my choice and In my opinion the absolute best Folding knifes are made in Ohio by a Firefighter/ Custom knife maker named Rick Hinderer, I am waiting on a 3.5 inch XM-18 flipper in Blue that Rick is now building for me, this should be a knife that I will keep for the rest of my life and carry damn near everyday I have a 3 inch but find it too small for EDC, the Zero Tolerance knives are 2nd to the Hinderer knives for strength and durability but above Strider in every category, this makes them in my opinion the best production knife on the market

I do not know about a christmas card but I did get a T-shirt from my dealer on the last order :cool:

Edited by willis68