THP out of control

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I call BS on this. Something doesn't sound right. All of the news over the last 2 years about gun rights in TN, i would bet THP knows what the laws are. It is perfectly legal to carry unloaded guns in a vehicle in TN as long as the ammo is not in the same compartment.

Guest KimberChick
I agree, I call BS on this. Something doesn't sound right. All of the news over the last 2 years about gun rights in TN, i would bet THP knows what the laws are. It is perfectly legal to carry unloaded guns in a vehicle in TN as long as the ammo is not in the same compartment.

I figured it'd be easy to find via the guy's name. No such luck. All that came up was his two blog entries.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I, too, find parts of this difficult to believe. If it listed a county or a district, I could easily find out what the affidavit says.

He said that the THP officer lived in Cookeville, on the Whitepages thing... That's Putnam County... District 6

Edited by Glock23ForMe

Well, considering he has a badge number and a name. We still only have 1 side.

I would like to see video from the THP car.

However, reading the part about the drug dog is kinda by belief, if they want to find a reason for a search or to get a warrant, they will find a reason. ( that is as far as I will go)

We only have 1 side, the side of an angry, upset person. No judgments being made.

So, why would this guy make this story up? I'd like to hear more about it, myself.

Why? Because people lie, especially if they have an axe to grind. When I was a LEO, my father would regularly concoct all sorts of BS about how the police harassed him. Listening to him, he was pulled over by a crooked cop at least twice a week.

IF this actually happened as the original complainant says, the Troopers involved either intentionally disregarded the statute on unlawful carry or they are so inept that they didn't know the law or even consider looking it up. The statute (39-17-1307) specifies that a firearm locked up and unloaded in a private vehicle is not illegal. It also notes that those with a carry permit are exempt (I believe the Colorado is recognized in TN). I have a sneaky suspicion that there is a lot more to this story than what the original account says. That there is no other follow-up information on the incident that took place 5 months ago is a big red flag for me.

I would like to see the in car video before I jumped to conclusions. All THP units have cameras, as far as patrol is concerned. I also like the part "Officer Loftis then asked with no probable cause, if I had any drugs or weapons in the car." There is no need for probable cause to ask a question like this. I'm glad most people so far have the sense enough to know there is always two sides to a story before crucifying the trooper.

To add for you report hunters a misdemeanor citation for unlawful possession of a weapon wouldn't require a report. You would have to request a copy of the citation itself to see any paperwork unless required by a supervisor or policy.

Edited by Pain103
So, why would this guy make this story up?

Because some people love to make up stupid **** about cops or some people just love the limelight (goofy yes, but already this guy got 8 pages on this site alone...pertaining to an account that, so far, doesn't have a shred of proof).

I've been a civilian cop for 15 years and I am currently a shift SGT who supervises 12 officers. When the officer's audio/video is checked, the majority of citizen complaints are either TOTAL BS (btw, that can be prosecuted under 39-16-502-False Reports) or a misunderstanding of proper police procedure.

Sometimes I don't like what I see when I review an officer's A/V, but it's a rarity.

I'm not saying that this account can't be true...believe me, I've known some idiot THP Troopers (in fact, one was fired, in part, for something he did to me).

I am saying that I'm not going to throw these Troopers under the bus just because some guy posts something on the internet.

Edited by TN-popo