Any right handed shooters aim with their left eye?

Will Carry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am rigjt-handed and left-eye-dominant. Not really a big deal since I shoot handguns with both eyes open. I have a shotgun which I also shoot right-handed using only my right (weaker) eye. I've not shot it nearly as much as my handguns so I haven't given it much thought. I'm considering a rifle for my next purchase. Although I shoot handguns often, I didn't grow up around guns so I have very little experience with rifles. I know that some guys keep both eyes open with holographic sights but I'm not sure if I should consider learning to shoot left-handed before buying a rifle. What do you guys think?

I would try it right handed first Most rifles are built for right handed shooters. All of my rifles, except my AR, have magnified optics, and are focused to my eye.

Guest Drewsett
those that shoot with "both eyes" .... For us guys that shoot with a single (left or right) is this something hard to learn?

It really depends on how long you've been doing it that way. How hard is it to unlearn a habit? I still occasionally find myself closing my opposite eye from time to time and I've been shooting with both eyes open for about a year now.

Guest Willy McCoy

I'm left eye dominant and as far as which hand I use it depends on what I'm doing. I started out writing left hand, but my first grade teacher made all us lefties use our right hands, so that's how I write now. Long guns I shoot left handed which is why I don't shoot a bolt and one reason I prefer a lever action. Pistols, I hold with my right for some reason. Don't know why, but it just works for me.