RECOIL

A.J. Holst

I need a ballistics lesson:

Handgun:

Ruger SP101 with 2.25" barrel

Ammo fired, Remington UMC

.357 125gr SJHP

.38+p 125gr SJHP

Obviously the .357 has more recoil and bigger bang. (plus gets more attention on the range)

The .38 seemed to have more muzzle flash, but is much more comfortable to shoot.

I shoot both rounds equally well, but can get back on target slightly faster with the .38

Here's the question:

Will a .38 158gr LSWC have more recoil than the .38 125gr JHP?

The reason I ask, it makes a good SD and target round and is cheaper than .38/.357 HPs

I know I will be looking at more cleaning with a lead bullet, but I clean after each time at the range, so a little more effort is no big deal.

TIA

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically a heavier bullet weight will have more felt recoil. However, a load with a lead bullet will generally have a lower powder charge than the same weight jacketed bullet. So, my guess on your particular question would be the felt recoil of a standard pressure 158gr. lswc and a standard pressure 125gr jacketed would be close to the same. If you bumped the jacketed up to +P then the 125gr. would recoil more. By the way, you can get the lswc in a hollow point as well.

I was explaining this to my wife tonight - providence or coindence? Any it is quite irrelevent. Unless you are a 11 yr old 74lk person or are older with arthritis or are disabled with soft tissue damage in hands, wrists, elbows or shoulders the difference in recoil management is not about pain but about time. Buy some 180 grain Buffalo Bore .357, any hyper velocity 110 grain .357 and all the +P or std velocity .38 you can stomach and take your SP101 to the range. First is weapon confidence.

1)The SP 101 can take it, all of it.

2) Quit shooting a Double Action revolver in Single Action. The SP101 is not a '50's target revolver - it is the preeminent snub nose .357 defense revolver made in the World! Shoot any load with confidence.

3) Adopt a Modified Weaver stance with weak side foot "slightly" forward of strong side food - shoulder width apart. Knees slightly bent. Slightly bent at the waist forward. First distal joint married with the center of the trigger pad.

4) Accept recoil as a natural event, absorbing it with your wrist, elbows and shoulders - allowinig your upper body to firmly absorb the rest

5) Of course offer muscle resistance or you will clock your forhead with the butt of the gun - I have seen this from a knucklehead. But the resistance doesn't have to be that of you holding off a 230lb NFL linebacker.

6) Shoot 250 rds in one shooting session and you will figure it out and be surprised how easy this is. You think that is expensive - what is the alternative? Dead? How expensive is that?

7) All the athletic things you know from baseball, softball, volleyball, martial arts, ping pong, badminton, lacrosse, football, basketball, etc. can be applied to shooting. If you don't know those things then reread No. 3.

Best thing is to buy 250 rds of ammo and shoot it all at one setting then you will start to figure out what shooting is about and that you can manage it. Sight picture, grip and speed are on you.

Craig