I bought a Ruger New Vaquero Bisley .357 today.

Will Carry

It's polished stainless, 5.5" barrel, imitation ivory grips, Western style fixed blade front site with a grooved back site, in .357 caliber. The Bisley package gives it a hammer with a lowered spur that makes it much easier to operate. You don't have to reach up with your thumb to cock the hammer. It has a wider trigger and the classic Bisley grip angle, developed in Bisley England for target shooting. It supposedly weights 45oz I haven't wieghted it yet but it is clearly the heaviest pistol I own. No wonder cowboys road horses. This thing would be like carrying an anvil on your hip. I guess I should actually shoot this pistol before I review it but that won't be for a couple of weeks. I was suprised how well these old western style sites line up. Hopefully they will be accurate enough for some good plinking.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe
Pics or it didnt happen. :drama:

This^^^^ is true.:)

I have had my mind on those Vaqueros myself lately, I have no "need" what so ever for any more handguns but I do believe I want not one but two of them.....you know like a real cowboy.:up:

I hope you enjoy your "cowboy" shooter. I love my 45 LC one, and now want more and more and more. Funny thing, even with being heavy, at the range last night it was the only guy that I was puttin' 'em into 1-3 holes center. All my other toys were all over the place it seems. Hope you're accuracy will prove to be what you want with it. Enjoy!

I was able to shoot my new Bisley Vaquero today. It's very accurate (I was worried about that), it's comfortable to shoot and it's so heavy that the .357 loads were a breeze. I was able to aim it well even with my blurry up close vision. That polished stainless front blade sight stands out pretty well. I shot a box of 38 special and nearly a box of .357 through it. There were two young fellers in the stall next to me shooting Glocks. They looked like they were safety conscious so I asked them if they'd like to shoot it. They did not know how to load it, unload it or that it was single action. But I think they got a kick out of shooting it. I know I did. I think I'll name it "Honey". My 1911 is named "Thumper". My GP-100 is named "Hammer." My DB380 is named "Jammer". Ain't America great!

If you want to see a picture of it. It looks just like this'un here. Ruger® Vaquero® Bisley Single-Action Revolver Models

Edited by Will Carry
Guest Willy McCoy

I've got the old model Vaquero in 44-40 with the 7.5 barrel. A bit bigger and heavier than the New Model. I like it okay, but Ruger didn't pay much attention to SAAMI specs and used a 44 Mag bore barrel so ammo between it and my Marlin in 44-40 won't interchange worth a hoot. I've been thinking about seeing what I can get for it and getting a New Model in 357 to go with the other lever guns around here. (either that or a Remington 1875 clone in 357)