Building a 1911

Alpha13

Disclaimer: I am relatively new to the gun world but I am willing to learn

Now on to the question: I am wondering if you can build a 1911 from parts.

little details such as:

is it legal to completely build it from parts?

Is the process so over complicated that it is not worth doing?

Will the cost make it worth buying something like a RIA and modding it?

Am I just plum :P?

I lean towards the smaller setups 3" barrels and such, would not mind making it a system that can interchange barrels and slides. Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance,

A

ps: I am not interested in making this a debate about brands, I know there are certain 1911's that most prefer.

pps: I know that the bigger the barrel the better but I like smaller for carry... So please save the debates oversize for another thread

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can build a 1911 from parts and it is perfectly legal. The only part that has to be purchased from an FFL would be the frame. But it's not like putting an AR-15 together, there is a lot of fitting involved. Nearly every part will have to be fitted by hand, even if it is a "drop in" part. You could easily buy an RIA complete for the cost of a slide and frame and modify it from there.

Personally, I wouldn't even think of trying to build an officer(3-3.5" barrel) sized pistol though.

It's possible, it's legal, I've done it. The only thing you'll have trouble with is staking the plunger tube - I had a gunsmith do mine.

It was fun and I learned a LOT about how 1911's function (and malfunction). The only hand-fitting I had to do was to polish the sides of the hammer just a little. Sear springs are finicky.

Parts were expensive 25 years ago -- I imagine they're worse now.

As USMCJG said, most parts are going to have to be fitted. Even if the 1911 gods are shining down upon you and everything is perfect (very unlikely) you are still going to have to fit the beavertail safety and thumb safety to that gun. Both of which aren't that hard for someone who has done it before but for someone who hasn't it can be very overwhelming. The difference between a properly functioning safety and one that doesn't can sometimes be as little as a few strokes of a file. Take into account that if you mess up either of these the gun WILL be UNSAFE. This will force you to spend more money to buy replacements to start over, trust me I know. I messed up quite a few because I wasn't patient when I first started messing with 1911's. All other parts should be relatively easy to put in but they too will likely need minor fitting to function correctly.

One thing I can say that most beginners try to do is use some sort of grinding tool, either a Dremel or grinding wheel. By using these, as a beginner, you will only mess things up. Files or sandpapaer only and even then you need to be aware. Go slow, take your time and check the fit, and more importantly function, very often. Also, get a book detailing what you intend to do. There are literally dozens of 1911 books on the market that can help you if you do decide to build you own.

Most of the frame parts are going to be the same between a compact model and other models with the exception of the mainspring housing and parts related to it. The recoil system is different between the compacts and the full or mid size guns.

As far as compacts go they are easier to hide but can also be more finicky. I have carried officer models in the past but I carry a full size gun now. The full size guns are still easy to conceal and most people whould never know I have a 5" 1911 on my side. My wife doesn't like my officer model because the recoil is too much for her to enjoy compared to a full size gun. This extra recoil can make range time a little rougher for you as well if you plan on doing a lot of shooting with it as well.

Personally, I would buy a complete gun then have it modified to your liking by either you or a smith.

Dolomite

I had the opportunity to shoot DS's full size side-by-side to my commander, the recoil was noticeable between the 5" barrel of the full size and the 4-1/4" barrel of the commander.

I spoke with DS and some other 1911 owners about the compact / officer''s model, I'm glad I got a commander.

If I'm not mistaken, there is also an older post on the forum which discusses why a compact / officer's can/may have a higher probability of mechanical hiccups.

With price points starting in the low $400s and going up to thousands, you can buy a entry model and modify to your heart's content or start at the upper range and not have to do much. DS did let me know IF you do get a entry model and really go hog wild, you won't re-coup your investment, the frame will still have "Metro Arms or RIA" stamped, not Kimber, Dan Wesson, etc.

I got my first 1911 2 weeks ago --- I now understand the addiction!

The problem with building the gun from the ground up is the cost of all the tools to do the job properly. You may have to squeeze the slide and or peen the rails, requiring jigs that cost quite a bit. Other tools add quickly. I sold 300.00 worth of parts and tools last year to fella who built his first 1911. He was a machinist, who collected old 1911s, therefore he had a headstart in many departments.

If you are going to build one I recommend a Government or 5" gun. I experimented with 4" 1911s, the Commander being 4.25".

I do think you might be better served buying a new Phillipino made 1911 and modifying it at your leisure. You can get one of the RIA tactical types for 450-500.00 I believe. You could always be on the lookout for a used one or Norinco. Right now I have a Norinco in .45 and a RIA 1911 in 9mm, both work well. I have had a few others and find the two I have now no better and no worse than other higher dollar 1911s.

Guest Orionsic
Disclaimer: I am relatively new to the gun world but I am willing to learn

Now on to the question: I am wondering if you can build a 1911 from parts.

little details such as:

is it legal to completely build it from parts?

Is the process so over complicated that it is not worth doing?

Will the cost make it worth buying something like a RIA and modding it?

Am I just plum :wave:?

I lean towards the smaller setups 3" barrels and such, would not mind making it a system that can interchange barrels and slides. Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance,

A

ps: I am not interested in making this a debate about brands, I know there are certain 1911's that most prefer.

pps: I know that the bigger the barrel the better but I like smaller for carry... So please save the debates oversize for another thread

Your going to buy an over-priced springfield 1911 before you build your own gun.

Edited by Orionsic

I have built several Norincos and in fact when I bought my American Classic II by Metro Arms I had considered buying another.

I am glad I didn't, the AC II is hands down the best sub $500 1911 you are going to buy. I know my Norincos and have been pleased with them but the AC is magnitudes better in both fit and finish. I have, and actually did on the same day, hold several RIA to compare them the the AC. The AC again beat out its closest competitor in both fit and finish. RIA's are good but not exude the same quality as the AC II's do. I can say that the AC II has a better fit than my Colt and seems like it is going to shoot better as well.

The AC II's have forged 4140 frames and slides. as well as some nice "bling" most users are going to add.

Specs on the Merto Arms

Review of the AC II

The only reason I would consider a RIA is that they are available in 9mm. This was a factor for me but the deciding factor was the quality feel of the gun.

I can say it doesn't have its faults becaue it does but the most important factors in getting and accurate gun are there, all the rest can be easily fixed or even left as is. The sights are Novak style but mine have quality issues and are going to get replaced the second I can. My extractor was a bit out of spec, it didn't affect firing (which has been flawless) but when I went to clear certain kinds of ammo it caused the loaded rounds to hang. I installed a new extractor and the problems went away. These parts are stuff I normally replace anyways so for me it wasn't an issue.

I believe that if you buy a AC II you are going to be ahead of the game than if you bought a RIA or a Norinco.

Dolomite