Handguns prohibited signs and liquor stores

When I took my HCP class, I was informed that the old "Firearms are prohibited" signage was considered an outdated sign and non-obligatory for HCP holders at the time. My question is due to the recent changes of carrying a firearm into posted businesses, is the old signage that prohibits firearms from being carried into places where alcohol that is sold (not served) valid again? I am thinking "no" since the older signs do not conform to the revised "gun free" signage but wasn't sure if that changed. When I go to a liquor store, I always carry due to the "robbery rich" environment atmosphere that comes with a retail business such as a liquor store. As a matter of fact, I carry 99% of the time everywhere I go (even to get gas in the daytime). Am I breaking the law? I don't want to do something illegal if I can help it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused by your question so I'll just answer what I think you are asking. It's not illegal to carry in a liquor store or restaurant/bar now, unless posted.

In order for the posting to be proper it has to either be the 39-17-1359 wording and "circle/slash" or just the "circle/slash" now.

Edited by Punisher84
Guest Glock23ForMe
I'm a little confused by your question so I'll just answer what I think you are asking. It's not illegal to carry in a liquor store or restaurant/bar now, unless posted.

In order for the posting to be proper it has to either be the 39-17-1359 wording and "circle/slash" or just the "circle/slash" now.

+1

You can pretty much carry anywhere now, unless it's court, city parks (depends on your city), schools (that's a picky one, too, depending on your student status and glovebox) or it has a Gunbuster's sign....

i.e.

6a00d8341d67e653ef01157031f74c970b-800wi&t=1&h=84&w=112&usg=__5i4vMlr6QM0nvMghCGD5O3RAXHo=

Anyone feel free to add somewhere if I forgot.. It's early

Sometimes when you talk about signs you have to be more specific, especially when it comes to alcohol.

57-3-204(e) and 57-4-203(k) used to require that places that sold alcohol for off-site and on-site consumption to post signs that notified you of the penalty for carry in those places when they were off-limits. These signs never prohibited carry, only gave warning of the consequences.

After the law was changed (in 2001 I think) to allow carry where alcohol was sold for off-site consumption, other parts of the law still required that these signs be posted. Previous to that no 39-17-1359 signs were required as carry was illegal by 39-17-1305

Even with the first restaurant bill in 2009, the requirements for the warning signs in title 57 were not removed even though it was legal, for a few months.

However the new restaurant bill, SB3012 which is now Public Chapter 1009 removed parts 57-3-204(e) and 57-4-203(k) from the TCA in sections 5 & 6.

Of course many places may not know the requirement of those signs has been removed and/or may not remove them, but only a 39-17-1359 compliant sign can "prohibit" carry.

Edited by Fallguy
I can find no reference to that? Only to places where alcohol is sold for consumption.

Or is it a sign that doesn't apply to permit holders, like the ones here that used to have to be displayed?

- OS

EDIT: Additional info:

"North Carolina law also prohibits any person carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol into any

assembly where a fee has been charged for admission or into any establishment where alcoholic

beverages are both sold and consumed."

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.3

http://www.grnc.org/images/wa_2007NCFirearmsLawsPub.pdf

- OS

The sign applies to permit holders, according to my concealed carry instructor. However, my little pocket pistol is undetectable. I carry it jest about everywhere except schools, government buildings, airports, places with metal detectors. When I go out to eat, even if the place serves liqour, I'll be carrying.

"I don't look for trouble, but when I find myself in it. It's nice to know, that I can blow, 300 rounds a minute."

The sign applies to permit holders, according to my concealed carry instructor. ...

Repeating, can find nothing in NC law re liquor stores and carry, only places that serve for onsite consumption, so I do believe you are confused on that point:

-----------------------------

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(:bowrofl: This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14©.)

----------------------------

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I can't seem to find a clearly defined law against it but the sign on the door of my liqour store is hard to miss and there is usually a sheriff's deputy in there. I have never had any problems but Durham has wierd gun laws.

I suspect you're seeing something akin to our own generic "no guns" signs that used to be posted in liquor/beer stores, that simply warns of separate offense for carrying there, but not related to permit carry.

I just posted in the opencarry forums in the NC section, to see what NC residents say about it.

Carry in Liquor Stores?

- OS

I have asked before but I will ask again. Why would you want to patronize ANY business that does not want you and your gun there? No matter what kind of sign they may have.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I have asked before but I will ask again. Why would you want to patronize ANY business that does not want you and your gun there? No matter what kind of sign they may have.

:D

(Unless it is your only option)

there are more than a few package stores still flying the old signage. The old signage means nothing to those carrying under the HCP banner.

I have been told that there is a still an ABC rule about having the no guns signs. Even thought the signage is no longer legal , ABC has not revised their code.

If that makes sense.

So even though there is no law prohibiting carry in a package store many still have the old signage posted somewhere.

Just ignore it and shop on.

:up:

(Unless it is your only option)

There are of course exceptions. I am just the kind of guy that tries to live by my principles. If a business does not want me and my legal gun then I will shop elsewhere or do without.