Peace Signs and more

Mechanic_X

Where do you guys come down on "peace signs". My kids will wind up with a t-shirt or earrings that find there way to the garbage. I do not make a big stink about it but my dad was in Viet Nam and hated the symbol. What about other things like "Ben and Jerry's" ice cream. I think they are commies and will not buy there stuff. I think you can drive yourself insane if you think about it too much. Older daughter's freshmen English class is called "World Studies". I start thinking multi-cultural Bravo sierra. But Ayn Rand's "Anthem is on the reading list. So is "Animal Farm". So not a commie propaganda class. It's late and I am rambling.;)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people, especially servicemembers, prefer peace to war. However, the whole "peace movement", whether from the Vietnam War all the way to today, was and is run by a bunch of idiots.

The movement in the 60's was encouraged and run by communist agents that infiltrated into them. The ones today are naive, anti-Republican, or just plain f*cktards.

Anybody who sticks their head in the sand thinking we can all sing kumbya and the whole world will love us is seriously deranged. The only true way to ensure peace is to prepare for war. There is no such thing as a peace dividend. Someone out there is always after what someone else has, even if it is your life.

Peace symbols and such nonsense as Ben and Jerrys are no more than marketing tools nowadays to sell chinese crap and ice cream to idiot liberals and ignorant fashionistas.

I like peace signs, they are old school. Assuming the peace sign originated in the sixties ( maybe it is older?) there was a strong moral ground to have peace. The country was fighting a useless war that we could not figure a way to get out of.. Seems history repeats itself.

At this point i think the peace sign has been bastardized sort of like the word liberal.

I despise them. TNrobocop is exactly right:

...Most people, especially servicemembers, prefer peace to war. However, the whole "peace movement", whether from the Vietnam War all the way to today, was and is run by a bunch of idiots.

The movement in the 60's was encouraged and run by communist agents that infiltrated into them. The ones today are naive, anti-Republican, or just plain f*cktards.

Anybody who sticks their head in the sand thinking we can all sing kumbya and the whole world will love us is seriously deranged. The only true way to ensure peace is to prepare for war. There is no such thing as a peace dividend. Someone out there is always after what someone else has, even if it is your life.

Peace symbols and such nonsense as Ben and Jerrys are no more than marketing tools nowadays to sell chinese crap and ice cream to idiot liberals and ignorant fashionistas. ....

I class the "track of the american chicken" right up there with the "Just Coexist" pronouncement. They are a bunch of childish, self-absorbed, foolish children who are reaping the harvest of inredible freedom (...for the time being...) while the very folks they vilify and deride keep them safe.

Leroy

Guest 731david
Most people, especially servicemembers, prefer peace to war. However, the whole "peace movement", whether from the Vietnam War all the way to today, was and is run by a bunch of idiots.

Peace symbols and such nonsense as Ben and Jerrys are no more than marketing tools nowadays to sell chinese crap and ice cream to idiot liberals and ignorant fashionistas.

A++

I get rid of them when they turn up. My older daughter knows how we as a family feel and that we think it is a slight to the Military. I do it discreetly though. A Che or Mao shirt would be burned with much fanfare.

I was not in the military(bad knee) started to try and force a waiver but went to a trade school instead. One of my closest friends was in "Desert Storm" and has just got back from Iraq again. I worried for him. I didn't wish I was there. He trained in Miss. with Hummers, but took command of a MRAP when he got in country. I told him I feel a lot better knowing hes in that. He said,"YOU feel better, I feel better."

My wife laughed when I threw "Rainbow Fish" in the garbage because it was a commie book--ten years ago or so. Its not funny now with what is going on in Washington.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm 61 and never thought the peace sign is a slight to the military. But folks can view the symbol any way they want. I haven't ever had or worn a peace sign, because I don't like jewelry or adornments or signs on shirts, and even back in the 1960's I thought the peace sign was just a cheezy commercialized group-think symbol.

Maybe it is fair to not like the symbol because you don't like the folks you usually see wearing the symbol. Guilt by association. Seems to work thataway for the nazi symbol.

The problem is in how you define 'peace'. Really. Remember Stalin defined 'peace' as 'an absence of opposition to world communism'. Is THAT what you want? How about 'the absence of conflict'? Hmmm, so if another country decides to just move the border markers, then there should be no option of conflict. What is to then stop any country from just taking whatever they want? The same goes for individuals. If you are not willing to defend things that are important, then how important are they? Really.

Pat slogans are what burn me up. To me, they demonstrate a total absence of thought. "Stop the violence". All violence? What about defending oneself? Is it better to allow yourself to be murdered than to stop it? If so, then you are potentially allowing OTHER murders to occur if you don't stop it yourself.

Guest peacexxl

Maybe I don't know much but I always thought that a huge part of the military's purpose was to keep peace. I am personally a big fan of peace and believe in it by virtually any means necessary. In my house peace is the rule. I have 3 kids (girls) who have thought about fighting once or twice and I reminded them that if anyone is going to fight in my house they have to fight me.

Don't get me wrong, I know that war and conflict are facts of life and have a purpose, but I thought that purpose on the most basic level was to achieve peace. I also kinda like the whole peace signs are communist propaganda attitude. Nothing ironic about that at all.

+1 I hate hippies. Patchouli is not a substitute for soap.

Don't forget that the "peace" sign started out in 1945 as the "V for victory" symbol after VE and VJ. The scummers co-opted the symbol and inserted their own meaning. After all, two fingers in the air is easier than miming a daisy in a rifle barrel, or rolling over and showing your belly like a good doggy.

If I ever decide to take the time to speak to hippies (unlikely), I think "who's a good doggie?" will be a question worth asking. They would think I'm an angry racist pawn of the capitalist system, and I'll think they're a pawn of ANSWER or the ISO (look em up, but not after you've eaten). Only one of us is right, and it turns out to be the owner and regular user of soap. I would have more faith in their peaceful and nonviolient nature if they didn't murder 20,000,000 people every time they took power.

Guest Lester Weevils

Looking like a hippy was a fashion statement of that generation. Most of my friends who came back from Nam-- After discharge they looked like hippies in the shortest time it took for the hair and beard to grow.

Some hippies were commies.

Probably most hippies were ordinary conformists. By the late 1970's when hippy fell out of fashion they replaced the peace sign and long hair with leisure suits and disco.

Would wager that there were more libertarian hippies than commie hippies.

Lots of folks here have the Heinlein and Ayn Rand quotes in sig lines. I like Heinlein and Rand.

Free love accompanied the "peace, man". Proto-libertarians such as Heinlein and Rand may not have signed on to commie collectivism, but bet yer booty they never turned down any free love. :) At that time and place, free love was easier to come by if a young feller had long hair. The gals who dug short hair, were not as likely into the free love thang. Just all fashion. A few years later the hip mating outfits were leisure suits and big hair.

There were the Free Bird Hippies, good-old-boy Allman Brothers/Lynrd Skynrd/Charlie Daniels fans. In 1967 those guys wore overalls and crewcuts beating up hippies. Then by 1969 they discovered that long hair made it easier to get dates.

Peace is very desirable. It is better not to fight if you can figger out a way. Pacifism is not contradictory to fighting when necessary. Libertarians will fight to ensure peace, but they think peace is lots better than war. Some fights are unavoidable, but on the other hand it makes no sense to go looking for a fight.

Guest Drewsett

Would wager that there were more libertarian hippies than commie hippies.

Most hippies I know fall into the libertarian category. Heck, I was a bit of a hippie myself for awhile. I grew out of the unwashed long hair phase, and while I don't do the drugs normally associated with hippies, I don't think the government should legislate things that only hurt the user (and it's debatable how much stuff like marijuana actually hurts).

Like was said earlier, the broken cross "peace symbol was co-opted by the hippy

movement in the 60's and 70's, which was full of communists. Nothing good about

it. "Coexist" bumper stickers are similar and don't have any depth to them, either.

The people who put that stuff on usually don't have much upstairs, but some just

think it's a cute symbol. The ones that do understand what it stands for are lost

causes because their existence is founded outside reality and they are usually the

ones you will find rebelling against any and all.

Then, there are some in denial about what that kind of stuff is. A parent will

tolerate it thinking it is harmless and just another T-shirt. The parent should wake

up. These people are useless idiots in a war they don't realize is going on around

them.

Your daughter's book list is probably okay, unless it includes "Rules for Radicals",

which I hear is starting to be promoted by the teachers' unions or some other

entity in the public schools. Usually when someone reads a book, they figure out

the good and bad on their own. It's the teacher that may try to put some weird

thought in their heads as to the theme of the book. If that's the case, time to find

another teacher or school. There are plenty of good teachers and that doesn't need

to happen.