Polishing Barrels ....

xRUSTYx

So,

As I was sitting and watching TV last night and polishing the feed ramps on my P238's i thought to myself .... why not polish the barrel ....

Some 2000 grit sand paper, polish and a rag, I would imagine would really make it stand out.

What's the general consensus? Good thing, or bad? Don't think I have seen many with polished barrels.

By the way = Polished Feed Ramps feel like butter and look even better :(

Yay or Nay? and if you have done it, and have pics, even better! Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polish the working parts and leave the rest alone. I traded for a Glock 36 last year that had the barrel polished like chrome. I thought it was real cool. The gun also had TFO night sights. WELLLL the sights reflected so brightly off of the shiny barrel top that it made it nearly impossible to shoot the gun in low light. I was looking at two sets of front sights. Plus you also devalue the gun considerably when you change the looks from factory.

How I clean barrels, I don't post much and should.

anyway,

Don't polish

Your barrel only needs an extremely light coat of oil, after it's properly cleaned with a good bore cleaner. Start with a real wet cleaning patch of bore cleaner making the patch as thick as you can on the cleaning rod. I add a few more drops of Shooters Choice

( my bore cleaner of choice ), into the pistol or rifle barrel and let it set for 20 minutes before running the "wet" bronze in and back threw the barrel, 5-6 times, ( keep the brush good and wet with bore cleaner while you brush 'straight threw and back' ( not twisting the brush which ruins the bronze bristles. )

After your done with the brush, start running wet patches until all fouling is gone. Make the patch tight on the rod. Then dry patch and finally == all ya' need is...

A cleaning patch with just one/two drops of oil on the pad, then leave just a light coat of oil on the barrel.

Keep it simple

T&R

thanks, it's my favorite. i didn't think it would replace my xd that's why i polished the barrel on it instead of the xd, now the xd is gone.

which XD did you give up? The XD9SC is on my "must have in future" list ... how do you like your SC?

Guest eyescream
Polish the working parts and leave the rest alone. I traded for a Glock 36 last year that had the barrel polished like chrome. I thought it was real cool. The gun also had TFO night sights. WELLLL the sights reflected so brightly off of the shiny barrel top that it made it nearly impossible to shoot the gun in low light. I was looking at two sets of front sights. Plus you also devalue the gun considerably when you change the looks from factory.

Are you talking about the barrel or the slide? :bowrofl:

i sold the sc. it was a really good gun and i never had one issue with it, it just wasn't filling any particular niche for me. the 4" xd is the one my wife shoots, and it has night sights on it so i didn't feel the need for 2 xd's. if I were going to have 1 do all gun, it would probably be the xd sc.

Guest eyescream
I think he must be talking about the chamber being polished.

I dunno. I still can't see any part of the slide between the sights when I'm holding the gun up shooting it and looking at the sights. As many stainless and hardchromed guns are out there, you'd think one would hear more complaints about it.

Are you talking about the barrel or the slide? ;)

I am talking about the barrel. The chamber end is flush with the top of the slide on a Glock. If it has a mirror finish it will reflect the front sight. With a brite night sight the reflection will be just as brite as the sight itself. It is not as big an issue in bright light but in dim light where you need the night sight it is a major issue.

This is why on your better 1911's the top of the slide is either blackened or has some rough texture as to not reflect light.

Edited by cheez

Keep in mind that the front and rear of most semi-auto barrels are where the lockup occurs. If you polish those areas, you are removing metal which will affect the tight lockup and could affect accuracy. I would be particularly careful about polishing around the muzzle. If the bearing surfaces are loose there, you WILL affect accuracy.