I love this gun, but...

StPatrick

There are some fit / finish issues with my P229 Dark Elite 9mm I didn't notice at the time of purchase. I don't know whether it's something that happens during normal production, or it's actually a problem. I don't intend to sell it pretty much ever, but the pics below will show why I have questions:

First, a pic of the left side - note the fit and parallel lines between the slide and frame at the rear of the gun:

4b62f8e2.jpg

Now look at the way the slide and frame on the right side are not uniform relative to the left- both have been "rounded off" in opposite directions:

df7f3a27.jpg

You can see that the farthest rear point on the slide is far more beveled upward, and that the right rear section of the frame is as well (the back of the frame where it meets the slide on the right side has a downward angle, whereas the left is parallel to the rails).

Is this an issue? I ask because though I love the way this gun shoots, should I ever decide to sell it, a potential buyer could make an issue of it and demand less.

Thanks for your feedback,

Patrick

Also, yes, I considered posting this at Sigforums, but I wanted to start here, with locals.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Highlander

I pulled out my 220 Elite, and it looks like an exact copy of your photos. Not sure why, but I am pretty sure it is engineered that way. I wouldn't worry about it. My only other SIG (a 239 9mm) was an absolute tackdriver, and totally reliable as well. I expect a SIG expert to come along shortly with an explanation of why they are built this way.

The Highlander

I have heard several people complaining about the finish on Sig pistols of late, My P220R was built in 2009, it is perfect It seems that the people who now run Sig sadly are cutting corners to save money, IE plastic guide rods and by the looks of your pistol are the same as all Sigs, that is just the way they look

Edited by willis68

I looked both at my West German Sig 226 and my 250s and they look like that too. My 226 I've had since Sig made its first push for LE Agencies in the late 80's, early 90's. It's had thousands of rounds through it with nary a burp, so if it shoots good, I'd ignore it. If it bothers you too much, I'll give you $250 for it right now.

Seeing as how others have seen the same thing, I'm curious as to why - it would be interesting to find out if there's a design / engineering reason for the assymetry.

As far as the whole "put X number of rounds through it...", I'm there and then some. It is not now, nor will it likely ever be, for sale. I was just making sure that someone couldn't raise it as an issue if I ever lost my mind and decided to part with it. Thanks, TGOers!