Ammo for a Walther P22

A.J. Holst

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the CCI MiniMags. Mine has no preference for the FMJ vs. the JHP. Either works fine. I've shot around 800 to 1000 so far.

I keep CCI Stingers in it when it's not at the range. I've pushed about 100 of those through it with no problem. Not my first choice if I need one for defense, but it's ready in case I need it.

You'll want to read this too:

http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

If the mag has a "B" or higher marking, most of the mods in the bible have already been done. You still want to look at the trigger bar ears though.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest buttonhook

although they work do not shoot the rem golden bullets the have a lube that gets all over everything. CCI mini mags work great. As long as they are high velocty rounds you should be good with almost anything though

I shoot the cheapest Federal bulk pack I can find in all my 22s. For the life of me, I can not figure out why in the hell people want to spend big bucks on CCI and other ammo for a 22!!

It's a 22 dammit....THE reason for shooting one is economy.

Repeat again after me....THE reason for shooting one is economy.

It's the economy, stupid!

Wow.

edited: Oh yeah, the subject. I shoot the cheapest 22 I can find thru my Walther P22. Why the hell you would want to shoot anything expensive is a total mystery to me. The pistol will work fine with the cheapest ammo. Some of these guns [mine] have to have a polishing of the feed ramp and an edge-break of the chamber to get them to run OK. Mine runs great. All this hype about hyper velocity, kudo-velocity, big-ass velocity is yet another mystery to me.

I must be dumb. Get some chep ammo and have fun. OR...buy the most expensive ammo you can find and go broke.

Edited by TnEngineer
subject
I shoot the cheapest Federal bulk pack I can find in all my 22s. For the life of me, I can not figure out why in the hell people want to spend big bucks on CCI and other ammo for a 22!!

It's a 22 dammit....THE reason for shooting one is economy.

Repeat again after me....THE reason for shooting one is economy.

It's the economy, stupid!

Wow.

edited: Oh yeah, the subject. I shoot the cheapest 22 I can find thru my Walther P22. Why the hell you would want to shoot anything expensive is a total mystery to me. The pistol will work fine with the cheapest ammo. Some of these guns [mine] have to have a polishing of the feed ramp and an edge-break of the chamber to get them to run OK. Mine runs great. All this hype about hyper velocity, kudo-velocity, big-ass velocity is yet another mystery to me.

I must be dumb. Get some chep ammo and have fun. OR...buy the most expensive ammo you can find and go broke.

Wow is right.

Guest coldblackwind

My buddy has a P22, it loves thunderbolts actually, wally world did have the 333 rounds packs for like $10 last I checked (admittedly a few months ago, it may have gone up). Winchesters it won't feed at all, federal is hit or miss, thunderbolts run great through it, and who wants to spend more than that on .22's? That's kinda the point of getting a .22 in the first place.

My wife's P22 has eaten Winchester Power Points well. Just 2 FTF's in over 200 rounds. The gun also likes Stingers although she has only shot 20 of those. I liked her little gun so well I bought one for myself. Have not fired it yet but will remedy that this weekend with several types of ammo. My gut feeling is that these guns (newer versions) will eat most anything.

Guest Lester Weevils
Some of these guns [mine] have to have a polishing of the feed ramp and an edge-break of the chamber to get them to run OK. Mine runs great. All this hype about hyper velocity, kudo-velocity, big-ass velocity is yet another mystery to me.

Hi TnEngineer

Do you happen to know of a good how-to link that explains how to do this without taking it too far and messing up the gun? I'm always over-doing things. Tightening bolts till they snap off, etc.

edited: Oh yeah, the subject. I shoot the cheapest 22 I can find thru my Walther P22. Why the hell you would want to shoot anything expensive is a total mystery to me. The pistol will work fine with the cheapest ammo.

My P-22 FTF'd a lot with the Federal 550 bulk pack from Wally World when I first got it. I switched to CCI MiniMags and it's been perfect. I need to try the bulk stuff again. IIRC, the P-22 Bible suggests that as the main spring gets loosened up from use, it will become more forgiving of lower powered rounds. With the P-22, inconsistency from one gun to the next seems to be pretty common based on what I've read across several forums. One will take anything you give it while another needs some caviar, a limo ride, and mood music to make it work.

Hi TnEngineer

Do you happen to know of a good how-to link that explains how to do this without taking it too far and messing up the gun? I'm always over-doing things. Tightening bolts till they snap off, etc.

See my previous post. That link is to my server and it's a pdf of the P22 Bible

I have also had some mags that didn't work well when loading the first round.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I have also have only ever used the CCI Mini Mags in mine but that is because they were all that were available when I first bought .22 rounds. They worked well so I never have changed. I did fire several hundred of some Aquilla thru it with no problems also.

Recently a friend gave me 5-6 hundred CCI's that were his dads and are very old. They are still in the sealed plastic containers (with red labels) so I am thinking they will work just fine.....No great loss if they dont though. The thing is they are so old that the price sticker on a box of 100 is $1.99, I have no idea just how old they must be.

Edited by Sgt. Joe