Head Shots

Guest ADAM

I was just wondering how many of you take head shots on deer or other big game. The reason I'm asking is that me and my brother in law were talking about hunting last night, and I asked him if he was going to shoot everything in the head this year again. He shoots all his game in the head no matter if its bow hunting or rifle, he is not a trophy hunter he hunts strictly for meat, although he has got some massive deer with nice racks. His justification for doing this is that they dont run after a head shot. To me its just gross i can handle guts, hearts,and lungs but the smell of brain matter makes me vomit.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head shots are low percentage shots. Animals are always moving their heads and it only takes a small movement to cause a miss on a small target. I have killed with head shots, but I learned a hard lesson about head shots.I used to say, "head shots are great, you either hit and kill them or you miss and they run off unharmed" until I was hunting hogs in Florida and decided to take a head shot on a boar that was about 200 lbs. Just as I squeezed the trigger he raised his head and I ended up shooting him in the jaw. I didn't find the hog and I am sure he died a miserable death. I was only off my target by a couple inches. I take head shots on squirrels when using a .22, but that is it.

I am a fan of neck shots on hogs, above all other kill zones. I have also killed deer with neck shots. I do think that the situation has to be right to attempt neck shots on deer too.

I don't take head shots because they are very low precentage shots. I have had to "euthenize" too many deer that only had 1/2 of their face (from the eyes forward was blown off) left after someone took a head shot or running shot on a deer. I like the shoulder....period!

I am with you on this one WD the shoulder or most the time right behind it. Once though I had a doe walking straight at me, she stopped and dropped her to eat and when she raised her head back up shot her right through the eye. Was a heck of a sight seeing her roll straight back over, all four legs go straight up in the air and then flop to one side. DRT

I agree with all of you, I think the vitals are the best shot it just blows my mind that in the 15 years I have known him every shot he takes is to the head, and odd enough he has never just wounded one they all have dropped on the spot. The only animals that I head shoot are them damn yotes I hope they suffer.

Vitals and if it's not a clear shot they walk..

I think there is enough bad press for hunters without deer running around because of bad head shot,

Seems that every deer that survives ends up getting posted on YouTube