which would make less noise

loadedp3at

I need a little advice. I ride horses and so I am looking for a full size that does not make a lot of noise. I have an old 38 special that I can shoot slow bullets from. However I was thinking about a full size 32 acp. I have a small one and would be able to use the same ammo. I also have a 380 acp but I think the 380 is a loud round. Maybe that is because I have only shot the small ones. So, do you use the old 38 or can I even find a larger 32? I know the 38 is stronger but I am looking at noise. It does me no good if I can only get one shot off before the horse goes out from under me. What do you think?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you acclimate a horse to the sound of gunfire? I would think that even a small gun would disturb the horse.

Absolutely. I used to help round up cows on a ranch in Parkman, WY a couple times a year and several of these cowboys used bull whips. To get the horse used to it, they would shoot .22LR pistols around the barn lot for a few hours, then in the lot, then in the corral. On to shooting while standing by the horse, then while mounted. Really only took a couple of days. They get used to it. A buddy of mine uses the same idea for training his horses for shooting cowboy mounted shooting events.

Just like everything else. They get used to it slowly, then gradually ignore it.

• Moderators
Absolutely. I used to help round up cows on a ranch in Parkman, WY a couple times a year and several of these cowboys used bull whips. To get the horse used to it, they would shoot .22LR pistols around the barn lot for a few hours, then in the lot, then in the corral. On to shooting while standing by the horse, then while mounted. Really only took a couple of days. They get used to it. A buddy of mine uses the same idea for training his horses for shooting cowboy mounted shooting events.

Just like everything else. They get used to it slowly, then gradually ignore it.

That's what I thought. I figured that would be the best option so as to not end up all Christopher Reeve'd in a wheelchair.

I'm working on the horse part but I still think unless you have horse earmuffs it would hurt their ears. I'm just wondering if the 32 acp from a longer barrell would be louder than a low power 38. I plan to use the firearm to put distance between the problem, not stay and have an old fashioned shoot ourt.

Guest clownsdd

Used to bird (quail) hunt from the back of a horse. No problems, even with a 12 ga going off between their ears. Dogs would jump at the shot to retrieve, then look at me wanting to know why I missed, but the horse knew what he was supposed to do. It's all in the training.