Are Fragibles any good at all for Self Defense?

I've been reading about frangibles lately and I'm curious about them and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. They are obviously designed to release all their energy on impact with no penetration, but I was trying to figure out if they had any place as self defense ammunition.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bonedaddy

I carry 85 gr. 9mm frangibles made by Dynamic Research Technology in my Stoeger. They will shoot through 1" of OSB backed with some corrugated tin @ 10yds. They'll also blow a watermelon plum to hell! with big pieces blown several feet away from where it sat on the ground. I carry them because they will kill you if needed but won't shoot through several walls of your house possibly killing someone else like your typical 9mm will do. But I usually carry some FMJ in the spare, just in case I need to shoot plum through your car to hit you on the other side. Something a .45 won't do.

I have zero faith in frangibles. Show me actual ballistic data/autopsy reports, etc.... not gimmicks with watermelons and drywall. Not to mention the ridiculous price of it. Give me a break.

Guest Bonedaddy

Yea, it is a little more expensive. 'Bout twice the price but I figure it's a lot less cost than a dead innocent. Especially if that innocent is in my house. I could care less if someonehas no faith in it. I did my own test and I'm content to carry it. I see no need for overkill. I can see a threat being stopped by something that goes off on ya like a delayed buckshot round better than something that will most likely shoot through you possibly leaving you just more pissed off than before. Test it yourself with a armadillo shell wrapped around a melon and decide for yourself. Hell, anything with enough force will kill you. I remember my grand father and uncle telling of military test than stated a .45 blank round at point blank range would kill ya. The same with 12 gauge wadding at point blank.

Guest Bonedaddy

Oh yea, they feed just fine through my Stoeger but it'll eat anything, anyway. I looked for some more of'm at Gander Mt. today but to no avail. (wish I had some place else to shop with enough selection) They used to have'm for $20 per 50.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

The point of these rounds is to 1) avoid over-penetration and exit from your target and 2) create multiple wound channels. Over the years I've seen several tests of these rounds. The display below average penetration in bare ballistic gelatin. When shot through denim-covered gelatin, the penetration is extremely shallow and would not reach vital organs or create a fatal wound.

The point of these rounds is to 1) avoid over-penetration and exit from your target and 2) create multiple wound channels. Over the years I've seen several tests of these rounds. The display below average penetration in bare ballistic gelatin. When shot through denim-covered gelatin, the penetration is extremely shallow and would not reach vital organs or create a fatal wound.

That's what I've seen as well. God forbid trying to shoot through a leather jacket or multiple layers.

Guest Bonedaddy
I'll have to do me some more test, I guess, because I just shot 2 rounds through 3" of 2x6's and into a tree but that is through a hard substrate. Kinda like a skull or breastbone. I don't know what rounds are being tested that you saw but I'm pretty sure mine will get the job done. Think I'll soak a fat book in water then cover it in some old jeans next time just to see if that is more deterrent than 3 plus inches of wood.