For those that think TN gun laws aren't complicated

If you have ever looked up...

T.C.A. 39-17-1306 Carrying weapons during judicial proceedings. or

T.C.A. 39-17-1311 Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds.

You see that instead of saying you can't carry a handgun or firearm they say you can't carry a list of prohibited weapons in T.C.A. 39-17-1302(a) of which a handgun or normal long gun is not one. Where as T.C.A. 39-17-1305 and T.C.A. 39-17-1309 both specifically say handguns and/or firearms instead of refering to 39-17-1302(a)

But, according to TN AG opinion 07-148 questions 1 & 3 a person with a HCP may not go armed in the places listed in 39-17-1306 and 39-17-1311.

But...if you look at TN AG opinon 01-020 Footnote 1 on page 2 it makes a distinction between weapons in 39-17-1302 and firearms including a handgun, shotgun and rifle in 39-17-1307.

Of course the biggest difference between 07-148 and 01-020 is that they were issued by two different AG's.

Just another reason I think the laws need a complete overhaul.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen discussions on this and other message boards about the confusing state of Tenn. laws on where we can and cannot carry. Its almost like they are written vaguely on purpose. Until they put forth the effort to clean up this state of confusiion I will err on the side of compliance that will keep me out of trouble (and legal expenses) and not jeapordize my right to carry my handgun to most of the places I go. I wish there was a better answer than that but for now, that's how I see it.

Must have took you awhile to look up all those links Fallguy. Good work.

Guest GlockFD

I just saw on the news here in Memphis tonight that they had a whole story on the law that is being voted on soon about CCW permit holders to carry in estabilishments that serve alcohol as long as they are not consuming the it. I guess that is a step in the right direction if it goes through.

I think "part" of the problem is that some laws were on the books before HCP's were issued and have never been amended to reflect the current situation.

I do agree that any true and substantial changes will be very difficult as long as Naifeh is the speaker of the house, but don't let that stop you from communicating with your elected officals and letting them know how you feel.

Thanks waynesan.

GlockFD I agree that SB0023 passing is a good step, but the companion bill HB0702 will have a much harder time in the house, see above. But at least the legislature may be more receptive to change in the future.

Thank you all for bearing with me on my little rant...lol :)

I've seen discussions on this and other message boards about the confusing state of Tenn. laws on where we can and cannot carry. Its almost like they are written vaguely on purpose. Until they put forth the effort to clean up this state of confusiion I will err on the side of compliance that will keep me out of trouble (and legal expenses) and not jeapordize my right to carry my handgun to most of the places I go. I wish there was a better answer than that but for now, that's how I see it.

Must have took you awhile to look up all those links Fallguy. Good work.

+1,I agree.

here in chattanooga,a councl member (Marty Rutherford )whom did not reside in the district she represented was on the councl for about a year.long story short:she was found out,complaint filed,she quit,a couple months later the fine mayor we have rehired her so she would not loose retirement benifits(she was 2 months from retiring)she was fired again,she sued the city and lost,now the councl is considering a suit against her for her entire wages(a years worth)

just another example of too many idiots electing to many incompentents!

I love politicians

Someone here on the forum had the answer to the problem of "Nazi Naifeh". Hire his wife as a lobbyist. Tennessee has the best politics money can buy.

That was me! :D

Case Study Example - Last year when ATT begun their effort to get into the cable market - - - COMCAST hired Mrs Naifeh as their sole lobbyist. :rolleyes:

The ATT bill never went anywhere in the house. :eek: