New AR Upper ... Middy or Carbine?

Smith

MIddy or carbine AR  

13 members have voted

1. 1. MIddy or carbine AR

• Carbine
    • Middy

Getting a new AR upper and I can't decide between a middy or a carbine length. I know from my past middy's that accessories (ie Rails etc) can be a little more difficult to come by but that a middy is a little more reliable. What you think?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you using it for?

A mid-length AR isn't going to be noticably more reliable... it might cycle slower because the dwell is closer to that of the intended rifle-length gas tube, and that does make things run smoother. But really, I'd get a carbine and just run a heavy buffer.

Guest Armgdnman

Carbine.

Put a put a mid-length quad rail on it. I have seen some really good deals on Troy free float rails on eBay in any length. Same amount of real estate and still have the shorter barrel.

A mid-length has a longer gas tube than a carbine, but shorter than a rifle...hence the term "mid-length". It still uses a 16" barrel instead of a 20" on a rifle. Both are going to be reliable, the differences are that the recoil will be smoother as the gas has a longer travel time to the bolt and forend will be longer giving you more room to mount goodies. It looks a lot better than a carbine in my opinon.

I love mid-lengths myself as I think the carbine gas system is a little violent, carbine's look funny b/c the barrel sticks out so far past the handguard, and the carbine handguard limits room for bipods and grips together.