Third and final range report for the Para Warthog.

Mykltn

Ok, it has been a tough couple of months trying to break in this beautiful pistol. I wanted so much to love this gun and give it the chance to love me back. But like a scorn suiter, I am left broken hearted and pennyless. She just did not want to love me back.

The third set of 100 rounds for the prescribed breaking period was better than the first two visits but in the end there were far too many failures to feed. Remmington, UMC, and Winchester ammo all suffered the same problems. As a last attempt to make it work, I cleaned and oiled it well and took it to the range one last time. I was 30 rounds in to the box of 100 thinking "It may just work!" No jams and hitting everything I was aiming at. Then on the 4th mag full of hollow points it happened. The 3rd round jammed! Ok, maybe this is just a limp wrist on my part. 5th mag jammed, 8th mag jammed and 2 jamms on the 10th and final mag of ammo. She officially SUCKS!

Ok, now for the happy ending. Just as the best way to get over a girl who's broken your heart is to get a new girl. The best way to get over a bad gun is to get a good gun. Say hello to my new little friend.

new.jpg

She is an American Tactical Import and I love her! I know what you're thinking, rebound love right? Well, she has been to the range and I fed her 50 flawless rounds of winchester ball ammo and she hit the mark each and every time. This is of course a stock photo as she is still dirty. The boys at guns and leather made me a good trade for the Warthog and I got money back too boot.

My official range report for this pistol is that it works just like a quality 1911 should. It's a rock solid chunk of stainless steel that is a dream to shoot. I feel so free I want to sing.

Ding Dong the Witch is dead, The wicked Witch is dead!

Edited by Mykltn
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needless to say I have not heard good things about the Warthogs,one fella I know has one but its very tempermental towards the hold a person has on it.On the other hand Congrats on picking up a good replacement.

I noticed the same thing. If I kept a death grip on it, it shot well. Must be something in the recoil spring. Don't know but now it's someone else's problem. Buyer beware!

Same thing here when I had a Warthog.

I had to have a deathgrip on it for it to function. I learned to do it but nobody else could shoot it without it having one mean 3 point jam. I didn't want that to ever happen if I had to used it in self defense. I loved the idea of the pistol, 1911 design and holding 10 rounds but, I couldn't say I would always have a death grip on it in a quick self defense situation.

I bought one myself awhile back but after reading several stories like yours, I traded it w/o ever firing it. One guy mentioned sending his back to Para over 5 months ago and couldn't reach them by phone to check status. Better safe than sorry I always say so I traded it at a slight loss for a Kimber Crimson Trace.

Great link. Very informative. This would explain why the new pistol feeds better since it has a heavier slide. I always prefered heavier guns anyway. That way when you run out of ammo, you can always drop it on the bad guys toe to distract him while you go for your bug.

Para USA is currently in the process of restructuring the company. The last few years, during the move from Canada to North Carolina, Para has gotten a little bit of a bad reputation with both QC and CS. If you check out some of the 1911centric forums you'll read about a lot of problems with recent Para guns. Hopefully after the restructuring Para will be good to go again. I'd like to have a double stack 1911 and Para's price is right, but I'll be waiting a while before buying any Para guns.

Para USA is currently in the process of restructuring the company. The last few years, during the move from Canada to North Carolina, Para has gotten a little bit of a bad reputation with both QC and CS. If you check out some of the 1911centric forums you'll read about a lot of problems with recent Para guns. Hopefully after the restructuring Para will be good to go again. I'd like to have a double stack 1911 and Para's price is right, but I'll be waiting a while before buying any Para guns.

Well hopefully they get better cause the pistol I had sucked bad. Never even got to carry it as I didn't trust it to go bang when I need it. I just kept carrying my RIA compact. Hope the ATI is as reliable as the RIA.

I tweaked a Warthog for a freind of mine's son who went to Iraq back in 2003. It was choking badly. I brought my 400 wet-dry and Semi-Chrome polish to work one day and during lunch, I polished the feed ramp and broke the sharp edges of the chamber. A week later, he told me they put 200 rounds thru it without a glitch.

Amazing what a little polishing will do. Simply amazing.

I tweaked a Warthog for a freind of mine's son who went to Iraq back in 2003. It was choking badly. I brought my 400 wet-dry and Semi-Chrome polish to work one day and during lunch, I polished the feed ramp and broke the sharp edges of the chamber. A week later, he told me they put 200 rounds thru it without a glitch.

Amazing what a little polishing will do. Simply amazing.

Where were you last month when I needed you bro? LOL