Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22. Anyone have experience with this weapon?

Guest johnsuttontn

Guest johnsuttontn

I have an opportunity to trade for one of these. I was just checkin to see if anyone on here has or has had one and could tell be the durability and overall opinion about it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman

I've got one on order right now. I ordered one of the newer ones with the threaded barrel. I just don't think they look right without the flash suppressor, whether its practical or not. I did a little research before making the commitment, but out of the other .22 options on the market, I felt this one would benefit me best, seems practical to train with and gets good reviews from most folks. The only durability issue I read about was regarding the feed ramp breaking off on some of them. I recall most of those posts being made around 2008, and doesn't really seem to be an issue in any recent reviews. Gunblast did a good review on it here Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, AR-15 Style .22 Long Rifle Semi-Automatic Carbine and didn't experience any problems. I've not read any complaints about the durability of the polymer receiver or upper. I'll get a post in shortly when I get some rounds through mine.

I bought mine from a member here. I love it it is alot of fun. I have put about 200 rounds through it with no problems at all. And I dont know how many was put through it before me.

I bought one early in the summer and finished my 4th brick of ammo this weekend. My daughter, son, neighbor, curious onlookers at the range, and I have enjoyed all 2,200 rounds. Plus, they take every accessory that fits on an AR-15.

great, accurate little carbine. But I'll tell you from experience not to shoot winchester bulk packs in any .22 firearm. What I assume to be a double load blew the extractor off my 15-22 a few weeks ago.

I'll second that! I was using winchester dynapoint GT and my first trip to the range after 200 rounds I have to ship it back for repairs. But it was fun to fire and I'm looking forward to getting it back.

Guest the_accuser

They are fun little plinkers. Here's a pic of mine. I dressed mine up with a little Magpul goodness and one of the cheap Primary Arms micro red dot scopes. Most of the time mine will chew through the Federal bulk pack you get at Walmart without any issues. I want to try some of the new CCI AR Tactical rimfire rounds.

mp15-221.jpg

mp15-222.jpg

Guest johnsuttontn

Thank you all very much. Very good info. The accusers gun is smokin. Thats a nice weapon. Thank you all very much. I was just deciding to spen monry on a training ar or just buy a conversion. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Guest the_accuser

Thanks John! I thought about a conversion too but I figured shooting .22LR would possibly send a bunch of crap into my lower especially when I add a suppressor so I decided to get the MP15-22. I know when I shoot my walther p22 suppressed it is always full of crap after and really takes a good bit of cleaning. I really didn't want that with my AR lowers. Hopefully others with conversions can chime in and let us know their opinion.

I had one, sold it to a member here, I loved it, but hated having that much wrapped up in a .22, that and the fact i have 5 .22's laying around. It inst as customizable per say as a 10/22...but there are alot of cool parts since it is based on a mil spec carbine. mine was accurate to aim, but no target rifle. it would shoot a good group and it ate everything i fed it though i did have a few mag snags. they dont recommend using Remington golden bullets but i know people who shoot them just fine...but could damage your extractor. just because I loved the way mine looked with the barrel shroud, extra butt pad, and riser I'll post a picture up...though i am a pic whore and everyone has seen it multiple times!

P1030641.jpg

My friend next door has one and loves it. It was a early one and did have a extractor problem . It did have the problem dicharge of a round and was sent back to Smith for repairs . He did find others that had the same type problem in the early rifles .I am not sure about the ammo he was using or how it has done after repairs . It is my understanding that something has been updated in later production rifles. I will try and ask later today and post any info.

I sort of feel that a gun costing that much in a .22 long rifle should be tough enough to shoot anything you could throw at it. I have shot it before repairs but sort of scared of it after the problem. I am only concerned because I shoot left handed .

I had thought about buying one untill the problem occured. I also realize that sometimes things show up in the real world that didn't happen during testing . To this I can say Smith is standing behind the product and working with customers .

Guest johnsuttontn

I again thank you all. It is a chunk of money for a .22. I dont have 700.00 in any one of my Glocks or Xd. I just am still not sure. wheather to convert or just spend they 700 on a .22.

I didnt pay that for my new AR lower. I'm slowly building it so I can do it they way I want to. Not they way my money allows. I think I will trade my mossberg 500 for a 15-22. I guess I could always get my money back.

I again thank you all. It is a chunk of money for a .22. I dont have 700.00 in any one of my Glocks or Xd. I just am still not sure. wheather to convert or just spend they 700 on a .22.

I didnt pay that for my new AR lower. I'm slowly building it so I can do it they way I want to. Not they way my money allows. I think I will trade my mossberg 500 for a 15-22. I guess I could always get my money back.

Are you saying that the 15-22 you are being offered is $700???? I paid $430 out the door for mine.

Guest Plainsman
Are you saying that the 15-22 you are being offered is $700???? I paid $430 out the door for mine.

+1. I just picked mine up yesterday for $440. Please don't pay anyone $700!

• 2 weeks later...