First year to hunt Whitetail EVER! I'm STOKED!

Guest BRad704

I found out this weekend that I am good-to-go for deer season with a friend who's dad has land in Fayette Co... I will have all my appropriate permits and signed consent forms and such, I just need to get more range time with my rifle, and buy a climbing stand (so he told me)... I've aquired all the camo and blaze orange I need, and really only plan on buying some better socks, permit, and scent blocker spray... maybe a waist-pack for water/ammo/papers, etc...

I like the Gorilla Greyback, but at $150+tax, its on the high end of what I can afford...

Rifle will be my SKS, in number matching condition, except for the super-uber-tight receiver cover mounted scope... I need to get it zero'd, clean it, then check to make sure it holds close to zero. Then I will zero it again and leave it alone until I can do some cold-bore testing... I know its a 150yd gun, but I dont have 150yd eyes anymore, especially my dominant right eye. :D

Anyway.... this thread is just to say that I am SO PUMPED for this winter!!!!!!!!

That is all.

-Brad-

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the FMJ's are just to practice with on trigger control... I have 2 boxes of 154gr Wolf SP's that I will do my final practicing with, and will use to hunt this year...

Grandson and grand-daughter killed their first deer with that exact same round, Wolf 154 grain sp, in my Russian Tula SKS.

Both deer didn't run 40 yards after the shot, basically DRT.

Good luck, Brad, and be sure you use a safety harness, if you use that climbing stand, bro.

Oh yea, practise climbing with it too...before opening day arrives. fwiw

Thanks everybody, and I bought a stand today at lunch... off Craigslist.. :D I already have a full body miller that I will wear under my outer layer and just poke the back-ring out for my lanyard. Got all that covered.

I only paid $45 for it... I KNOW its rough, and old, and basic, but it will get the same job done as the ones 3x-5x its price! i am gonna get some padding for the seat, adjustable footstraps, and paint it camo with green, dark green and brown... Should end up with about $65 total in it.

2010-09-14%2013.56.54_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

I hunted out of those old baker style stands for years. Make sure you run a rope between the top and the bottom sections. It is easy to drop the bottom and be sitting way up a tree with no way to get down. I also would recommend putting some pull tight straps on the stand where it bites into the tree. You basically strap the stand to the tree when you get into position. This will keep you from accidentally knocking the top or bottom loose. Most new stands of this design come with them these day.

Funny you should mention those straps... I bought some yesterday and am trying to figure out exactly how I will mount them. I am thinking about putting an eye bolt at the top of each rear blade, and fishing the strap through there. That way I can never lose them, and they will wrap around the tree and be adjustable.

I played with some "shrub camo" too ;) but that is one of the straps on the floor. My next question is how to manage fall protection. I have a Miller harness with rear D ring, and a 6' lanyard (still new) and I guess I will just wrap a length of rope around the tree and use a sliding knot to get that tight, and an overhand loop on the loose end to clip my lanyard to... Does that make sense?

2010-09-15%2007.21.07.jpg

Congrats! I wish I had access to land for me to hunt on this year. Make SURE you get a safety harness for your tree stand and use it. I would practice going up and down trees in your backyard (with the harness) before you go looking for a spot in the woods so you get familiar with it. Also, dont forget to wear your harness. :pleased:

Yeah, helmet... about that... How about I take my older mountain biking helmet and paint it camo? ;)

I will defininetly be practicing a lot before the season starts. And i could have finished the camo last night but ran out of the dark bronze. I will get some flat brown today to finish it up over the weekend. still thinking about exactly what seat pad to use/make and other stuff I can add to make it more user-friendly. Overkill is what I do best

Cool. An SKS was my first deer rifle too. I think alot of people start out with it. You will either love deer hunting and allow it to consume you or you will hate it completely. Good luck either way. I think you will like it. There is no feeling like when a deer walks out on a cool morning and you put a good shot on it and harvest it. It is a magical feeling.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pws_smokeyjones

Brad704 - you think you are excited now, just wait until that big bruiser suddenly appears out of nowhere and your body starts vibrating like a run-a-way jackhammer. THEN it gets exciting!