Texas carry

Guest db99wj

I'm also heading to Houston for a training class next week. Interesting info here.

I was on the west side of town in the Westchase area. Didn't see many cops and had no problems. All the restaurants had the same exact signage. Very uneventful, watch your speed.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the west side of town in the Westchase area. Didn't see many cops and had no problems. All the restaurants had the same exact signage. Very uneventful, watch your speed.

I'm flying in so no guns for me. Staying downtown, near the convention ctr. Find any good food?

I'm flying in so no guns for me. Staying downtown, near the convention ctr. Find any good food?

Seems to be easy to fly and take your gun these days, I've never tried it. Due to the nature of the class, I didn't get out to eat much, just ones that were close to my hotel and quick. I did eat one day at a Taco Cabana chain quick serve place (It is where I took the pic above). It was very good, seemed pretty authentic. There were Mexican places everywhere. I would like to go back, under different circumstances and try some out. I love to try new places to eat, but like I said, the class and my time was a priority so something in and out was the best thing to do.

I drove by the convention center, man that thing is big!

Seems to be easy to fly and take your gun these days, I've never tried it. Due to the nature of the class, I didn't get out to eat much, just ones that were close to my hotel and quick. I did eat one day at a Taco Cabana chain quick serve place (It is where I took the pic above). It was very good, seemed pretty authentic. There were Mexican places everywhere. I would like to go back, under different circumstances and try some out. I love to try new places to eat, but like I said, the class and my time was a priority so something in and out was the best thing to do.

I drove by the convention center, man that thing is big!

I like Tex-Mex food and I've heard its excellent there. I also intend to try this place as well... Goode Company | Goode Company Bar-B-Q mmmmm.... bbq :)

Flying is no reason not to take a carry gun with you if you want.

Unfortunately my employer might think differently. And I prefer to remain employed. :tinfoil:

I never felt like I was in a bad place in the areas I was in, however, the nightly news reminded me of home, with all the shootings, bank robberies (like 3-5 a day for several days straight, shots fired too), other robberies, rapes, etc. It is a big city. I would bet the convention center area/Minute Maid Park stadium area would be pretty safe. (As much as any metro downtown area can be ;))

Unfortunately my employer might think differently. And I prefer to remain employed. ;)

Oh, thought you meant weren't taking it just because you are flying the way you said that. Didn't know if you knew you could check a firearm in your luggage.

Have a safe trip....

I used to live in TX and had a carry permit. What's been said is correct.

Texas law allows permit holders to carry CONCEALED, never openly (actually long guns can be carried openly, but since it isn't common I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone carrying a rifle down a city street charged with the catch-all "disorderly conduct"). If a gun is ACCIDENTALLY flashed (say your jacket opens a bit as you reach for your wallet), you are OK, you have a legal defense that exposure was unintentional.

The 51% rule makes a lot of sense. Carry is illegal, even for permit holders, in establishments that make more than 51% of their money from alcohol sales. Such establishments must PROMINENTLY post a sign that has "51%" in HUGE letters. This keeps guns out of places like topless bars where people go for the purpose of getting tipsy/drunk, but keeps guns legal in restaurants that happen to serve alcohol.

An establishment CAN prohibit guns by posting a sign. The sign must be posted prominently at the entrance, using 1" letters saying in English and Spanish that concealed weapons are prohibited. There is an exact phrase which must be followed. I don't recall the phrase, but I remember that it must reference section 30.06 of the Texas penal code. (30.06 is easy to recall) If any of those requirements aren't met, then the sign carries no legal weight. Of course, the store owner can ask you to leave if he doesn't want you carrying, or for any other reason he wants you out. If you do not leave when ordered, you can be charged with criminal trespass, but not with a gun violation.

If you are stopped by the police when carrying you MUST present your permit WHEN asked for your driver's license. Failure to do so is illegal and will result in revocation of the license in addition to other charges. The best thing to do is say "I have a permit, my handgun is located_____" and await the officer's instructions. The cop CAN take your gun for his safety while dealing with you, but it is then returned upon completion of the traffic stop.

I've been pulled over by state troopers while carrying and never had a problem. In fact, I didn't have to surrender my gun, and the cop didn't issue a citation. A San Antonio cop once told me that simply having a permit was a good idea--it is a certificate you present saying "I've had a recent background check, and I have no criminal background"

If you are stopped by the police when carrying you MUST present your permit WHEN asked for your driver's license. Failure to do so is illegal and will result in revocation of the license in addition to other charges.

Yep.....that is an interesting thing I've found in some states. They are not "must inform" in the sense that you have tell the LEO right off the bat, but rather if you are asked for any form of ID (like your DL) then you must inform and present your carry permit at the same time.