Texas carry

Guest db99wj

I understand where and where not but is it only conceal carry?

I'm not going to open carry, but how careful do I need to be on printing...like under a T-shirt, or if I accidentally expose?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have carried in TX several times with no issues....however....

This from handgunlaw.us

Note: From the Texas DPS FAQ’s

Q: What does "concealed" mean?

A: "Concealed" means that the weapon cannot be visible, and that its presence cannot be discernible through ordinary observation. It is a criminal offense for a license holder to carry a handgun in plain view, or to intentionally fail to conceal the weapon.

So it would seem that if someone can tell you have a firearm through "ordinary observation" it is no longer considered concealed and therefore no longer being carried legally. Although the second half does say "intentional".

Also remember TX is a Must Inform state.

I have carried in TX several times with no issues....however....

This from handgunlaw.us

So it would seem that if someone can tell you have a firearm through "ordinary observation" it is no longer considered concealed and therefore no longer being carried legally.

Also remember TX is a Must Inform state.

Thanks. Did not see that question.

I saw the must inform part. The stretch between Texarkana and Houston goes from 70 to 60, to 55, to 45, to even a few 35 mph zones eleventybillion times! I bet the budgets are made along that stretch!

I saw the must inform part. The stretch between Texarkana and Houston goes from 70 to 60, to 55, to 45, to even a few 35 mph zones eleventybillion times! I bet the budgets are made along that stretch!

LOL...yep, have taken Hwy 59 Texarkana to Houston a couple of times. Never been stopped, but just when you think you are making time, you hit another town.

Suspected, but u know what assuming does...

does the establishment have to notify you?

Yes...

Texas Penal Code GC §411.204. NOTICE REQUIRED ON CERTAIN PREMISES.

(a) A business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, and that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the business premises a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection ©.

(:D A hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the hospital or nursing home, as appropriate, a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection © other than the requirement that the sign include on its face the number "51".

© The sign required under Subsections (a) and (:confused: must give notice in both English and Spanish that it is unlawful for a person licensed under this subchapter to carry a handgun on the premises. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height and must include on its face the number "51" printed in solid red at least five inches in height. The sign shall be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(d) A business that has a permit or license issued under the Alcoholic Beverage Code and that is not required to display a sign under this section may be required to display a sign under Section 11.041 or 61.11, Alcoholic Beverage Code.

(e) This section does not apply to a business that has a food and beverage certificate issued under the Alcoholic Beverage Code.

There are these signs in Texas in real 'bars' that are required by the state. These establishment make less than half their money off food. I have seen the signs and they are pretty prominent down there.

You cannot be intoxicated when carrying a handgun in Texas. I believe intoxication down there is defined as .08 or .10, basically driving. You can drink in an establishment that serves down there (not a bar though) while carrying, as long as you are not 'intoxicated'.

You cannot carry at a sporting event (very important for visitors who go see the Astros, Cowboys, Rangers, horse races). You cannot carry on school property, EXCEPT the parking lots, driveways, sidwalks at schools are not considered school property...so you can walk on a sidwalk/parking lot or whatever at a school while carrying your pistol.

Oh they have these 30.06 signs down there. They have to be exactly worded and exactly sized. I'm pretty sure the sign has to be in English and Spanish (don't quote me). It's rare to find one that is exact. I've never seen one. 'No guns' all that other silliness doesn't work.

You can carry in state/local government buildings in Texas for the most part except detention facilities, meetings of the legislature. Any sign at a state/local building is invalid unless say at a jail/prison. Local/state govts can't deny those with licenses to carry guns on property. If you were to go to the state capitol in Austin, the capitol police let you in with your gun, and can't deny you entry. Same thing with local/state parks/game refuges.

Yes, you do have to conceal. I've never had a problem. About the only way you can 'open carry' handguns down there is when hunting, fishing, target shooting, or on your own property/business.

If you'd like to bring your long gun fully loaded, feel free to do so. You may openly or conceal carry your long gun in Texas however you please. There is no such thing as requiring a license for that. When passing through Arkansas, you can have your long gun fully loaded too. None of that Tennessee mag halfway empty chamber junk.

Have a safe trip.

I'm in for a class, a high level education class for my career, with a must pass test at the end, so I won't be going out or anything. Will be eating though...some. So the whole drinking/%food probably won't be an issue, maybe after the test!! Biggest concern was accidentally printing. A plus to the class is it is casual, so shorts and tshirt, 8 hours a day in class, need to be comfy! I actually carried it my tacticool maxpedition backpack with holster in the "camelback" pouch today.

Guest Halfpint

Wish I had seen this thread sooner . . . pretty much everything said is dead-on, but even someone who lives there part-time can learn something -- I had forgotten about the sporting events thing. Heading to Dallas next weekend myself, and looking at moving back for work if I can ever find a decent pipelining job to get my foot in the door for something more permanent.

And yeah, 59 is basically one long speed-trap. Watch out for Marshall, Carthage, and Diboll specifically.

I'm assuming you're in Houston from the mention of 59 . . . what part? /threadjack

The part with the split one-way roads, with tollways in the middle and other insterstate type roads intersecting, and secondary roads crossing in all directions.....well I guess that could describe all of Houston! This place is confusing. My GPS is saving my butt. I ordered a Pizza from Pizza Hut and the driver called me and asked ME for directions to my hotel! True story!

I'm on the west side, in the Westchase area, near Westpark Tollway and W Sam Houston Tollway.

I've donated a few dollars to the local economy in Texas.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DMasterson

Printing in Texas isn't as bad as it's being made out to be here.

If you've got it concealed (which you have to in Texas; no open carry) and your shirt pulls up for a second in the normal course of your activities, you don't have a problem. If you are pull your shirt up to display the firearm in a situation where you are not in danger or fear of imminent harm, that's what that law addresses. Intentionally brandishing your weapon when you don't have justification to use the force implied by displaying it is what gets you in trouble.

A Texas State Trooper I used to work with said they were told 'concealed' doesn't mean 'undetectable' so long as you aren't making an intentional uncovering of your weapon. Printing on a Wally-Walk while leaning to your left doesn't count.