HCP Course Today W/ Glock 17

xRUSTYx

Hey Guys!

The fiance and I just took our HCP course today, and I wanted to find out what you guys might think about this.

We currently own (2) P238's. I've shot those as well as a full size 1911 .45 just fine. My grip has never caused any issues.

Today, wanted to try out a 9mm ... So I was given a Glock 17. First time with a Glock, First time with a 9mm. Every other round would fail to go in to battery. The instructor fired 3 consecutively without issue. Once I was back on it, for the next 30 or so rounds, the same thing happened. Not until I fired a bit more rapidly, did it stop. Once I slowed down, it started to happen again.

My shooting was pretty good ... grouping's were decent.

Anyways ... Talking to the instructor, he thought it was my grip. Gave me some good pointers, gave them a shot, and it still didn't help. The only thing that helped was the rapid fire.

Knowing the rapport that Glock has for great guns, its got to be me. I just fail to understand why I wouldn't have issues with smaller micro pistols or full size 1911's ... Just this one glock.

Any pointers, or others have a similar issue where their grip and a certain gun just didn't work out?

Appreciate it !!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like I've read somewhere that's there's about a 10 degree difference between the 1911 grip angle (~100 degrees) versus the Glock grip angle (~110 degrees).

Perhaps the increased angle on the Glock caused your grip to be weaker since the top of your wrist would be rotated forward more than you're used to.

Seems like I've read somewhere that's there's about a 10 degree difference between the 1911 grip angle (~100 degrees) versus the Glock grip angle (~110 degrees).

Perhaps the increased angle on the Glock caused your grip to be weaker since the top of your wrist would be rotated forward more than you're used to.

Now that's something I hadn't thought of ... I know the grip on the glock was different ... The p238 being a mini 1911 with roughly the same angle, would make sense as to why i haven't had issues with both of them!

Thanks Loon! I think I'm going to rent another Glock and push 100-150 rounds through it and see if I can correct my mistakes! Didn't have much time today at the class since people were lined up after us!

Appreciate it guys!

Sounds like you probably didn't have your hand high enough up the backstrap, or limpwrist (or a combination of both).

The web of your strong-hand should be tight under where the top of the backstrap meets the bottom of the slide, if there was any space there than that was probably it.

Can't say exactly what you were doing without seeing how you grip, but I'd bet your instructor was correct and a grip issue was the culprit.

My wife and my cousin's wife have the same issue with a Glock. I had to but the wife a Sig so she could get over this issue. If she concentrated on her shooting she was OK but was not really comfortable. With the Sig P239 40 she Just picked it up and started shooting without a problem.

My wife and my cousin's wife have the same issue with a Glock. I had to but the wife a Sig so she could get over this issue. If she concentrated on her shooting she was OK but was not really comfortable. With the Sig P239 40 she Just picked it up and started shooting without a problem.

I think it is actually the sigs superiority to the glock that kept her from having issues ;-)