Question for you all

Guest Jvanhoosen

Guest Jvanhoosen

Ok guys and gals,

I have a question for you on the CC laws of TN. Besides the license cost and registration are TN residents required to attend a course? The reason I ask is that I have heard different stories on whether you have to attend a class. Now I am new to the whole CC club and not actually a member yet but plan on getting a handgun here in the next two weeks. Now if the class is required what is the general cost considering I have heard anywhere from 50-200 bucks. One last question is how long is the course if it is required?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jvanhoosen

Thanks guys that is extremely helpful next does anyone on here know of a class that is offered in the Lebanon area

Edited by Jvanhoosen

Your gonna be looking at around $200 start to finish. The class first- $50-$100. Then a trip to the drivers liscence testing center- $115.00. Then fingerprinted-$included somewhere in there. Then the wait begins, mine was less than 2 weeks. Then in Tennessee you can wear a cowboy holster if you want to. It's not a concealed-carry permit here. It's a handgun carry permit. Concealment isn't necessary. The Armory in Lebanon recommends Eddie Barnes-800-311-9399 or 615-210-9768. At least he's on the back of their business card.

Edited by flyanything
Guest Glock23ForMe

Agreed with all above.

Classes run $50-100 per class and you need to purchase ammunition.

DMV fee is $115 with everything included: fingerprints, paperwork, etc.

Total Cost - $165-215 everything but ammunition, which is around 50-100 rounds depending on where you go.

• Moderators
Agreed with all above.

Classes run $50-100 per class and you need to purchase ammunition.

DMV fee is $115 with everything included: fingerprints, paperwork, etc.

Total Cost - $165-215 everything but ammunition, which is around 50-100 rounds depending on where you go.

Ammunition is included in the cost of most classes here in Memphis, including the 2 for 1 deal the wife and I got where we paid $90 for both of our classes.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Ammunition is included in the cost of most classes here in Memphis, including the 2 for 1 deal the wife and I got where we paid $90 for both of our classes.

You're lucky... :panic::drama:

Honestly, I turned in my paperwork AND did my fingerprints in Lebanon, where the OP is from. I went to the DMV and then did my fingerprints at a place right next to the RaC there.

Ok guys and gals,

I have a question for you on the CC laws of TN. Besides the license cost and registration are TN residents required to attend a course? The reason I ask is that I have heard different stories on whether you have to attend a class. Now I am new to the whole CC club and not actually a member yet but plan on getting a handgun here in the next two weeks. Now if the class is required what is the general cost considering I have heard anywhere from 50-200 bucks. One last question is how long is the course if it is required?

Thanks in advance

Call the Wilson County Sheriff's officer... I seem to recall some deputies offering the class at a reduced rate for people living in Wilson County.

Ok guys and gals,

Thanks in advance

There are some exceptions to the rule. Below is the state law that says you have to have the class unless you meet one of the other requirements. This may be the reason for the "different stories" you have been hearing.

TCA 39-17-1351

(e) The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. Any form created by the department to show proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course shall not require the applicant to provide the applicant's social security number. Any instructor of a department approved handgun safety course shall not withhold proof of the successful completion of the course solely on the fact the applicant did not disclose the applicant's social security number. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours. An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

(1) Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission;

(2) Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy;

(3) Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to § 62-35-118(:panic:; or

(4) Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

Guest boatme99
Your gonna be looking at around $200 start to finish. The class first- $50-$100. Then a trip to the drivers liscence testing center- $115.00. Then fingerprinted-$included somewhere in there. Then the wait begins, mine was less than 2 weeks. Then in Tennessee you can wear a cowboy holster if you want to. It's not a concealed-carry permit here. It's a handgun carry permit. Concealment isn't necessary. The Armory in Lebanon recommends Eddie Barnes-800-311-9399 or 615-210-9768. At least he's on the back of their business card.

++ For Eddie Barnes.

I got my sister shooting a year ago, she and a friend used Eddie for their class. Nothing but good things to say about the class and Mr. Barnes.