Thinking about a Triumph for my first Motorcycle

willis68

I have had my license for well over a year, I just have not bought a Bike. I started wanting a Harley, then a BMW but decided not to spend that much money on one. A Canadian friend of mine just bought a 2010 Triumph Street Triple R, and I really like those and thought about getting one. I then started researching the Speed Triple and like that a heck of a lot more, well they just came out with a color that I love, I will be getting a Bike around April 2011 and I think it will be this one

2010-triumph-speed-t-1_1280x0w.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a first bike? A FIRST bike???

Dude, you just quit smoking to increase your life. No offence intended, but please, please start smaller & slower. I've rebuilt a sh*tload of bikes that've been piled up by new riders or old riders who 'used to have a Triumph back inna '60s that would sit all day at 120 These modern bikes are nowhere near as hard to ride as the old 'uns.'.

I used to be able to buy them cheap to fix & sell because the rider was either dead or disabled.

Guest mustangdave

A buddy of mine here at work...had been talking about the SPEED TRIPLE for going on 3+ years...he jumped up from a Zuki SV-650...well he pulled the trigger and got it last month...HE LOVES it....says it runs "buttery smooth"...Me personally...I'm old school...I lean toward the Triumph Bonniville, Speedmaster or Truxton

Street Triple R is more fun... feels lighter and just as fast anywhere you need it, on public roads, and better brakes than the regular Street Triple or the Speed Triple. The Speed Triple only gets the nod for effortless wheelies and lower RPM cruising.

I disagree with the idea that even the Speed Triple would be overkill for a first bike... anything can kill you if you don't respect it, and riding a better bike will help you get out of trouble faster than something less powerful, has weak brakes, is excessively heavy, etc... My first 2 bikes were CBR600RRs, and my third was a CBR1000RR... and I honestly wish that I had bought the 1000 first, it was simply a smoother, easier bike to ride within the limits... I even got better gas mileage on it around town and on the highway vs the 600, (55/56mpg vs. 45/50mpg), because I wasn't always goosing it. Basically... if that bike is too powerful for someone, then their problem is controlling themself... not some bike.

Not that there aren't a few that require a hint of extra special ninja skill to ride safely... but a Spee Trip isn't even close.

Street Triple R is more fun... feels lighter and just as fast anywhere you need it, on public roads, and better brakes than the regular Street Triple or the Speed Triple. The Speed Triple only gets the nod for effortless wheelies and lower RPM cruising.

I disagree with the idea that even the Speed Triple would be overkill for a first bike... anything can kill you if you don't respect it, and riding a better bike will help you get out of trouble faster than something less powerful, has weak brakes, is excessively heavy, etc... My first 2 bikes were CBR600RRs, and my third was a CBR1000RR... and I honestly wish that I had bought the 1000 first, it was simply a smoother, easier bike to ride within the limits... I even got better gas mileage on it around town and on the highway vs the 600, (55/56mpg vs. 45/50mpg), because I wasn't always goosing it. Basically... if that bike is too powerful for someone, then their problem is controlling themself... not some bike.

Not that there aren't a few that require a hint of extra special ninja skill to ride safely... but a Spee Trip isn't even close.

I agree with you 100% I can ride an 1100 just as easy as a 600 because it is how I ride it and respect it that makes the difference. The reason I am thinking of going with the Speed, I love the look of that bike, especially in the Khaki Green, there is just something about it, with that being said I love the Black Street triple R

I will definitely check them both out, as I said a friend of mine owns the Street triple R and absolutely loves it, I am pretty sure I have it narrowed down to these 2 bikes now, by the time that I am ready to buy it I will know for sure

My vote would be for the speed triple, but with that said it all depends on how you ride. the street is a better handling bike, but if you like showing off(which i do) go with the speed triple it is a wheelie machine. it dont matter which one you get their both a blast. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY.

It's all in the connection between your brain and right wrist. Any modern bike has more than enough power to get the unaware into something they can't get out of in a blink.

The Street/Speed Triples are pure hooligan bikes and a hoot to ride. Get insurance quotes before you get your heart set on one. Be sure to put plenty of $$ in your budget for some decent gear. I wear over $800 worth just riding back and forth to work.

It's all in the connection between your brain and right wrist. Any modern bike has more than enough power to get the unaware into something they can't get out of in a blink.

The Street/Speed Triples are pure hooligan bikes and a hoot to ride. Get insurance quotes before you get your heart set on one. Be sure to put plenty of $$ in your budget for some decent gear. I wear over $800 worth just riding back and forth to work.

Already got the insurance covered, not surprisingly with my record and age it is very affordable on both of the Bikes in question, and I will definitely buy the gear beforehand :eek:

I just got back from looking at an 09 Street R, Very Very nice bike, they will have the 2011 models by the time I get mine so I will check them out as well

I went to Castle power sports, they had an 09 Street Triple R, man I love that Bike! I will not be getting one until next year, Feb Mar, the dealer told me by then the 2011 models will be out and I may like them better I will have to wait and see

Sold my 02 Thunderbird last year, (yep, I miss her), my RA has gotten worse. Good bike, you know that even the "new" Triumph's still have the "gremlin" in the electrical system. The triple was SOOOOOO..... smooth!!! Whatever you get... one word... EYES... only thing that will keep your "hide" on. Good luck.