What do you think about 9mm Brown Bear?

Guest Glock23ForMe

Guest Glock23ForMe

Hey guys,

I am purchasing a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion for my Glock 23, and I was looking for some 9mm ammo to just play around with at the range and shoot around with, maybe at a competition sometime if I can ever get a Saturday. What do you all think about the Brown Bear 9mm as shown here?

Brown%20Bear%209mm%20115gr%20FMJ.jpg

Any thoughts? Ideas? Concerns?

As Always, thanks in advance.

Drew.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have never used it myself but IMHO the laquer coating could become problematic after your guns gets heated up. The chamber can get a little sticky when the goop builds up leading to extraction issues.

Others' results may vary.

Nothing is cheaper that WalMart Federal 9mm. If you really want cheap steel-cased stuff I would recommend somthing polymer coated like Tula

Edited by Garufa
Have never used it myself but IMHO the laquer coating could become problematic after your guns gets heated up. The chamber can get a little sticky when the goop builds up leading to extraction issues.

Others' results may vary.

Nothing is cheaper that WalMart Federal 9mm. If you really want cheap steel-cased stuff I would recommend somthing polymer coated like Tula

This is the same thing as Tula and the lacquer "melting" myth is just that. The only problems people have had was in .223 AR's and it has to do with the metal casing not expanding as much as soft brass and in doing so not creating a tight seal. This allows carbon to build up more than usual and in large volume shooting the case gets cooked into the carbon buildup. Again this is only reported in some AR's mainly due to the DI system making a mountain out of a mole hill and tight .223 chamber tolerances. In a Glock, or any other pistol, this won't be an issue. I've shot Wolf/Barnaul/Tula/Brown Bear etc. nearly exclusively for plinking in a variety of pistols and never have had any problems.

BTW Wolf is the main clearing house of Russian ammo. Russian ammo mainly comes from the Ulyanovsk factory, Tula factory, Vympel factory (Golden Tiger only) or the Barnaul factory under the names of Brown Bear, Golden Bear, Silver Bear, Golden Tiger , Tula, Wolf, and Monarch (for Academy Sports).

My G19 has eaten all forms of the Bears and Wolf. Not one problem. Good for plinking, righ? Just got the Cheaper Than Dirt! Catalog today in the mail, and saw where Wolf and the Bear stuff is really priced good, if they have it (double-check website). Enjoy!

I have some Monarch 9mm from Academy, says "made in Serbia". It's brass cased.

- OS

Prvi Partisan makes the brass cased version of monarch.

Yep. The brass stuff is Serbian. The metal case is Russian. Monarch is branded especially for Academy Sports.