Tomorrow is the day. First planned outing carrying

Tomorrow is going to be the first day I really go out carrying.

I have a good day planned.

I know this is not what most of you want to hear but I will be OC tomorrow.

I will be returning Dad's .22 Ruger I used for my HCP class and it is just a bit 2 big to CC. I am going to wear a long shirt that can almost cover it.

Going take a nice drive up to the TN/KY border area. Take the 4 wheeler out and ride some. Might do a little scouting for deer season. At least going to ride in the area I plan to hunt.

We are going to get some shooting in around Dad's place and let her get the feel for pistols a bit more.

BTW, it looks like we might have to make a couple Wally walks during this trip. She forgot to pick up some safety glasses that I told her to all week. I know the eye center has some safety rated glasses.

I am going to be loaded with a second mag loaded.

Going to be picking up another pistol for my wife to practice with as she is wanting to take her HCP when she gets more familiar with guns. I am doing my part, which includes not forcing and pushing her. My part is answering any questions she has, if I don't know getting her the answer. If and when she wants to go shoot, to take her and not to rush her into it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your primary carry gun going to be?

I have not settled on a primary yet. There are so many choices. I know a few I want but won't be good every day carry.

I am going to have my wife learning with a .22 until she gets more used to guns.

I know better then to ask for suggestions on an EDC here. That would be like asking 10 preachers to example a passage in the Bible. I would get 8 to 10 different answers.

Some guns I want, but I know will not be good EDC.

Taurus Judge, 3 inch Chamber. (Just because I want it) Still trying to decide exactly which one I want. I know what I want but they don't do custom.

I want a .22 Ruger Mark 3 another Just because I want it (P512MKIII)

But for an EDC, I am having a bit more trouble making up my mind.

Guest RichieRich
Tomorrow is going to be the first day I really go out carrying.

I have a good day planned.

I know this is not what most of you want to hear but I will be OC tomorrow.

I will be returning Dad's .22 Ruger I used for my HCP class and it is just a bit 2 big to CC. I am going to wear a long shirt that can almost cover it.

Going take a nice drive up to the TN/KY border area. Take the 4 wheeler out and ride some. Might do a little scouting for deer season. At least going to ride in the area I plan to hunt.

We are going to get some shooting in around Dad's place and let her get the feel for pistols a bit more.

BTW, it looks like we might have to make a couple Wally walks during this trip. She forgot to pick up some safety glasses that I told her to all week. I know the eye center has some safety rated glasses.

I am going to be loaded with a second mag loaded.

Going to be picking up another pistol for my wife to practice with as she is wanting to take her HCP when she gets more familiar with guns. I am doing my part, which includes not forcing and pushing her. My part is answering any questions she has, if I don't know getting her the answer. If and when she wants to go shoot, to take her and not to rush her into it.

Glad to see the wait is over. Stay safe.

I have not settled on a primary yet. There are so many choices. I know a few I want but won't be good every day carry.

I am going to have my wife learning with a .22 until she gets more used to guns.

I know better then to ask for suggestions on an EDC here. That would be like asking 10 preachers to example a passage in the Bible. I would get 8 to 10 different answers.

Some guns I want, but I know will not be good EDC.

Taurus Judge, 3 inch Chamber. (Just because I want it) Still trying to decide exactly which one I want. I know what I want but they don't do custom.

I want a .22 Ruger Mark 3 another Just because I want it (P512MKIII)

But for an EDC, I am having a bit more trouble making up my mind.

the Judge is interesting. I've shot Desert Rat's before, it's not a range gun by any means but it serves a purpose.

What are you considering for EDC? If you gave us some preferences we could probably narrow it down. for instance

do you want a thumb safety?

do you have a caliber in mind?

do you want a SA or DA?

any brands you DON'T want?

I am looking into how I will CC. One thing, I am a big guy and I am not sure how that is going to affect my ability to CC. I am not big enough to CC in fat rolls but still pretty big.

I am just over 300 pound, 6', but I carry it well. Most people if they guess under guess my weight.

So I need to learn the different ways to CC and might even need to change the way I dress to allow CC better.

I will probably be looking in Semi Auto for EDC.

Going to Guess for now, on thumb safety since I am more used to that. Since my hunting rifle is that way as well as Dad's Ruger.

As far as a Brand. Well I want to stay with a brand I know of. Sorry but before I came to this board I had never heard of allot of brands people here use. Guess I have been too disconnected for the past 10 years.

Prefer American made if possible.

I am looking into how I will CC. One thing, I am a big guy and I am not sure how that is going to affect my ability to CC.

Going to Guess for now, on thumb safety since I am more used to that. Since my hunting rifle is that way as well as Dad's Ruger.

As far as a Brand. Well I want to stay with a brand I know of. Sorry but before I came to this board I had never heard of allot of brands people here use. Guess I have been too disconnected for the past 10 years.

start with this thread if you haven't already read it. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/45016-concealed-carry-big-guys.html

Hmmmm, side safety and American made. First gun that comes to mind is the Ruger SR9C Ruger SR9c 9mm Compact Black $399.00 SHIPS FREE

That's the only American made one that comes to mind although I'm sure there are others.

If you like Beretta the PX4 storm subcompact are supposed to be nice guns, they look funny but that doesn't matter.

Beretta PX4 STORM 9mm 13RD CMPCT SHIPS FREE

Or maybe some form of 1911

That's priceless. :screwy:

Have you made the wally-walk yet?

If you do choose to OC please be discreet. :P

Now I am trying to find where you were poking fun at me, my bad grammar or my ability to teach her about guns? I know I ask allot questions here but at the range I am all business when handling a gun.

I just don't want hand her a higher caliber gun and scare her away from guns. She has only shot a grand total of 20 shots. They were all that day we meet up there at Norris.

She is wanting to learn, but i know if I try to force or speed up the proceed I will end up turning her off the idea.

So I have told her, we have a range pass, I am now legal to carry. So any time we are both available and you want to we can go to the range and target practice.

So it is up to her when she goes.

Have you made the wally-walk yet?

If you do choose to OC please be discreet.

Not yet, tomorrow is actually going to be my first carry since getitng my HCP.

Probably tomorrow,

Yes, as discreet as possible. The shirt I will be wearing will almost cover it.

The ruger is something like 9inches long.

I am not going to leave it in my truck if I have to go in anyplace.

Edited by vontar

I looked over that thread. I had been thinking some type of shoulder holster. With winter coming on and wearing jackets and such it would be a good way to start. I need to decide on a EDC and holster at the same time.

I took at look at that SR9C, looks pretty good, did some reading on it. I do like Rugers. I will keep it on my list for sure.

Today, I am returning Dad .22 Ruger. I guess it could be referred to as a Mark 1, but I just now thought of that. Back in WWI they didn't refer to it as WWI. They called it the Great War I believe.

It is a bit big to try to fully CC, plus I don't have a holster to CC it. I am going to wear a long shirt that will mostly cover it.

Going to pick up a .22 revolver for my wife to practice with from Dad. He insists on it, I can't say no.

I am going to try to return his .22, but I think he is going to send me back home with it.

In his mind he is likes guns but does not see any reason to more then 1 pistol. In his mind, he is trying to save me money to keep me from buying another pistol. I am gong to be buying a couple anyways.

Edited by vontar
Please tell me you arent going to be using a .22 as a EDC.

No. I am not. see post 14. Maybe SR9C. Still looking and shopping. eyes are bigger then my wallet at the moment though. I have to start out in a price I can afford.

I have had to spent 8k on home maintenance this summer that I did not have in my budget.

If you go into KY, be sure to check their carry regulations. They have some different than TN. Especially concerning in the vehicle.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in the above bulleted

Item (In Vehicles) by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to

denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer,

disciplinary measures by the employer.

There is a section on non permit

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License

I am not finding anything that says it would be off limits in your car/truck/RV once you have your permit.

Correct me if I am wrong.

TN and KY are the 2 states I will mostly travel in.

I am about to head out, wife is almost read.

However KY is an Open carry Gold Star State.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Kentucky

Kentucky

Summary

Kentucky is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is constitutionally protected with court precedent and law enforcement is aware of its legality.

Open Car Carry You may open carry in a vehicle either in plain view OR in a glove box.

Concealed Carry Available at Handgunlaw.us points back to where I was.

start with this thread if you haven't already read it. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/45016-concealed-carry-big-guys.html

Hmmmm, side safety and American made. First gun that comes to mind is the Ruger SR9C Ruger SR9c 9mm Compact Black $399.00 SHIPS FREE

That's the only American made one that comes to mind although I'm sure there are others.

If you like Beretta the PX4 storm subcompact are supposed to be nice guns, they look funny but that doesn't matter.

Beretta PX4 STORM 9mm 13RD CMPCT SHIPS FREE

Or maybe some form of 1911

And....... they're off. You can get an M&P with a safety. Also US made. I have no use for a safety on a striker gun. It's an extra step (and extra time) to ready the gun.

I am looking into how I will CC. One thing, I am a big guy and I am not sure how that is going to affect my ability to CC. I am not big enough to CC in fat rolls but still pretty big.

I am just over 300 pound, 6', but I carry it well. Most people if they guess under guess my weight.

So I need to learn the different ways to CC and might even need to change the way I dress to allow CC better.

If you limit yourself ro American made, you'll not have much choice.

I have eight large caliber SA handguns,(counting my 9mm x 18) and only one of them is American made, my S&W 659. All are reliable and easy to carry IWB, I can even carry OWB with the right holster and shirt.

Erik mentioned the PX4 SC, I have a PX4 service model and it carries well.

Just poking fun at making your wife learn anything. In a broad, general way...not gun-related. My wife won't listen to a thing I say. :hat:

My wife listens but chooses to ignore most of what I say.:devil:

While there is a choice to carry open or concealed, concealed carry prevents more problems.

Edited by tnhawk