ASP baton legality

Haha. Punisher, you just can't think outside of the box, can you? For the tgo record, I can't show you a case where someone was arrested and convicted without actually using the Maglite.

Sorry Fallguy, no steak dinner this week!

If I carry my MagLite and get myslef arrested can I get a steak dinner then? :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Punisher, you just can't think outside of the box, can you? For the tgo record, I can't show you a case where someone was arrested and convicted without actually using the Maglite.

Sorry Fallguy, no steak dinner this week!

It's not thinking outside of the box. It's knowing and dealing with the law on a daily basis as part of my job. Its just not in the law. Im sure you believe you're right and that's fine. Well just agree to disagree on it.

• 2 months later...

So, all debating aside. Where is a good place to get ASP certified? I think the idea that you will probably never need it applies to firearms as well. I hope I will never need it, but might be nice to have it as an option. I called Academy of Self Protection in Joelton and they offer the class but don't have a date on the calender yet. Anybody know of any classes going on in middle TN?

Tire Knockers are available at some gas stations on the open highway. There are nice ones i've seen at a gas station you might be interested in that are made out of wood. You sometimes need to make sure your tires have enough air in them.

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-884-ozark-tire-thumper.aspx?utm_source=Product_Plus

Maglites provide a lot of good light and there are some nice big ones. I like the D cell variety.

Flashlights and steak dinners aside are there specific limitations to ASP carry as opposed to a handgun? For instance, are there places one could legally carry an ASP that would not allow a handgun? (And I mean as a matter of statute, not the obvious answer that some places are posted by private ownership) If this is the case then there might very well be some merit to getting such a license if you wanted to have "something" if otherwise disarmed. You obviously can't carry guns everywhere so if you could carry an ASP as an alternative for defense it seems a reasonable course of action unless most people simply agree that one might be better served with mace/pepper spray.

... For instance, are there places one could legally carry an ASP that would not allow a handgun? ....

The only mention of batons in the weapons section of TCA is that clubs are illegal to carry for the intention of going armed but an exception for clubs/batons is the certification. (AND, to carry a club one must not be prohibited from purchasing a firearm).

Businesses may by posting prohibit just handguns or all weapons, depending on how they post.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I've seen of the effectiveness you're much better off with the ASP instead of the pepper spray. Having been recently pepper sprayed myself however, I'd say it sucks a lot more to be pepper sprayed then wailed on a bit with an ASP. If you can afford it, get the taser for a non-firearm defense alternative. Hands down that's the best way to go.

So, all debating aside. Where is a good place to get ASP certified? I think the idea that you will probably never need it applies to firearms as well. I hope I will never need it, but might be nice to have it as an option. I called Academy of Self Protection in Joelton and they offer the class but don't have a date on the calender yet. Anybody know of any classes going on in middle TN?

ASP...no pun intended (Joelton Gun Shop) is having the baton class on the 19th of Dec. My wife and I are signed up. I think it's from 830 until 1230, with OC spray cert class after.

I doubt that pepper spray class will be fun! I guess the good thing about getting the asp certification is you could legally carry a blackjack or slapper in your jacket pocket for self defense if you like those kind of weapons. I'm not too big of a fan of getting up close to someone to have to use a weapon. I'd rather get far away.

I think those Tasers seem to be decent alternatives for people not willing to carry firearms. Also pepper spray seems to be a good alternative. Both put distance between you and an attacker. Clubs, blackjacks, and slappers make you get real close to the attacker and you have to fight it out with him, which can sometimes not be a good thing. I'd rather not get in a tangle with a doper if I can avoid it...and I've heard enough stories from old time police having to hit criminals several times with the OLD SCHOOL wooden night sticks, black jacks, slappers, and even using handguns as clubs and some of them still had the fight and kept on fighting. Impact weapons can mean down and dirty fighting that means you better be a big boy and meaner and bigger than the crook and can outfight him.

I doubt that pepper spray class will be fun! I guess the good thing about getting the asp certification is you could legally carry a blackjack or slapper in your jacket pocket for self defense if you like those kind of weapons. I'm not too big of a fan of getting up close to someone to have to use a weapon. I'd rather get far away.

Only if a blackjack or slapper is what you received training on.

The way I read the law, training for an expandable baton only allows you to carry an expandable baton, not any impact weapon.

Only if a blackjack or slapper is what you received training on.

The way I read the law, training for an expandable baton only allows you to carry an expandable baton, not any impact weapon.

My state training card just says "Impact Weapon", but I think you're going to be in alot better position legally if you go "a whoopin and a whompin" (as Slim Pickens would say) on somebody, if you are using what you trained with.

My state training card just says "Impact Weapon", but I think you're going to be in alot better position legally if you go "a whoopin and a whompin" (as Slim Pickens would say) on somebody, if you are using what you trained with.

Hmmmm well I admit I haven't pulled my certificate out in a while and looked at it, got it nearly 20 years ago, but I think mine only says ASP expandable baton.

Hmmmm well I admit I haven't pulled my certificate out in a while and looked at it, got it nearly 20 years ago, but I think mine only says ASP expandable baton.

Well, not like I really know, but I'll chime in and mention that:

39-17-1307 says it's illegal to carry a club

39-17-1308 says with certification "in the use of a club or baton" it's okay

Sounds pretty general to me, meaning, any certificate would be a defense to carrying any club, but then again I'm sure this is just another of our weapons laws that most any two given lawyers could disagree on also.

I seriously thought about getting the training so I could carry a sap if I wanted. But who knows how good a defense the certification would actually be. Maybe good enough for a sap or a kuboton but not good enough for a baseball bat or spiked mace?

Again, gray.

- OS

Well, not like I really know, but I'll chime in and mention that:

39-17-1307 says it's illegal to carry a club

39-17-1308 says with certification "in the use of a club or baton" it's okay

Sounds pretty general to me, meaning, any certificate would be a defense to carrying any club, but then again I'm sure this is just another of our weapons laws that most any two given lawyers could disagree on also.

I seriously thought about getting the training so I could carry a sap if I wanted. But who knows how good a defense the certification would actually be. Maybe good enough for a sap or a kuboton but not good enough for a baseball bat or spiked mace?

Again, gray.

- OS

I'm going to the ASP training on Dec 19th. I'll ask about spiked mace training. Looks like you are correct concerning any club is a club. I suspect it would be like getting your carry permit with a .22 Mosquito and carry a Desert Eagle .50AE.....the jury might have a few questions.

Now we're talking!

mace.jpg

- OS

This is a great thing!! Just exactly the club i was thinkin about!

On a less delightful note; i, like you, are interested in the interpretation. The damn hospital and doctors wont let me go "really armed" when i go see 'em (...im having to do that more and more; sadly...). I'm interested in keeping the yahoos from taking my baby aspirin (...and money --- what little there is...) from me in the parking garage. I see the ASP or sap as a great way to do that. I'm interested in the report from the "baton training" myself. FWIW; and old buddy of mine who is a reserve policeman said "dont worry about it". Just carry it and go about your business (...and ive done that from time to time; but i live in Knox county; they are pretty ignorant down there...).

Keep up the good work!

Leroy