First time skeet shooter...got advice?

I've been wanting to do this for years, but didn't know of a close place to shoot and didn't have a shotgun for it. I found out about Big Springs Clay Targets in Murfreesboro, so that part is settled. I may try Henry Horton too, but for now it's too far until I found out how much I enjoy it.

I recently picked up a shotgun (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/45566-got-deal-shotgun-i-couldnt-pass-up.html) that I hope will get me started. It's a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with 28" ported barrel. Right now it has a modified choke in it, but I'm headed to Dick's Sporting goods to pick up a skeet choke. Should I get a wrench or can I keep using a quarter?

What I've found to read so far recommends an over-and-under, but I can't afford one yet. If I like skeet shooting, I won't mind saving up for a better gun. I watched half a dozen videos and read dozens of web pages about how to stand, how to mount, what hold position to use for each station, recommended break points. It's a lot to consume at once.

What advice would you give someone on the main thing(s) to concentrate on first? Stance? Follow-through? Any advice will be appreciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, form is of most importance. I can usually shoot fairly well, and if I find one day that I am not shooting well, it is usually something basic that I have gotten lazy with. This is truely one of those things that you can read about it all you want, but when it comes to it, you will find you can only really learn it by doing it. I recomend finding some one to spend a little time with who can really coach you through a few things to get you started. It is really hard to evaluate your problems yourself as you are doing it.

From my person experience, many skeet and trap clubs are a little bit arrogant and are not very friendly when it comes to teaching some dude with a hunting gun how to shoot. I hope you can have a different experience with this aspect, but a different approach might be to try sporting clays. Generally, the stands are designed for hunting scenarios, so the guns used are often more of a hunting gun. Skeet guns have all kinds of customizing crap on them that many of those shooter think you have to have. All I am saying is that from my experience, unless you are wanting to go balls deep into skeet shooting, you might have a better experience first trying sporting clays or by throwing your own in a field with someone to coach you.

And yeah, buy a wrench and a skeet choke, you will not be sorry you did.

Well I went today and shot 2 rounds. The Mossberg only kicks a little bit, but I don't have any bruises. I expected to be sore or bruised after 50 shots with this light of a gun. Funny, my right cheek is more sore from the comb than my should is from the butt. Nobody gave me grief for using my cheap hunting gun. The owner's son (in early 20's) said he sees a lot of folks out with pump guns, so that made me feel better.

I shot with 3 other guys that were there (crowded on Sundays). One was very friendly and tried to help me out, but I couldn't hear a word he was saying (earplugs). I'd just point to my earplugs and shake my head. He probably thought I was slow or something, b/c when that didn't get the point across, I resorted to just smiling and nodding.

First round, I only hit about 4 or 5 out of 24. A guy that worked there said several times that I was rotating my shoulders instead of my legs and not following through on my shots. He seemed frustrated, like I was ignoring his advice, but honestly, I didn't feel myself doing it. I tried to stay conscious of it but then I missed more clays.

Second round I hit about 8 or 9 and was starting to feel the rhythm on Stations 1 & 2 and 6 & 7. I still couldn't get my timing right on 3, 4, 5, & 8. The clays seem to cross faster than I can react, for now.

It was fun and I'll go back next weekend or the weekend after that. I enjoyed it, so I feel compelled to get better at it.

Edit: I lied, the next day I had a sizable bruise.

Edited by BigK
correction:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I tried skeet for the first time a few months ago. I have shot some in the back yard with a spring-loaded thrower, but they mostly went away from me and not across. Don't worry about the gun, it's a hobby and it's different for everybody. It's as much as you want to spend. I started with a used Charles Daly 12 Semi-auto and recently purchased a Vinci, but my goal is an O/U too. When I first started one guy said to start at low 7 and get practice with the bird just rising and falling. Have you heard of "Cedar City Gun Club" it is out by the track. It takes no time to get there from LaVergne. Hope that helps.

Matt

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I tried skeet for the first time a few months ago. I have shot some in the back yard with a spring-loaded thrower, but they mostly went away from me and not across. Don't worry about the gun, it's a hobby and it's different for everybody. It's as much as you want to spend. I started with a used Charles Daly 12 Semi-auto and recently purchased a Vinci, but my goal is an O/U too. When I first started one guy said to start at low 7 and get practice with the bird just rising and falling. Have you heard of "Cedar City Gun Club" it is out by the track. It takes no time to get there from LaVergne. Hope that helps.

Matt

Matt, I'm quite jealous that I don't have a trap setup in my back yard! I live over in Lake Forrest, so needless to say, that's not possible. Have you taken that Benelli out to the skeet range yet? If I recall correctly, that Vinci model is under 7#. It's a wonder how they managed to get the recoil under control on a gun that light, but they are awesome.

On Station 1, 2, 6, & 7 I hit the low bird most often. You're right, just managing the rise/fall is much easier to learn with.

Thanks for the heads up on Cedar City. I'll definitely give them a try. Big Springs cost me $27 for 2 rounds ($5 daily membership, $5/round for clays, & $6/box for shells). Is Cedar City comparably priced?

If you ever find yourself needing someone to tag along, shoot me a PM.

Wait till you try sporting clays, they are the bomb!

David, sporting clays sounds fun too, but the place I went doesn't have a setup for that. I'm not ready for that yet anyway. In retrospect, I probably should have started off with trap instead of skeet. If my skill level comes around, I'll give sporting clays a try too!

I was gonna ask about lessons this weekend, but forgot. I could easily see how that would be the best way to learn right. I'd like to avoid learning any bad habits that will take a long time to train myself out of later.

Did you ever take lessons, Guy? If so, do you recall how much they cost or have a general idea?

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I was gonna ask about lessons this weekend, but forgot. I could easily see how that would be the best way to learn right. I'd like to avoid learning any bad habits that will take a long time to train myself out of later.

Did you ever take lessons, Guy? If so, do you recall how much they cost or have a general idea?

Yes, took lessons at Nashville Gun Club. Sorry, I don't remember the cost.

I checked out their site (www.tnclay.com) and their resident pro (Terry Hetrick) charges $95 per lesson or 3 lessons for $265.

I might try to scrape together a C-note before it gets cold. That's expensive to me, considering I'm shooting a < $200 gun, but that's the same cost as 4 trips to shoot and I won't likely get much better on my own.

I wish I had some place at the house to shoot. I'm behind the krogers, but growing up we would shoot at my Grandfather's in VA. There are no daily fees and non members are $6 a round for skeet & trap, 5 stand is $2 more and a sporting clays course is set up in the fall. Your first trip you shoot at member rates of $4 and until the end of Sept. visitors can shoot for $4. The Benelli is fun to shoot, I usually shoot 4-5 rounds when i go and I'm very comfortable at the end of the day. I have been shooting the CD because my wife has claimed the Vinci. I'll let you when I go, I need to go to Stones River sometime.

Matt

Yeah, I just bought a S & W 15-22 for my daughter and we haven't had a chance to fire it yet. We've got plans for Sat morning but maybe that afternoon or Sunday.

Matt

How old is your daughter? I have a 13 yr old and she LOVES shooting my S&W 15-22 and my Ruger Mark II. I bet she'd love having a girl to shoot with for a change.

We'll be headin up there this weekend some time. If you narrow down a time, let me know & maybe we'll run into you there.

Kevin

If you don't want to spend big bucks on lessons I would recommend the Todd Bender videos.

I think I saw a coupley of those video snippets on YouTube. They weren't full length, but from what I saw of them, he seems like a good teacher. From what I've read, he's kind of a guru in the skeet world, especially famous for his Station 2 write up in Shotgun World.

I'm sure the videos would help a lot, but for now I think I need the lessons. I need somebody to watch me do stuff wrong and smack my hand a little.

I too took up skeet shooting for the first time this year and I love it...I haven't gotten a chance to do much for the past three months but it's a lot of fun. I belong to the Nashville Gun Club/Tennessee Clay Target Complex (Nashville) and also the Cedar City Gun Club (Lebanon). I have to echo the thoughts on a coach...the lessons really do help a great deal.

I believe they do a "fun shoot" at Henry Horton on Sundays (but I've never been...need to check on that), Cedar City does one on Monday evenings and Nashville Gun Club does theirs on Thursday nights but you have to belong to the club to do their shoots. Cedar City is open to everyone on Saturdays. Let me know if you ever want to go; I've been looking for an excuse to go again! :(

Anyway...skeet is a LOT of fun...I think the best description is that it's like golf with shotguns...which also means, prepare for some frustration before you really get good at it!

I too took up skeet shooting for the first time this year and I love it...I haven't gotten a chance to do much for the past three months but it's a lot of fun. I belong to the Nashville Gun Club/Tennessee Clay Target Complex (Nashville) and also the Cedar City Gun Club (Lebanon). I have to echo the thoughts on a coach...the lessons really do help a great deal.

I believe they do a "fun shoot" at Henry Horton on Sundays (but I've never been...need to check on that), Cedar City does one on Monday evenings and Nashville Gun Club does theirs on Thursday nights but you have to belong to the club to do their shoots. Cedar City is open to everyone on Saturdays. Let me know if you ever want to go; I've been looking for an excuse to go again! :(

Anyway...skeet is a LOT of fun...I think the best description is that it's like golf with shotguns...which also means, prepare for some frustration before you really get good at it!

Although I am not excited to be laughed at for my skeet shooting antics, I'd like to go some time. Matt was telling me about Cedar City and since it's so close, I'd love to give it a try next. Big Springs was great, but it's a lot farther.

I'm probably going to go to the IDPA match this Saturday (the 18th) in Dickson put on by Music City Tactical Shooters (what can I say...I like frustration!) and if so, I this Saturday is out as far as Cedar City goes...the following Saturday (the 25th) I'm out of town for the weekend so Saturday October 2 is my first Open Saturday...if that can work for you; shoot me a PM and we'll meet up someplace and maybe have breakfast before going to the range!

Robert

Cedar City is having their Club Championships in October. Skeet is Oct. 2, Trap Oct. 16, 5 Stand Oct. 30. Just something to think about, I don't know how many fields will be open. I'd go but I've got plans for the first 2 weekends in Oct.

Matt