ID to use cash?

Glenn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drewsett

I also have "Must See ID" on the back of my card. I am asked maybe 10% of the time. As a result I'm uber-vigilant about checking and asking when someone uses a card marked in a similar way. Usually I am thanked for it.

Guest strelcevina
I use my boyfriends card and my dads ..........................................

.................I try to remain calm at first but then my temper sets in .........

Even a gun loving tomboy is still normal woman :devil:

If they do not want $100 bills they need to post it at the door before I come in.

The whole point of cash is anonymity. Per the currency itself: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

So if they take cash, they have to take all forms of US currency.

I have "ask for ID" on the back of all my CC/Debit cards, and have only been asked once to show my ID. I thanked the guy for it. Once, I paid for a meal at Zaxby's (mmmmm....Zaxby's), the girl behind the counter took my card, looked at the "ask for ID" written in the signature block, stared at it for a few seconds with a confused look on her face, then handed it back to me without asking for ID. I still get a good laugh out of that.

I probably would have told the server to go pound sand if he asked for ID for cash. Either take it or don't. If they refuse my cash payment, and I have no other way to pay, then I would tell him that I assume my meal was free. :devil:

My grandfather has these really, really old $100 dollar bills. Like, ancient old, $100's. I went to McDonald's one night, pretty late because I got off work late, and bought a $6 meal. The only bill I had on me was one of those $100 dollar bills. (They are like series 1969-75) I gave the lady a $100.. She marked it with the card, and had to go get change from the night manager. The night manager came back and said that she couldn't take the $100 Dollar bill because she thought it was fake. I told here there was "NO WAY IN HELL" that bill is fake, and took it back, and gave her another one, from my wallet. She took it, marked it with the counterfeit pen, and said it passed, but she still couldn't take it.

I told her, "Okay, I'll just go to Taco Bell anyways from now on." Went to Taco Bell, they took it, gave me change and I was on my way. I had the :poop:s the next morning, but other than that it was all good. Still haven't been back to that McDonalds.

Look like this, with a red seal?

US_%24100_United_States_Note_1966.jpg

Guest Boomhower

As far as CrimsonAudio's comment about the 0% tip...I doubt it's the server's fault, and 0% is pretty darn harsh. In most restaurants in TN if you tip less than 4% the server is actually paying to wait on you. Most restaurants that have bussers or food-runners or hostesses (which are most restaurants) require their servers to "tip out" a percentage of their sales. If I sell $1000 (an average night for me) I owe the house 40 bucks for redistribution to the bussers, bartenders, hostesses, and food-runners. The percentage can vary from restaurant to restaurant, usually between 3 and 5 percent.

I'm really not trying to be rude here, but I don't see this as a customers problem. I have had my fair share of good and bad service. Even on mediocre service, I usually tip roughly 15% (I understand how tough it can be to wait on some of the fine folks in the general public)......but I don't see the underlined statement above as being the customers concern. An employer is required to pay the federal or state minimum wage (Click here). So even on a worse case basis (which most waiters will never see, ie: no tips) an employee is still going to walk away at the end of the night with minimum wag pay. If you receive no tip, it is costing you your time which results in less money, but certainly not the other way around.

Guest Boomhower

Oh and as for the ID thing for cash.......It's a no go for me as well. I don't use CC's or DC's anymore.........What on earth did people do before credit was introduced. Oh yeah, they only had CASH.

Guest clownsdd

I don't show ID with cash. My $100 bill says THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE (in all caps), as well as the 20,10 5, & 1's. Nothing on it about the id.

As for the "ask for picture ID" thing, I may be wrong but I think the card has to be signed to be valid for use.

Of course my cards all have "pic ID only" or something similar written on the back and are not signed.

The back of my card is signed C I D. I rarely get asked.

..My CC's have ask for ID but rarely get asked.

I never show I.D. But they never ask. I use my boyfriends card and my dads and mine and I have never been asked. The only place that I have been asked mostly is bass pro.

That is all news to me. I have a MasterCard, Visa, AmEx, and bank/ATM/debit card, and NONE of them say anything about showing an ID.

- OS

That is all news to me. I have a MasterCard, Visa, AmEx, and bank/ATM/debit card, and NONE of them say anything about showing an ID.

- OS

It is not put on there by the CC company. We are all writing it in ourselves in the signature block on the back of the card, or somewhere on the back of the card.