ID to use cash?

Glenn

That would be a stupid rule.

From Privacy rights clearinghouse:

The MasterCard Merchant Rules Manual provides as follows:

9.11.2 Cardholder Identification

A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment

of a card at the POI [point of interaction] refuses to provide additional identification information, except as specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A merchant may require additional identification from the cardholder if the information is required to complete the transaction, such as for shipping purposes. A merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification Service (AVS) may require the cardholder’s ZIP or postal code to complete a cardholder-activated terminal (CAT) transaction, or the cardholder’s address and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce transaction.

(http://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/MERC-Entire_Manual.pdf)

MasterCard has an online form for reporting merchant violations of this rule. Go to Contact Us | Merchant Violations*| MasterCard® and check the box: “The merchant/retailer required identification.”

The Rules for Visa Merchants provides:

When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal

for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

Rules for Visa Merchants, page 29).

Stupid or not, that seems to be the rule

Glenn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Glenn.

The reason for that is, I was told back a while the CC companies protect the stores in the event of Fraud. The stores are covered as well as the card holder. I believe the card holder if fraud is proved can only be held accountable for something like $50 dollars. No I am not going to look it up tonight. I have to work tomorrow.

I did not know about that link for Merchant Violations. I know a place to test this.

Cinemark Tinseltown in Oak Ridge is bad to ask for ID when you use a CC. I refused and said something one and well, lets say it pissed off my wife. It was a few years back and I understood it then that merchants had to treat credit cards like cash, no ID.

My wife hates it if I make a scene but if I am right, I am not going to be walked on. I am going to try to be polite about it.

Guest Glock23ForMe

My grandfather has these really, really old $100 dollar bills. Like, ancient old, $100's. I went to McDonald's one night, pretty late because I got off work late, and bought a $6 meal. The only bill I had on me was one of those $100 dollar bills. (They are like series 1969-75) I gave the lady a $100.. She marked it with the card, and had to go get change from the night manager. The night manager came back and said that she couldn't take the $100 Dollar bill because she thought it was fake. I told here there was "NO WAY IN HELL" that bill is fake, and took it back, and gave her another one, from my wallet. She took it, marked it with the counterfeit pen, and said it passed, but she still couldn't take it.

I told her, "Okay, I'll just go to Taco Bell anyways from now on." Went to Taco Bell, they took it, gave me change and I was on my way. I had the :poop:s the next morning, but other than that it was all good. Still haven't been back to that McDonalds.

Guest Drewsett

I have a hard time believing there are restaurants willing to do this sort of thing. I have an even harder time believing the server wouldn't tell you the reason why...

I'm not saying you're lying, it's just surprising as all hell. I work as a waiter in a high-end steakhouse in Cool Springs and while I highly doubt that I would ever be asked by management to ask my guests spending $100 bills to provide ID, if for some reason I was...I would be extremely courteous about it, explain the reason why, and if the guest did for some reason become upset, offer to check the bill and make him change out of my own pocket upon being personally satisfied that it wasn't fake (using a counterfeit pen and looking for the proper watermark/id strip).

As far as CrimsonAudio's comment about the 0% tip...I doubt it's the server's fault, and 0% is pretty darn harsh. In most restaurants in TN if you tip less than 4% the server is actually paying to wait on you. Most restaurants that have bussers or food-runners or hostesses (which are most restaurants) require their servers to "tip out" a percentage of their sales. If I sell $1000 (an average night for me) I owe the house 40 bucks for redistribution to the bussers, bartenders, hostesses, and food-runners. The percentage can vary from restaurant to restaurant, usually between 3 and 5 percent.

As far as CrimsonAudio's comment about the 0% tip...I doubt it's the server's fault, and 0% is pretty darn harsh. In most restaurants in TN if you tip less than 4% the server is actually paying to wait on you. Most restaurants that have bussers or food-runners or hostesses (which are most restaurants) require their servers to "tip out" a percentage of their sales. If I sell $1000 (an average night for me) I owe the house 40 bucks for redistribution to the bussers, bartenders, hostesses, and food-runners. The percentage can vary from restaurant to restaurant, usually between 3 and 5 percent.

Yah, I waited tables in college, so I don't flippantly throw that out there. But it's true, you insult me like that asking for ID on legal tender - US CASH - then expect to get about nothing left for your 'efforts'.

Mine, too. And yet, I'm almost never asked for my ID... :-\

This. It actually surprises me when they do ask, and ALL of them glance at the back of the card. I think they're just looking to make sure it's 'signed'.

I've gotten in the habit of thanking those who actually ask for ID.

As for the "ask for picture ID" thing, I may be wrong but I think the card has to be signed to be valid for use.

Of course my cards all have "pic ID only" or something similar written on the back and are not signed. Never been refused service on them and I almost always get asked to present ID. And I always thank the clerk for asking.

i think recently there was warning about fake 100 $ bills coming to U.S. so i can understand them asking for ID.

Still doesn't make sense. The onus is on the proprietor to be able to spot counterfeit currency. Like Mike, I would have flatly refused to show my ID. That's absurd.

Guest Daelith
My cards say "Must show ID".

Mine too!

I might (and that's big might) have shown him my ID, but I would not have allowed him to leave my presence with it. It would never leave my hand.

They have ways of checking the bills. And what are they going to do if that was my only means of paying for it? I don't use credit or debit cards in restaurants.

It should have been marked on the door.

Guest milkman

Something that everyone is missing is that a business doesn't have to take cash. A couple of years ago when a new Iphone or Ipod came out Apple stores refused cash and the Treasury said it was perfectly legal to refuse cash.

It doesn't bother me to have to show ID for a $100 bill, but the only times I've hand Hundreds were when buying something big or closing accounts. I usually carry nothing larger than a $20.

Something that everyone is missing is that a business doesn't have to take cash. A couple of years ago when a new Iphone or Ipod came out Apple stores refused cash and the Treasury said it was perfectly legal to refuse cash.

That's fine even though I can't understand why. Cash is MONEY and money is what takes care of the credit card bill so it takes the money in the end anyway. BUT after I eat the food they better take my cash if they want to get paid!

It doesn't bother me to have to show ID for a $100 bill, but the only times I've hand Hundreds were when buying something big or closing accounts. I usually carry nothing larger than a $20.

True they don't have to take cash, but I don't believe they can pick and choose which customers they accept cash from on the spot.

Table A can pay with Cash but table B can not type of thing.

If they are accepting cash from some, they have to accept it from all.

Apple did it legal with a blanket policy that shocked everyone. At work when that happened we went to the US Treasury site and looked up the rules and found it was legal. We found it hard to believe but there it was.

As for the "ask for picture ID" thing, I may be wrong but I think the card has to be signed to be valid for use.

Of course my cards all have "pic ID only" or something similar written on the back and are not signed. Never been refused service on them and I almost always get asked to present ID. And I always thank the clerk for asking.

I never sign my cards, and nobody ever notices. The last (and only) time was in Commiefornia years ago.

Guest strelcevina

just recently i was picking up some cash from a bank, about 4500$ to pay for a car. and i was siting in the bank for 30 minutes waiting for manager to come and give me my money.

sucks how they trying make you stop using cash

Guest Glock23ForMe
I never sign my cards, and nobody ever notices. The last (and only) time was in Commiefornia years ago.

None of my cars are signed... And the only time I ever have to use and ID is when I buy over $100 dollars worth of stuff at Wal-Mart.

And that isn't even useful, because I have a credit card, along with my dad on the same account, that I pay the bill for (because his interest is like 3.2% APR and mine was 23.99% APR) and every time I went to Wal-Mart, they gave me :poop: about using it. Now, I just go through the Self Check out, slide the card with OUR name on it, and when they come ask, I show them my bank card.. they say, "Okay, thanks" and I leave.

The things put in place for an ID to be used are a joke.

Guest countryfirecracker

I never show I.D. But they never ask. I use my boyfriends card and my dads and mine and I have never been asked. The only place that I have been asked mostly is bass pro.

I would have told that waiter to get me a manager. I try to remain calm at first but then my temper sets in when I get irritated when I know somethings wrong and i would have gotten ugly.