ID to use cash?

Glenn

The wife and I went with 2 other couples to the Knoxville Radisson for their seafood buffet. When it was time to pay one other fellow ond I used credit cards but the third guy used a $100 bill. Not really unusual since their bill was about $80. The waiter said I'm sorry sir but I have to see some ID or I can't accept that. WTF you take credit cards without batting an eye but need id to take cash? I'll say he was calmer about it than I would have been. He just gave the waiter his DL and let it slide. I think I would have used my HCP.

I thought the whole thing was very odd.

Glenn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the bill was 80 bucks and service was good, I would have gave the the Benjamin, then told him thanks. ( leave at my convenience.) No way Am I showing ID to spend cash. No way, no how would I have complied with that BS.

I need no ID to spend cash.

Guest strelcevina
The wife and I went with 2 other couples to the Knoxville Radisson for their seafood buffet. When it was time to pay one other fellow ond I used credit cards but the third guy used a $100 bill. Not really unusual since their bill was about $80. The waiter said I'm sorry sir but I have to see some ID or I can't accept that. WTF you take credit cards without batting an eye but need id to take cash? I'll say he was calmer about it than I would have been. He just gave the waiter his DL and let it slide. I think I would have used my HCP.

I thought the whole thing was very odd.

Glenn

i think recently there was warning about fake 100 $ bills coming to U.S. so i can understand them asking for ID.

why would you show your HCP instead ID????

I probably would have as nice as I could looked at him/her and said I don't have my ID with me.

(that warning about the fake 100's, Remember what I dug up and posted on it, that is a fake spam dating back to the early 90's) Don't get me wrong, there are fakes out there but they need to check for them, use the pen and check for the water mark.

i think recently there was warning about fake 100 $ bills coming to U.S. so i can understand them asking for ID.

why would you show your HCP instead ID????

Dude you are missing the point. Why would you show ID period??

if they have a problem with my cash let them prove it is phoney. Why would you show ID over this?

Force the man to make an issue out of it.

Guest strelcevina
Dude you are missing the point. Why would you show ID period??

if they have a problem with my cash let them prove it is phoney. Why would you show ID over this?

Force the man to make an issue out of it.

it is called profiling. he probably looked like he cant afford 80$ meal. so show some ID.

you know those owners would make their own rules as much they can.

it is called profiling. he probably looked like he cant afford 80$ meal. so show some ID.

you know those owners would make their own rules as much they can.

oh bullcrap. what does someone look like that can't afford an 80 dollar meal? If he looked bad they would have ran him out from the get go.

Not showing an ID for cash, period.

The seafood was good. Will definitely go again. The comment about the HCP for Id was a poor attempt at a joke. Let him know you are carrying if he wants to make an issue out of it. like I said, just a little joke. Very little.

I wouldn't have shown an id either.

Glenn

Recently there was a guy running all over Knoxville with fake $100's. He came to my girlfriend's work but they didn't notice it until he was gone. It was 100's re-printed onto real money so the money pen's showed a genuine bill. That's probably why the guy asked for ID, although it's B.S.

at a fine steakhouse in Houston they were taking peoples DL numbers and putting them on record with the $100.00 bills serial number I agree it is BS but that sometimes is the only way to catch the Bills as they can not be verified until they are deposited in the Bank

Edited by willis68
at a fine steakhouse in Houston they were taking peoples DL numbers and putting them on record with the $100.00 bills serial number

they could have my vehicle license number if the put forth the effort.

If they do not want $100 bills they need to post it at the door before I come in.

Well who am I kidding anyway, the chances of me having a 100 dollar bill are about as likely as a UT Martin win tomorrow.

If the bill was 80 bucks and service was good, I would have gave the the Benjamin, then told him thanks. ( leave at my convenience.) No way Am I showing ID to spend cash. No way, no how would I have complied with that BS.

I need no ID to spend cash.

I agree. I'd have explained to the server that I only had cash, and no ID. If there are any issues with that, I'd be glad to speak to the manager.

I don't see why they didn't just mark it with one of those pens to check the bill. I don't see how the id is going to help them to see if the $100 is real or not.

I agree. I can understand asking for ID if someone uses a card, so that they can verify the name on the card matches the person using it. Unless they're recording the name of folks paying with $100.00 bills, asking for ID doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

I agree. I'd have explained to the server that I only had cash, and no ID. If there are any issues with that, I'd be glad to speak to the manager.

I agree. I can understand asking for ID if someone uses a card, so that they can verify the name on the card matches the person using it. Unless they're recording the name of folks paying with $100.00 bills, asking for ID doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

I am pretty sure, no not pretty, but reasonably sure it is against Visa's rules for a merchant to ask for more ID to use a credit card

Glenn

Guest jackdm3

1. I would ask him where the sign regarding was about no 100's.

2. Apparently I would have to be the first one ever to show him the band on the bill says "100", not "1" and I would also show him the watermarked Benjamin Franklin.

3. I'd probably skip giving him my HCP ("Oops! That's not my DL!") and go straight to, "You make this work or you don't get paid!" [i'm a real bastard in these situations.}