Bat senses kicked in and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Whew!

Links2k

I had made a purchase at a local gun store the other day and was looking around a bit before I left. A young guy wearing a wife beater and dreads walks up and ask me for a light. I tell him that I don't smoke and continued to move about the store.

A short time later as I exited the store the guy is standing to my right and nods in my direction. I look to my left and 3 or four other guys are sitting in a old car facing the street two spots over from my car. Now my head is on a swivel as I walk to my car. I look at wife beater then look at the car as I move.

As I past the car one of the guys jumps out of the rear passenger seat and starts moving toward the rear of the car. All I could think about was that they were about to attempt to rob me and take my new pistol right in front of the gun store.

I picked up my pace while moving toward my car. Now I am looking behind me in the glass of the store window because I am trying to get to cover for the gun fight. As I turn to get beside my car I raise my shirt just enough to get my hand on the grip of my pistol so that I can kneel behind the engine block while fighting.

After making this quick thinking defensive move in my mind and mentally preparing for the fight I look up to see both guys going into the store. No one was behind me or trying to rob me, but I sure was paranoid and prepared.

I got into my car and quickly left the area. I was not worrying about them robbing the gun store because that was a fight that they would not win.

I guess that I said all of this to remind people to be aware of their surroundings at all times especially when you are walking about admiring a new toy. I am also glad that I did not have to test my skills.

The good thing about this entire situation is that I never thought that I might lose that gun fight.

Edited by LINKS2K
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a begger follow me to my truck at a shady gas station. He wanted "fiddy cens" to ride the bus but he was wearing some new Nikes that probably didn't cost much less than a case of .45. He also had some box that he was holding in a weird way. Everything about it seemed wrong.

It is crazy how your instincts just take over in those situations if you have mentally prepared yourself for it. I am glad you situation turn out well.

Guest KimberChick
would you have had the same bat senses if it would have been a rough looking redneck man with a mullet.

If he was indeed at GnA on Summer Ave., that "suspect description" is just as likely. There's a gas station across the street where the 50-something scruffy, white drug-addicts-on-SSDI hang out all day and look for opportunities to support their govt. cheese. I've watched them check car doors when folks go inside to pay. There's a halfway house on Summer Ave. nearby as well, but it was kept on the downlow when it opened.

Can't say if his would, but mine do. Hell, I live over there...

• Moderators
If he was indeed at GnA on Summer Ave., that "suspect description" is just as likely. There's a gas station across the street where the 50-something scruffy, white drug-addicts-on-SSDI hang out all day and look for opportunities to support their govt. cheese. I've watched them check car doors when folks go inside to pay. There's a halfway house on Summer Ave. nearby as well, but it was kept on the downlow when it opened.

This.

That area is like a nexus of ne'er do wells. Whatever variety you want, it's there.

I don't think it matters if it is a meth head, crack head or some clean cut looking college kid. If it don't feel right don't trust it. I am certain that cabbie in New York never expected to get attacked by that clean cut fare that stabbed him last week. I don't trust anyone.

Saw a LEO do a felony stop on a motor home Wednesday. The driver stopped and disappeared into the back of the home, LEO runs to drivers side and then around to the home door. After 10 seconds driver comes out and the officer throws him down and cuffs him. I thought the officer lost his situational awareness because someone else could have hopped out on him. You sound like you did not lose it and had the upper hand if something did go down.

Yup, glad you where ready, stayed cool and nothing bad happened.

Good move planning on using the Engine block as extra armor. Most people watch Movies and think a Car door is enough. I bet a .22 will go though most car doors. Engine block is going to stop most if not all hand guns.

It's always better when they think you're the squirrely one...:)

oh absolutely. Look as crazy as possible, I mean like batcrap crazy when you find yourself in these situations.

The only thing that makes people stay away from a grown man more is if the grown man starts crying. Gonna work on that if I ever get a speeding ticket again. :D

oh absolutely. Look as crazy as possible, I mean like batcrap crazy when you find yourself in these situations.

The only thing that makes people stay away from a grown man more is if the grown man starts crying. Gonna work on that if I ever get a speeding ticket again. :)

Dam I can't find a video on youtube for this.

I hate when I know the prefect video clip and can't find it.

From family guy.

Peter Griffin - Don't worry. I know how to handle this.

Cop - Are you aware you were going 50 in...

Cop - I'm gonna have to ask you to put your shirt down.

Peter Griffin - Crap. I get the one straight cop in Rhode Island.

Guest DanE479

THere have been many times that the spidey senses have kicked in, and caused me to avoid weird things. Now that I'm where I am, it sucks that I have no right to carry (see my other thread for the reasons).

Not carrying has made me even more aware of my surroundings and situations. It sucks.