Glock .40 to 9mm conversion...

Guest Glock23ForMe

Guest Glock23ForMe

So, as some of you probably recall, I've been in the market for a 9mm. HOWEVER, I was looking into a 9mm conversion kit for my G23. Any thoughts on this? What are some suggestions and opinions? Thanks in advance....

Drew.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Lone Wolf barrel for my G23 and enjoy it very much. Am using a G19 magazine when going 9mm but you might be able to use the original 23 mags. Don't recall if I've ever tried. My understanding is it will work with maybe a hiccup or two.

With the barrel and 9mm mag the setup runs flawlessly.

The only reason I do it is because I can. :)

Edited by Garufa

When I had a 23 I looked into this. My ultimate decision was that if I wanted a 9mm glock, converting the 23 wasn't the way to go. I used a 357Sig conversion in the .40 and had no problems with it, but the 9mm was a bridge too far for me. The .40 guns are not designed for the 9mm. I've since sold the 23 and bought a p30 and G26.

Guest Glock23ForMe
When I had a 23 I looked into this. My ultimate decision was that if I wanted a 9mm glock, converting the 23 wasn't the way to go. I used a 357Sig conversion in the .40 and had no problems with it, but the 9mm was a bridge too far for me. The .40 guns are not designed for the 9mm. I've since sold the 23 and bought a p30 and G26.

You sold your Glock?! :D

AFAIK, the Gen 3's were built around the 9mm and the Gen 4 are built around the .40. What made you choose not to go 9mm? Performance? Accuracy? Hard on the firearm?

The reason I chose my Glock for a carry was the reputation for reliability it has. Because of that, I would hesitate to change anything on the original design. Regardless of how minute.

I have read of FTF and FTE in the 9mm conversions. Mostly regarding the breech face being designed for a .40 and not perfectly fitting a 9mm. That is enough for me to dismiss the conversion for anything more than a financially sound alternative to training.

I can get past carrying an ugly gun if it performs to my expectations and I trust in it's reliability. I hope I never have to trust my life on it, but if I do, I want to know that it is going to what it was designed to do.

By converting it to do something it was not designed to do, I am by definition changing it from it's original design and right or wrong, it will change my opinion on how the tool will function.

Again, I wouldn't trust it for EDC. It was designed for a .40 S&W, and if it were mine, I would carry it with .40 S&W. That is my opinion, and yours may differ, but as requested, I explained why I wouldn't EDC a conversion.

I have considered a 9mm conversion barrel for my G23, but not bought one yet. I keep hearing rumors that I might find or develop extractor problems. Can anyone confirm or deny such claims? I have shot the Lone Wolf 9mm barrel in my 23 just to try it out and it seemed very reliable and was very accurate.

The reason I chose my Glock for a carry was the reputation for reliability it has. Because of that, I would hesitate to change anything on the original design. Regardless of how minute.

I have read of FTF and FTE in the 9mm conversions. Mostly regarding the breech face being designed for a .40 and not perfectly fitting a 9mm. That is enough for me to dismiss the conversion for anything more than a financially sound alternative to training.

I can get past carrying an ugly gun if it performs to my expectations and I trust in it's reliability. I hope I never have to trust my life on it, but if I do, I want to know that it is going to what it was designed to do.

By converting it to do something it was not designed to do, I am by definition changing it from it's original design and right or wrong, it will change my opinion on how the tool will function.

Again, I wouldn't trust it for EDC. It was designed for a .40 S&W, and if it were mine, I would carry it with .40 S&W. That is my opinion, and yours may differ, but as requested, I explained why I wouldn't EDC a conversion.

thanks

So, as some of you probably recall, I've been in the market for a 9mm. HOWEVER, I was looking into a 9mm conversion kit for my G23. Any thoughts on this? What are some suggestions and opinions? Thanks in advance....

Drew.

I don't own a Glock, but from what I have read and heard from others, that's one of the main reasons for having a G23. Can't you also convert it to .357 SIG?

I don't own a Glock, but from what I have read and heard from others, that's one of the main reasons for having a G23. Can't you also convert it to .357 SIG?

The .357 SIG is the same, other than the neck, as the .40 S&W. So the extractor and magazines will work with a 22/23/27 with a .357 SIG barrel. The conversion barrel has a different chamber so the cartridge can space the same. It is the same concept with a 9mm conversion barrel. However, the extractor and breech face are made for the larger .40 case and it doesn't perfectly fit the 9mm.

I wouldn't have the same issues shooting a .40 converted to .357 Sig, or the other way, as I would shooting either of them converted to shoot 9mm.

Now, if you were to go with a complete upper assembly from Lone Wolf with a 9mm breech and a 9mm barrel and put that on a .40 lower, that would change matters a bit.

But .40 breech and a 9mm barrel concerns me enough that I would not carry it.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I'm just looking for this for range and some competitive shooting, because I am really comfortable with my G23 and I wanna be able to save some $$ by shooting 9mm at the Range. I will definitely keep it in .40 S&W when I CC it and I don't plan on changing that, just for when I am at the range.

I'm just looking for this for range and some competitive shooting, because I am really comfortable with my G23 and I wanna be able to save some $$ by shooting 9mm at the Range. I will definitely keep it in .40 S&W when I CC it and I don't plan on changing that, just for when I am at the range.

That is what I assumed. In bulk 9mm is a lot cheaper than .40 S&W, which is the only reason I see for this making sense. One would obviously want the larger caliber for a carry.

With that said I don't own a .40. My Glock is a 9mm. I like 9mm. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Hahahahahahaha...

Yeah, I have some money coming and and wanted to see if it would be worth it.

Cause I can get 500 rounds of 9mm for a little under $90 bucks.

Whereas .40 S&W would be $170....

I'll take 9mm. :up:

Edited by Glock23ForMe