Any Alliant Bullseye Users Here(need advise)

I loaded some .357 mag with the Hornady 158gr LSWC and have gotten conflicting powder charge recipes,some manuals say start at 5.9 grains and others say start at 4.8.Is this loading at 5.9 grains going to be a little to hot for a lead bullet.I am using the Bullseye by Alliant.This load according to the Lee manual is going to be at over 1100 fps out of a 6 inch barrel.Any experience with this anyone.:ugh:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've generally found the starting loads in the Lee manual to be quite conservative. If it was me, I'd feel comfortable starting at Lee's starting load.

Well Ok,this makes me feel a little more assured,I followed the manual pretty close and even checked my grainage with 2 scales just to make sure.Its been about 10 years since I have done any reloading so I am a little rusty in the memory lane as far as load data goes.

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno much, but have read that with some powders, if you have too little powder rattling around in a big case, that paradoxically a too-small load can sometimes lead to over-pressure conditions. Because the powder burning dynamics can sometimes accelerate under certain conditions. Become a detonation rather than a fast burn. Dunno if that is true.

If that is true, then it would be reason to respect the minimum load limit as much as the max load limit.

Dunno much, but have read that with some powders, if you have too little powder rattling around in a big case, that paradoxically a too-small load can sometimes lead to over-pressure conditions. Because the powder burning dynamics can sometimes accelerate under certain conditions. Become a detonation rather than a fast burn. Dunno if that is true.

If that is true, then it would be reason to respect the minimum load limit as much as the max load limit.

Another good point, Lester! I was taught that under-powering your loads was always as dangerous (sometimes more dangerous) as over-powering them.

If it's the Hornady swaged bullets and you're pushing them at 1100, I'd say get ready to do some lead cleanout. Those and the Speer swaged always leaded my bbl. pretty badly. Hard cast were ok.

They used to say bullseye would detonate in .38 spl. cases when loaded with the standard target load of 2.5 grains behind a wadcutter. The story goes that the powder would settle along the side of the case (when held in firing position) and the primer would blow over the power causing it to detonate rather than just burn. There was also some notion that maybe the case got a double shot of powder causing an over pressure condition. I only use bullseye in 9mm, Unique for all my other lead bullet loads.

Edited by seez52
They used to say bullseye would detonate in .38 spl. cases when loaded with the standard target load of 2.5 grains behind a wadcutter.

There have been millions upon millions of that loading...2.5 - 3.5 grains and none have exploded. I honestly believe the culprit to be a double charge....even then it would not blow up a modern designed gun like a K frame or GP/SP. Unlike 9mm or .40...... .38 is a really hard gun to blow up.

To the OP -

I loaded some .357 mag with the Hornady 158gr LSWC and have gotten conflicting powder charge recipes,some manuals say start at 5.9 grains and others say start at 4.8.Is this loading at 5.9 grains going to be a little to hot for a lead bullet

My 48th Lyman manual has similar (155 and 160 lswc) at 7.0gr and 6.9gr as max charges. 4.8 and 4.9gr starting. You will NOT blow up your gun with that load, but it will be easy to double charge if you don't pay attention. The problem that you will have is that the hot powder will melt enough of that heavy bullet to where you are very likely to have excessive leading.

I personly would shoot them, then switch to 2400...it is THE powder for .357 magnum.

A couple of points.

1. If you want a max load I am going to assume you are trying to actually make a "Magnum" load. Bullseye is a poor choice for that. It is a great target powder though. As stated earlier, most soft or swaged lead bullets need to need to run slower, around 700-800 fps to leading. This can also be achieved in 38 special cases using even less powder, usually around 3.0 to 3.2 grains. I have rarely used Bullseye in 357 cases but I believe 4.5 to 5.0 for a target load was about right. I would go to Alliant's web page as they publish load data.

2. The exploding light charge rumor has been around longer than my 30 years of reloading. In all cases I have ever seen investigated, a double charge is the most likely cause, not a light charge. I used to load .5 grains in 38 cases with a toilet paper wad over the powder charge using 148 grain cast wadcutters as squib loads. Never had a problem.

3. If you want to produce a high performance load, use a much slower burning powder. I am a firm believer in Alliant 2400. Some use Hodgon H110/WW 296 (same powder BTW) and some like Alliant Blue Dot. In my experience, Blue Dot is a little unstable in light bullet loads and there was even a warning put out by Alliant some time back on Blue Dot. H110/296 works best with heavier bullets and longer barrels, plus it does not seem to be as cast bullet friendly as 2400. With 2400 you can get Magnum performance with light bullets, cast bullets(they still need to be hard cast and not swaged) or heavy bullets. I love the Keith 173 SWC over 13.5 grains. Very accurate.

4. One other compromise is a powder like Alliant Unique, which is one of the best cast bullet powders out there. It works well with jacketed bullets also. Very dirty powder but it is a classic and it will produce some of the most accurate loads with the least effort. It will turn your stainless guns black but a little solvent and a tooth brush will get them right back. Another medium powder is Accurate #5. I have had a little success with #5 but nothing like Unique. Last, but not least is WW 231/HP38(again same powder). I little faster powder than Unique but pretty flexible and a lot cleaner. Works great in 9mm's, 38 SPL's and 45 ACP's to boot. A medium burning powder like these will not get you the performance of 2400 but they give you a lot more velocity than a really fast powder like Bullseye. Still very economical. I have loaded 5.2 grains of 231 under anybodies 158 grain SWC bullet for a +P load of about 930FPS in 4" 357's for years. It will also shoot well in all steel 38's.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks Glockster

Bullseye looks like a pretty fast powder, compared to most powders recommended for .357--

Burn Rate Chart

Was looking over some published min/max loads for 158gr lead with various powders. Min published load in .357 seems to promise in the ballpark of 1000 to 1100 fps. However, min published load in .38 for 158gr lead seem to promise in the ballpark of 800 to 900 fps.

That is a great idea of making lead practice loads in .38 rather than .357! To avoid leading the barrel so much.

• 2 weeks later...